• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How not to hate yourself when you do something crazy

William Weiler

Ad Astra
I woke up Sunday at 6am. I started watching a new anime World Trigger. I stopped at noon or so and went for walk, and I went to the market, and likely another walk. I turned off the PC at 2:30am. I had watched 44 episodes. I can't believe it. How is this possible? I told someone and I could feel shock at myself. It's like I can't even deal with myself. I will do this again based on a linear extrapolation. How do I deal with this extreme stuff I do?

I enjoyed it the whole time.

If you enjoyed it, it’s not hurting anyone and you’re not neglecting any important duties to binge watch a show, I don’t see the problem. I also don’t see how binge watching a show on a weekend day constitutes doing something crazy. It’s not uncommon behavior. Why would you hate yourself or need to feel shock at yourself?

That's called bingeing and it is a time-honored tradition among us otokus. Some anime are better for it than others because they are written to leave you hanging at the end of the episode. I have been known to reserve an entire day for just watching anime, getting up only to eat and do the occasional chore. World Trigger is a good one for that. There are shows like Naruto and Fairy Tail and One Piece that have several hundred episodes out and you can lose yourself in them almost forever.

Any interest can turn into an obsession if it is the only thing that really moves you. It is important to develop other competing interests that are just as fun to engage in.

Maybe you could learn how not to hate yourself about this best by doing it some more? Practice makes perfect...

You don't have to hate yourself for this. A lot of people binge watch stuff like that., especially during a pandemic.
Do you feel like you are being irresponsible and you should do some productive stuff instead? Or is there some other reason you feel this way?

I watch many episodes of a Korean drama series and therefore, end up finishing it too fast, but sure do enjoy it and what I do, is utilise my time. So, all I really do not want to do, I do and give myself a gift of watching dramas lol

Being irresponsible is really about not doing what you are supposed to do, to do what you want to do and I know it is difficult, but it is achievable.

I used to procrastinate hugely, but finally thought: tomorrow always arrives, so best to do it straight away and then you can relax and that helps me hugely to do what I need to do and then, reward myself with something I enjoy.

Binge watching series is not an autistic thing and many NTs, especially younger do it too. As Bolletje said it is not a problem becuase you didn't hurt someone. The real crazy things that I sometimes make are hurting someone's feelings or making an accident or near-accident (for example place a hot saucepan on plastic surface which will easily melt because of heat). If you don't do this it's all fine. When you do a crazy thing do something else to forget it if there's no any damage, apologize if you hurt someone and try to fix any damage you made.

I watch many episodes of a Korean drama series and therefore, end up finishing it too fast, but sure do enjoy it and what I do, is utilise my time. So, all I really do not want to do, I do and give myself a gift of watching dramas lol

Being irresponsible is really about not doing what you are supposed to do, to do what you want to do and I know it is difficult, but it is achievable.

I used to procrastinate hugely, but finally thought: tomorrow always arrives, so best to do it straight away and then you can relax and that helps me hugely to do what I need to do and then, reward myself with something I enjoy.

I love korean dramas too, i used to binge watch them like crazy, the only reason i don't binge watch nowadays is because i don't have the attention span anymore.( I am watching True Beauty although btw!)

I also do what you recommend, do the stuff i have to do like cleaning-cooking, reading/watching things related to my job. After that rewarding myself with an episode of my favorite drama.

Not to trivialize too much, but in terms of things you can do to make you hate yourself, this is pretty low on the list.

Make you feel bad about yourself, sure, but hate yourself is pretty harsh.

This isn't crazy at all. It's perfectly normal, and with the advent of streaming services has become a standard way to watch TV. I've dedicated entire days or at least afternoons to to favorite series. I watched all of The Queen's Gambit in one day.

A lot of people do this, especially 30-somethings and younger.

I love korean dramas too, i used to binge watch them like crazy, the only reason i don't binge watch nowadays is because i don't have the attention span anymore.( I am watching True Beauty although btw!)

I also do what you recommend, do the stuff i have to do like cleaning-cooking, reading/watching things related to my job. After that rewarding myself with an episode of my favorite drama.

What portal do you use? I am using dramacool and yes, I am also watching true beauty, but right now have 4, I think going on, due to having to wait for episodes to get dubbed, as my Korean is not good enough to watch raw.

