• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"I don't really listen to music..."

pamelaperejil

Non-player character
... is my answer whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like.

What weird habits or preferences do you have difficulty explaining to others?

Last edited:
Usually I run into problems when I try to explain that I am not an ideological thinker.

Also as odd as it may seem, not sensing things like envy or jealousy can be problematic too.

I think I am the only one in the world that does not like pizza. But to be serious, people never ask me this. I think I am too serious.

I think I am the only one in the world that does not like pizza. But to be serious, people never ask me this. I think I am too serious.

My daughter doesn't like pizza either. For reference we are Italian-Americans...

I used to answer that question with "I like lots of kinds of music" without having any real preference at all. Now, I have decided that I like Folk and Classical music best, and in fact there's a specific kind of Folk that I like (since folk can really mean anything).

That said, even though I do like music and like a very specific kind, I do find that I don't actually listen to music very much, simply because it's too distracting. I simply can't usually put music on in the background and then concentrate on doing something else; I find that the music just makes me stressed out because I can't concentrate on what I'm doing unless what I'm doing truly is mindless.

So the result is that unless I'm listening to music and doing nothing else, I don't generally listen to music. And doing nothing but listening to music is kind of boring...

I have a variety of music I like, from military marches and brass band music to folk songs, to pop numbers, to film soundtracks. Country and western music too as well as polka and Spanish singers.

There are so many different varieties of pizza. I'm sure you'd find one you'd like.

80's rock helps me to concentrate while driving.
Listening to the words distracts me from my racing thoughts which is even more distracting than the music.
It actually helps keep me calm while driving and can help me get to sleep when I can't shut my mind down.
I guess that in itself isn't easy for most to understand.

The hardest thing to explain that people always thought weird about me especially when younger,
was why I didn' t want the things they thought all girls should want.
Dolls, marriage, children, sex, looking and acting all feminine.
Couldn't make them understand that just isn't me. I think it is more acceptable in this day and age though than it was 40 years ago.

Asexuality. Most people seem to find the concept of not being sexually attracted to anyone to be beyond their comprehension.

Not wanting to have my home cluttered with random junk, huge amounts of clothes, and things like TVs.

Not wanting to live in the biggest home I can possibly afford, and why I don't increase my spending every time I get a pay rise.

"What kind of music do you like?" - I have no difficulty at all with this question :D

The question I find difficult is "Do you go to the beach?". I live in an area with a lot of beach tourism, both tourists and locals go to the beach in the summer. They just can't grasp that I'm not into beaches and that I don't go to the beach. They think that everyone must go to the beach (or there must be something wrong with you).

“ I don’t watch TV.”

When I tell people this, they automatically assume I’m a hipster with a superiority complex that wants to go live in a yurt with my iPhone so I can keep instagramming about my spiritual and profound lifestyle.

In reality I don’t watch TV because the remote has been missing for 2 years and I can’t be bothered to get a new one.
Plus I don’t care much for the programming and the annoying commercials. If I want to watch a show I’ve got Prime Video and Netflix.

Same with music really. I have my interests and I’ll listen to those via streaming services and my CD collection. I can’t be bothered with radio full of crappy music and annoying presenters and commercials.

So yeah, maybe I am a bit of a hipster ;)
I don’t look down on people that do enjoy TV and radio, it’s just not my cup of tea. I also don’t want to do the yurt thing.

Last edited:
That I have zero interest in sports as a guy.

Same here. I used to like sports, but I can't be bothered with them anymore. I find them mildly interesting at best, but lately that's been sliding off into antipathy. I am beginning to actively hate sports.

The pizza out here tastes like greasy cardboard. I don't eat any pizza I don't make myself.

Asexuality.

Yep. It's not prudishness, it's not lack of options, it's not being depressed or suffering from trauma or never having had the "right kind" of sex or being in denial or whatever. It's its own thing and needs to be treated as such.

“ I don’t watch TV.”

I probably watch even less TV than you. I don't have a television. I occasionally watch old DVDs, mostly for background noise. About one year out of three I poke my head into Netflix to see what I'm missing, then quickly get bored and leave again. There's just not much on TV that can hold my interest.

I don't watch TV either. At least, not in real time. Which means I haven't a clue about celebrities, actors/actresses, reality shows, soap operas and other such things that become a topic of people's small talk. I opted out.

I just cut the cable yesterday! The tech came in & took my cable box & everything. I do 100% streaming now.

That looks good!
Actually LearnedCoward, I used to do something similar with tortillas. Only I never thought of using condensed milk. I mixed butter, sugar, Hershey’s cocoa. melted it a little and mixed. Then I rolled it inside a tortilla with pecans inside. The sugar, butter, cocoa gets all fudgy and the pecans get toasty. Great on a cold day! Yum!

That I have zero interest in sports as a guy.

Me, too. I tell people that I was gone that one day in grade school when they lined up all the boys and passed out Interest in Sports. I came back the next day and they looked in the bottom of the box and said, "Sorry, Rex. All we have left is Interest in Math."

I know the basics of most sports, but in High School I would pretend to be absolutely ignorant of all sports just to avoid getting into a conversation about sports.
"Hey, Rex, who you rooting for in the Super Bowl?"
"I dunno. The Lakers? Or the Mariners?"

New Threads

Top Bottom