• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Here

lonny41

I was diagnosed with aspergers long ago, I'm 58 now. I went to a psychologist diagnosing myself with a personality disorder. He sent me to a lady neuropsychologist. I didn't know why I had to go to her. When she told me what she did, I lost it. It's only been the last year I told my family and am coming to terms with it.

1714161047232.png

What do neuropsychologists do that made you upset? I never heard of them before.

I was diagnosed with aspergers long ago, I'm 58 now. I went to a psychologist diagnosing myself with a personality disorder. He sent me to a lady neuropsychologist. I didn't know why I had to go to her. When she told me what she did, I lost it. It's only been the last year I told my family and am coming to terms with it.

Hello, welcome. I was diagnosed by a neuropsychologist when I was 38, I am 56 now. I was glad to know though I thought the testing very unpleasant. Coming to this site 10 years ago and learning so much about other people living like me helped so much.

What do neuropsychologists do that made you upset? I never heard of them before.

I do not know what they do but that is the kind that diagnosed me when I was 38. She did many tests, some visual in books or on paper, she asked questions. I cannot remember the rest. She was very cold and did nothing but test me, no other conversation. Totally efficient. One of the first things I noticed and told her about in her office was her clear plastic makeup bag which was bothering me a lot.

She asked why. I said because it was unlike anything else she had. It was different and there was no pattern. Everything else was connected to other things there but not that clear plastic bag. It sill upsets me now thinking about it. It just was not right. My brain needs patterns and for things to make sense. I wonder if what I said about it was part of or affected my test.

The most surprising test was one that maybe was supposed to challenge different parts of my brain at once. I was surprised because even though I understood her clear and simple directions I could not do it. I tried really hard but my brain would not let my hand go where it was supposed to. Odd thing.

Hello and welcome, @lonny41. Hope you enjoy the forum. There are so many folks to learn from here and many people who will be interested in your experience in the world as well. Let us know if you need any help figuring out the forum.

New Threads

Top Bottom