• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone experimented with nutrition to help alleviate autistic challenges?

Mediterranean diet: A heart-healthy eating plan
Key components of the Mediterranean diet

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:

• Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
  • Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
  • Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
  • Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
  • Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
  • Enjoying meals with family and friends
  • Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)
  • Getting plenty of exercise

Was the article about the benefits of a ketogenic diet about adults with ASD?
Ketogenic diets are recommended for children and adults with seizures, for which seizure medications are not working. Its more of a last resort because the ketogenic diet it is very restrictive and its reported to be very difficult (and expensive) to continue long term. The ketogenic diet lacks in natural sources of dietary fiber which is very important for normal GI functioning. The mechanism of action for the ketogenic diet is still not fully understood but from clinical trials, it would seem that ketones have a sedative effect on the nervous system.

Neurobiochemical mechanisms of a ketogenic diet in refractory epilepsy

Limiting processed foods, incorporating fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, lean protein, and eating more whole grain sources of carbohydrates are all great ways to support the body by providing it with what it needs to function optimally. Overall aiming for an healthy diet and regular physical activity (and sleep!) will result in better overall management of most health conditions including those associated with disturbances in the functioning of the nervous system, like ASD.

When I did the Ketogenic diet for 3 weeks, it had anything BUT a “sedative effect” on me. I was full of more alertness and energy than ever before. Cutting out carbs and sugars does that. I do not understand about the sedative effects, but I felt like I could run marathons all day every day.

Last edited:
Some people say gluten and dairy are bad. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't eat dairy. There was this one time I was on vacation. Everything was going fine. Then mom got vegan bagels which I had for the next few days. Every morning after breakfast with these bagels I would flip out and get loud for no apparent reason. Mom decided to look at the ingredients of the bagels and the first ingredient was vital wheat gluten, which is basically concentrated gluten. This isn't the first ingredient of most bagels but since they were vegan the ingredients were different. I didn't have anymore of the bagels and was fine the following days. A few years back I ended up getting major stomach aches. I cut out gluten and it went away. So now I've been gluten free and dairy free for about 3 years. I'm still autistic, I still have meltdowns sometimes, not much has changed. I think things like gluten are fine in moderation for most autistics, just don't overdo it.

Ketogenic diets are good for short term use, but nutritionists and doctors advise against it for long term use. It is unhealthy to engage for more than a couple months.

They have me on a healthy diet for the most part and ply me with a few supplements including probiotics. But this is to help me operate better, rather than intended as a treatment for autism itself.

Nutrition certainly effects the coping capabilities of those with ADHD, depression, and anxiety. There are numerous scientific nutritional studies backing this up, with children and with adults. So as far as having autism and a dual diagnosis, nutrition does help.

This doctor and his ideas came up on another thread. The doctor is a extremely well known nutritionist, and best selling author.

It is a scam; a fraud; an attempt to rob people. One does not use "nutrition" to treat autism for exactly the same reason one does not use "nutrition" to treat homosexuality, or green eyes. One can use drugs to mask some of the symptoms of autism, but "nutrition" will not.

Your "doctor" belongs in prison, then Hell.

It is a scam; a fraud; an attempt to rob people. One does not use "nutrition" to treat autism for exactly the same reason one does not use "nutrition" to treat homosexuality, or green eyes. One can use drugs to mask some of the symptoms of autism, but "nutrition" will not.

Your "doctor" belongs in prison, then Hell.

First, the semantics of words is confusing you and I am sorry you are upset. Nutrition and diet choices are scientifically known to help children with adhd, and also with some of the physical and mental/ emotional challenges of autism. There is an amazing amount of scientific literature, as well as parents finding out that their children have better behaviors, and less IBS, and other gastrointestinal issues when diet is changed. Many children with Autism do suffer with physical challenges such as gastrointestinal issues. So yes, the symptoms that attach to certain conditions can be minimized. No one suggests that a food can change a person completely from something they were born with, but dietary changes can help people suffering with all sorts of things, as well as hyperactivity. Sugar, wheat products, and chemilly processed foods are known disrupters which cause inflammation and cause many problems.

This science of nutrition is know around the world in some countries more than others. Nutrition can help those with substance abuse addictions, and help minimize unwanted symptoms of those suffering from depressive and anxiety disorders. Nutrients feed our bodies and are the way our body functions, and helps heal itself in times of need. So yes, it makes perfect sense. Which is why some people go sugar free, or soda free, or wheat free, or gluten free. There are reasons for making dietary choices. Too much salt, or sugar, or chemical crap foods do change the way we all feel, and react.

"Upset?" Good gods that's hilarious!

You sounded upset. When science is villafied and demonized, we are going back to the Medieval Ages. The unwanted symptoms of a thing can sometimes be correlated to external factors. One would not pour sugar into a automobile gas tank. One is careful as to what kind of gasoline goes into it also. Same thing here for humans. Many unwanted symptoms might find basis in things we put into our bodies.

Then you will wait forever - it is not in Pharma's best interest to study natural ways of improving health. I read the proper studies on the best diet that is plant based whole food and tried it myself - and it works.

Mediterranean diet: A heart-healthy eating plan
Key components of the Mediterranean diet

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:

• Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
  • Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
  • Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
  • Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
  • Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
  • Enjoying meals with family and friends
  • Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)
  • Getting plenty of exercise

I do number 1, 3 and 8; also to some extent 2, but I reduce oils and replace them with vinegar Other than being in good shape I have experience no mental benefits in regards to ASD, and this is after making it a way of life and not an experiment.

I also engage in meditation and yoga.............these don't "cure" ASD either. At least not for me.

ASD just means that you will experience these things in a different way than NT. That doesn't mean you don't benefit from them. I would suggest you try most of it, except the meat, probably better to just cut that out completely. If something absolutely requires cooking it, then there is a pretty good chance that people are not well adapted to eating it.

A number of medical and behavioral issues frequently occur with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). These “co-morbid conditions” include anxiety, depression, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), gastrointestinal (GI) problems, sleep disturbances and epilepsy.

Gastrointestinal (GI) disorders are among the most common medical conditions associated with autism. These issues range from chronic constipation or diarrhea to irritable and inflammatory bowel conditions. They can affect persons of any age. But in the context of autism, they have been most studied in children.

For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently found that children with autism are more than 3.5 times more likely to suffer chronic diarrhea or constipation than are their normally developing peers. Other researchers have found a strong link between GI symptoms and autism severity in children. Some experts have even proposed that toxins produced by abnormal gut bacteria may trigger or worsen autism in some children.

Understandably, the pain and discomfort caused by GI symptoms can worsen behavior and even trigger regression in persons with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This may be particularly true of nonverbal persons who have difficulty expressing their distress.

In addition, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that children with autism or other developmental disorders have higher than expected rates of an even broader range of medical conditions. Specifically, these children are:

* 1.8 times more likely than children without developmental disabilities to have asthma,
* 1.6 times more likely to have eczema or skin allergies,
* 1.8 times more likely to have food allergies,
* 2.2 times more likely to have chronic severe headaches, and
* 3.5 times more likely to have chronic diarrhea or colitis (inflammation of the colon).

Some of these issues can be helped by dietary changes.

Many parents of children with ASDs report that behavior improves when their children eat a diet free of the proteins gluten and casein. Gluten is found primarily in wheat, barley and rye; casein, in dairy products.

Many parents have reported that probiotics ("good" bacteria) help ease gastrointestinal distress in their children.

So, the comorbid SYMPTOMS associated WITH autism may be minimized by dietary changes. No one says that diet “cures” autism.

Last edited:
My hubby gets this natural thing to give to me and it helps me some. I don't think I'll ever be "cured" though.

As for vaccines, I don't trust em. Sorry.

Good nutrition is always good, along with exercise. I'm 20kg heavier that last year and yes I don't think as well.
In relation to the Neuroscientific studies, which is something I study, you must be very careful as these studies are done on mouse models. So call them humanised mice; however, I have never seen them chatting on blogs (you get my drift). Neurone development from conception to death is not really understood. Even the biological mechanisms behind Parkinson's and Schizophrenia are not very well understood, if at all, that's why we still call the a hypothesis.
Science has a better understanding but at the end of the day, we don't know yet.
I will put it like this: If you were a mouse you could probable be cured of anything. Unfortunately it doesn't translate to humans most of the time.
This may surprise you but over the years many scientists have tried thing out on themselves or amongst themselves. It still happens today, because ethics committees are reluctant to send experimental therapies to clinical trial. Which is a shame because our biggest discoveries in medical science were in the year where, if the doctor knew a potential experimental treatment could work they would pursue it.
In relation to curing Autism, I would say targeting the debilitating effects of any condition. Not in the endeavour to make someone normal; however, to improve their quality of life.
For instance, one of my relatives has a condition called spina bifida, it's a disabling condition. But there was a recent test developed so pregnant mothers can choose to terminate the pregnancy. Now I didn't really think much about it until I spoke to Jane (not her real name). She said; "Are we too inconvenient to live. So, because others find our disability difficult to cope, it's us who aren't allowed to exist."
So what seemed GOOD (a pregnancy test for spina bifida), it turned out it wasn't RIGHT.
This is the argument I always have in my head....is it a GOOD intention or.....is it the RIGHT intention.
All wars have been fought in the name of the common GOOD....
....doesn't mean it's RIGHT.

Okay enough banging on ;-)

My hubby gets this natural thing to give to me and it helps me some. I don't think I'll ever be "cured" though.

As for vaccines, I don't trust em. Sorry.

The vaccine scandal is seriously not right.
I can also say since the invention of google, autism diagnosis has gone up; therefore, google cause a pandemic of autism.
Not saying vaccines are 100% safe. You have more chance of getting lung cancer from living in a city than to have a reaction from a vaccine.
Still wouldn't like small pox, which would still be endemic in some part of the world.

Great topic!!

I have had to make countless adjustments and additions to my daily diet and nutrition intake. Where to start, I do not know.

I have researched nutrition books and the Autism Coach Website to help me go through the hard knocks I have to endure on a daily basis. For my employment, to socialize meaningfully, and even to drive in town I often have to take some nutritional supplements.

My most important changes that I have made are getting rid of wheat gluten, cow dairy/casein proteins, processed foods, and sugar. I use omega 3 capsules, L-Tyrosine, glutamine, magnesium bisglycinate powder and creatine to name a few
things I use. I make an amino shake and take quite a few vitamins and herbal pills before going to work. No grains but hemp hearts, maca powder and roasted carob for my pre-work shift meals.

A lot of stuff but it works!

Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food". I'm a big believer in the power of nutrition. I'm currently doing a variation of the carnivore diet. I am skeptical of it's long term effects however, it has all but cleared my hip bursitis.

New Threads

Top Bottom