First love again, has all the episodes downloaded and is fantastic.
A good supper.
Man in a veil, which is so frustrating.
Homemade love story.
True Beauty
Run on

And all because most are from the end of last year, to the beginning of this year and because I need to be able to watch something, so do the unforgiveable and watch at each chance, whereas when I first started, I watched one drama at one time and then started on another.

What is your user name?

I guess all the trouble I cause myself in social situations. I make good progress. It didn't occur to me to stop, or what I was doing was unusual, but I know I can't tell anyone except someone here. It just I am doing so great and then something I have to make sure no one finds out. I am getting used to it. I will come to understanding and acceptance. I have two other issues as big as Autism, and one resolved enough recently to begin dealing with what everyone here does. The social consequences of idiot/savant and being unfiltered. I used to hang out with mentally ill people or severely traumatized people and it was fine. It was dangerous, but we could relate. I kind of moved on to the "normies". Then the **** hit the fan and I had to be a normal person, and deal with this new awareness of Autism. There is very likely others dealing with this, but they have to be the minority.

What portal do you use? I am using dramacool and yes, I am also watching true beauty, but right now have 4, I think going on, due to having to wait for episodes to get dubbed, as my Korean is not good enough to watch raw.

First love again, has all the episodes downloaded and is fantastic.
A good supper.
Man in a veil, which is so frustrating.
Homemade love story.
True Beauty
Run on

And all because most are from the end of last year, to the beginning of this year and because I need to be able to watch something, so do the unforgiveable and watch at each chance, whereas when I first started, I watched one drama at one time and then started on another.

What is your user name?

I also use dramacool, sometimes kissasian and viki. I don't think i am registered to any of these though. I might have forgotten too. It would be nice to have an account though i guess, to share our opinions.

I also have Extraordinary You, and dramas from the endless Love series on my to-watch list. My favorites of all time are probably Scarlet Heart Ryeo, my id is Gangnam Beauty and Goblin!

@William Weiler

I see what you mean. From what i understand you hate yourself bc you do something that is out of the norm. But like others said it is not a crime to be out of the norm.
You are seeing yourself from other's eyes when you hate yourself, so you internalize their hatred and judgment. But you have to consider the fact that other people are not you. Others don't experience your difficulties. I am not saying its wrong to feel what you feel, you can't help what you feel. But it's okay to give yourself a break too, you don't have to wallow in negative thoughts and don't deserve it either.

Last edited:
my id is Gangnam Beauty

That was one I watched a few times.

The very first Korean drama I watched was Heirs and then: boys over flowers and they got me hooked and have not been able to look at western dramas nor other asian dramas. I guess you could call me obsessed with Korea now.

What astonished me was how they normalise toilet issues.

I used to use Asianvote, but it got bugged and so stopped.

You will find me easily, because I use the same picture as here and my name.

I miss binging on anime. I think the only time I truly binged was when I was 12 and watched Evangelion in one sitting.

But why should you hate yourself? If you don't have other duties, and it's your free time, do as you wish.

I woke up Sunday at 6am. I started watching a new anime World Trigger. I stopped at noon or so and went for walk, and I went to the market, and likely another walk. I turned off the PC at 2:30am. I had watched 44 episodes. I can't believe it. How is this possible? I told someone and I could feel shock at myself. It's like I can't even deal with myself. I will do this again based on a linear extrapolation. How do I deal with this extreme stuff I do?

I enjoyed it the whole time.

The last thing you said is that you enjoyed it the whole time so I think it is something you do not need to fix or change. Are you worried how it would seem odd to regular people and that makes you think you shouldn't do it?

I have a question that isn't about the point of your thread but I want to ask, how can an extrapolation be anything but linear? I visualize everything I think or or feel and I always saw extrapolation as a line with beginning, some known events and a guess at the end based on the previous.

I am worried about your sleep (and mine). If we need to be on schedule in a day or so's time we need to keep it practical.

At one time the bedside story and being "tucked in" was a treat; nowadays I keep a phenomenology book handy as an incentive to turn in!

Sunday I spent all day watching anime. Today I spent the day on this forum. I deserve praise for my consistency :)

Yeah, thanks, I am over it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom