• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"I don't really listen to music..."

Not wanting to live in the biggest home I can possibly afford, and why I don't increase my spending every time I get a pay rise.

Good for you!

I once co-signed on a car for my mother and the car salesman had to check my credit score. He said, "We usually have to ask the bank to approve the loan first, but with your good credit score we know they'll give you a loan for whatever you want." I said, "That's funny, because you don't get a credit score like that by going out and getting loans for whatever you want." The salesman looked at me like I had three eyes. He couldn't understand why someone wouldn't want to just go out and buy everything they wanted.

I don't watch TV either. At least, not in real time. Which means I haven't a clue about celebrities, actors/actresses, reality shows, soap operas and other such things that become a topic of people's small talk. I opted out.
Me too! except my OCD hubby for a couple years got me interested in old black and white classics. So we would collect CD’s of all James Stewart and other old actors. But that became an obsession of my husband too much so we stick to TCM and ditched buying the CD’s except for a very small few that have moral redeeming factors used to educate others like the story about Nicky Cruze, or when our government thought hippies were going to poison city water with LSD. I like documentaries on certain subjects. Otherwise I hate TV.

I can’t name favorite music at all. I used to have a few favorites when young but music does not excite me any more. I used to wonder why people turned into old fogies that didn’t care for music much and now .i have become that person. I have a general love for all kinds except rap and present commercial country which sounds like electronic alternative with country chords. I hate that!Ugggggh! As a teen i liked hard rock and hated country song through your nose twangy belly rubbing music. Now I like those same old songs I hated like Hank Williams. I like them because I can sing along and remember the words and I remember that era. Even certain hip hop I like if catch and creative enough and unique. But I hate the run in the ground radio stations and don’t bother to turn on music. I don’t like the worldly negative lyrics of most anymore so if hubby turns on the radio in the car, I often turn it off. However, I support local mucisians through events and they are my acquaintance social circle. I promote them for free every chance I get.

Good for you!

I once co-signed on a car for my mother and the car salesman had to check my credit score. He said, "We usually have to ask the bank to approve the loan first, but with your good credit score we know they'll give you a loan for whatever you want." I said, "That's funny, because you don't get a credit score like that by going out and getting loans for whatever you want." The salesman looked at me like I had three eyes. He couldn't understand why someone wouldn't want to just go out and buy everything they wanted.
They always say that when you can qualify for more that what you applied for. It is just a feel goody statement. He probably thought you had wry humor and he didn’t have a comeback for you. Haha! You would have made me laugh. I’d have thought you made a funny joke to pick at me.

As a woman, I don't like shopping for clothes or shoes at all and find it strange that some other women have a million pairs of shoes. I mean really, they are just shoes!

Of course, I do buy and collect other things like dolls and stuffed animals, which many other people would find strange and would think I'm a compulsive hoarder for doing so. When I was a teenager and a young adult my mother tired to discourage me from doing this, but since my diagnoses she realizes that what makes me happy is more important than what is considered "normal".:)

“ I don’t watch TV.”

When I tell people this, they automatically assume I’m a hipster with a superiority complex that wants to go live in a yurt with my iPhone so I can keep instagramming about my spiritual and profound lifestyle.

In reality I don’t watch TV because the remote has been missing for 2 years and I can’t be bothered to get a new one.
Plus I don’t care much for the programming and the annoying commercials. If I want to watch a show I’ve got Prime Video and Netflix.

Same with music really. I have my interests and I’ll listen to those via streaming services and my CD collection. I can’t be bothered with radio full of crappy music and annoying presenters and commercials.

So yeah, maybe I am a bit of a hipster ;)
I don’t look down on people that do enjoy TV and radio, it’s just not my cup of tea. I also don’t want to do the yurt thing.
I am NT and don't watch TV either!! I hate TV. Nothing worth watching on there. That being said, I do watch the evening local news and a program about my state which tells about a lot of neat places. Other than that, I'd rather read.

I agree! It is just more stuff to clutter my brain and deal with. I have a shopaholic friend who clothing hoarding has taken over her life.
I don't care about any more clothes or shoes than I need! I have a friend who can't get rid of clothes that have hung in her closet for years and she never wears. You are a lot better off for not wanting to clutter up your life.

Me, too. I tell people that I was gone that one day in grade school when they lined up all the boys and passed out Interest in Sports. I came back the next day and they looked in the bottom of the box and said, "Sorry, Rex. All we have left is Interest in Math."

I know the basics of most sports, but in High School I would pretend to be absolutely ignorant of all sports just to avoid getting into a conversation about sports.
"Hey, Rex, who you rooting for in the Super Bowl?"
"I dunno. The Lakers? Or the Mariners?"
Sports are way overrated! Especially since they are all about money now. My husband doesn't watch or listen to any sports, and I like it that way.

Pizza is also a spectrum. At one end is New York Style and the other school cafeteria pizza.

I hate sports, cars, hunting...most of the things guys are supposed to be into. It causes awkwardness when dudes will just take for granted that I love football & come at me with "How 'bout them Cowboys?" (or whatever), or: "So what'd you think of the game?" All that **** is so mundane & just not worth my attention & bores me to death. I've tried to like them to fit in, but if it comes down to fitting in & having to sit around watching (watching! Not even actually PLAYING!) sports on TV I'll happily just not fit in. It's so cool to see here in the responses that there's other guys like that too..

I caught myself saying, this week, when asked why I don't get out more, that "I don't like people." It's not true, of course, but I didn't have the words at hand to describe exactly what I meant by that. Later, I figured out that what I *really* meant was "I don't feel I have the energy, right now, to go out and make new friends... and the thought of seeing the people I already know, exhausts me, as well."

Unfortunately, I'm always getting called on my verbal shorthand. Statements designed to stand in for the truth, and halt further conversation on that topic.

I don't drink alcohol, and I've never smoked cigarettes. Most adults have told me I'm really smart when I mention the latter, however. As a teenager I was very resistant to peer pressure.

I don't watch t.v. at all. No one seems to care about that however. I don't have much preference for one food opposed to another and have no problem just eating raw fruit or vegetables throughout the day. This doesn't seem odd. But when the family has asked about dinner and I've referred them to a bowl of tomatoes or apples in the fridge, it's not met with delight. :) It's never been a priority to me. The thing that seems to strike people as strange is that I consume pixie stix the way a chain smokers would smoke. I always offer them to those around me. But it's just met with a negative shake of the head.:D I know it's about the texture. But I don't know why I care about that. They also are confused by my fascination with all things to do with sand. I have quite a few sand timers and different kinds of sand to utilize. Along with many pictures of sand. Again I don't know exactly why this is important. I think it helps me feel balanced in some way. Folding the dirty laundry before putting it in the hamper has gotten a couple of raised eyebrows.

Last edited:
As for the not-liking-pizza thing, I always just say that I'm lactose intolerant, which isn't untrue, but truth is if I wanted the pizza I'd eat the pizza. But informing people that the effects of lactose intolerance means I'll fart up a storm usually stops the peer pressure.

Since socializing seems to revolve around eating, I have to make sure I have some sort of excuse for anything I'll be presented with because of my severely restricted preferences. Lactose intolerance covers most of it; if it's not slathered in/full of cheese it isn't American cuisine.

Then there's the not watching TV thing. Because of whole hipster thing with the yurt and the iphone I can't very well just say that I don't watch TV, so I just say that I don't watch much TV. Not true, as I don't watch any TV, but it seems to shock people a lot less.

I resent having to lie so much just to get by socially.

I resent having to lie so much just to get by socially
So do I.
New neighbors two houses from us started moving in and the man I live with likes them.
They are always outside talking about the lawn, home improvements, whatever.
Yesterday as we pulled into the driveway, the new guy was out working on his lawn and making gardens
around the front porch.
Frank asked me to go over with him and meet them.
So I did and we're standing in 95 degree heat in the sun.
Out comes the wife with bottles of water.
She starts talking with me, telling me how glad she was to finally meet me.
Said she sees me out in our gardens all the time bent over doing stuff and all she had seen of me was
a nice 'rear-view.'
Ha, I work the gardens out front that way on purpose. I don't want to be bothered with neighbors that
might come over to see what I'm doing and try to make small talk. (Didn't tell her that.)

We must have been out there talking and looking around the home improvements for an hour in the sun.
The husband gets a big umbrella out of the garage and he and Frank sit down in lawn chairs yakking away
under the umbrella.
The wife keeps showing me vases, statuary, a fountain and asking landscaping ideas.
I feel faint from the sun. The guys sit under the umbrella.

Finally I made a break by telling Frank we had to get dinner ready.
We get home and he said: "That wasn't so hard was it? Did you enjoy the chat?"
"No."
I said they are nice people looking for friends in their new neighborhood.

Later I was thinking how I really didn't want to become too friendly though because it would lead
to invitations to dinner or wanting me to go with her to shop for plants or play with their two kids.
Then the make up excuses would start coming into play.
After dinner I took a two hour nap and was exhausted from the event.

That is why I don't get too close with people, because it will lead to things I don't want to do and
find myself making excuses to get out of it.

I don't do politics, religion, or watch much TV. I also don't do social media in a traditional sense. For example having a billion "friends" and posting anything that hits my ego just right, science, history, or truth be damned...

New Threads

Top Bottom