• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone experimented with nutrition to help alleviate autistic challenges?

Mary Anne

V.I.P Member
This doctor and his ideas came up on another thread. The doctor is a extremely well known nutritionist, and best selling author. He is well connected to some of the best wellness doctors in the nutritional industry. At first I thought he was a scammer and con artist until I started reading about him, and researching all his scientific links, and footnotes to scientific studies in published journals. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

I certainly do not think autism can be “cured” and I disprove when he mentioned vaccines. However, nutrition changes have been shown scientifically to enhance the lives of autistic children in studies published in peer reviewed journals. Has anyone experimented with nutrition to help alleviate autistic challenges?

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/19/why-current-thinking-about-autism-is-completely-

Last edited:
Very interesting question. Simply put, a whole lot of articles show up when you google "Autism as an issue relative to dietary concerns?".

Interesting reading, yet nothing conclusive. And one of those sources not to be so easily dismissed.

Nutritional Status of Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Do We Know Enough?

I feel everyone can benefit from a severe healthy change to their diet. People with depression, addictions, and adhd, anxiety etc, all can benefit from stopping all processed foods, sugar, chemicals, etc. Benifit yes, but let’s not believe that we can cure autism. Genetics are carried along regardless of the foods we eat, right? So this is pretty ballsy to make the claims the doctor makes.

I feel everyone can benefit from a severe healthy change to their diet. People with depression, addictions, and adhd, anxiety etc, all can benefit from stopping all processed foods, sugar, chemicals, etc. Benefit yes, but let’s not believe that we can cure autism. Genetics are carried along regardless of the foods we eat, right? So this is pretty ballsy to make the claims the doctor makes.

It's too broad an issue to merely confine to autism. But equally broad in how much anyone can potentially profit from a better diet.

Though in the US at least there remains a staggering amount of food additives which are designed to enhance consumption rather than any sense of improved health, which compounds it all. And yes, genetics can very much influence the equation on a highly individual basis as well. Where some may overcome so much toxicity to be concerned about, while others may succumb to it earlier than any assessed averages.

It's too broad an issue to merely confine to autism. But equally broad in how much anyone can potentially profit from a better diet.

Though in the US at least there remains a staggering amount of food additives which are designed to enhance consumption rather than any sense of improved health, which compounds it all.

Yes, but in another article brought to my attention, by same doctor , stating that we might be able to “cure” autism with nutrition. I have read other doctors saying the same of ADHD in children, and pretty much any other behavioral issues.

Yes, but in another article brought to my attention, by same doctor , stating that we might be able to “cure” autism with nutrition. I have read other doctors saying the same of ADHD in children, and pretty much any other behavioral issues.

That's something I have grave doubts over myself. But I suppose science could simply consider this a bias on my part. I'm inclined to think that there may well be no actual "cure" for autism- period.

However the possibilities for better nutrition yielding better health in general seems sound enough. But for the same concept to manifest miraculous cures is a stretch IMO.

But who knows? Maybe the Kanamits will land on Earth and show us how to create cornstalks a 100 feet high and end world famine. And even give us their personal cookbook titled "To Serve Man". :eek:

Of course there are others with approaches more in line with genetics rather than nutrition. Whose good intentions may also yield more unforeseen consequences, not so humorous.

Then again perhaps some day science might conclude Neurodiversity to be a natural state. That we aren't supposed to be "cured". Unfortunately so far Hollywood hasn't provided us with that particular scenario for me to post.

Last edited:
Along the lines of benefiting from a better diet, I recently saw a book advertised about eating the correct diet for your blood type. I had never heard of that before.

We are not slaves to our genes. Epigenetics shows that the defects or SNP's can be switched on or off. It is environment including diet and toxic assault that matters.

We are not slaves to our genes. Epigenetics shows that the defects or SNP's can be switched on or off. It is environment including diet and toxic assault that matters.

Do you have some links I could read about this gene switching off and on? I have heard of some research still in its infancy, but there is also ethics involved, and huge controversies debated. If we were doing this genetic switching currently, wouldn’t it end all forms of addictions, and genetic illness? It sounds very s I fi, because we might all wind up quite the same in the future. Not good.

Have you been able to minimize your autism with diet and other orthomoleculor changes? Please share.

I have tired various diets and have had success with each one but only so far. They have not touched anxiety or depression but I am hoping my new plant based one will make a big difference yes.

I would not attempt othomolecular intervention again as my biochemistry is so messed up with chemicals and Lyme.

Do you have some links I could read about this gene switching off and on? I have heard of some research still in its infancy, but there is also ethics involved, and huge controversies debated. If we were doing this genetic switching currently, wouldn’t it end all forms of addictions, and genetic illness? It sounds very s I fi, because we might all wind up quite the same in the future. Not good.

https://www.nature.com/articles/hdy201054

I have had my genome sequenced and believe that my diet had had an effect. I have a family of CVD, schizophrenia, and aneurisms and believe that my healthy eating has switched these genes off.

I have had my genome sequenced and believe that my diet had had an effect. I have a family of CVD, schizophrenia, and aneurisms and believe that my healthy eating has switched these genes off.

Wow. I have worked in mental agencies with many people who live with schizophrenia. I have never heard of any of this in my training or education! I doubt many of the high functioning schizophrenics I know have either. They are, sadly, often heavily medicated, and deal with horrible side effects of the meds. Truly, the side effects seem to me, just as bad as if they stayed unmedicated.

What is CVD? I have always had an impossible time with memorizing letter meetings.

Wow. I have worked in mental agencies with many people who live with schizophrenia. I have never heard of any of this in my training or education! I doubt many of the high functioning schizophrenics I know have either. They are, sadly, often heavily medicated, and deal with horrible side effects of the meds. Truly, the side effects seem to me, just as bad as if they stayed unmedicated.

What is CVD? I have always had an impossible time with memorizing letter meetings.

Cardio vascular disease.

Not sure I agree with diet and Autism. I'm overweight but that's more because of what I eat and not my disability.

I've read several claims made concerning nutrition, stomach flora, etc. Until such has multiple large scale studies to back up the assertions with hard data, I consider them most likely false.

New Threads

Top Bottom