• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone experimented with nutrition to help alleviate autistic challenges?

This doctor and his ideas came up on another thread. The doctor is a extremely well known nutritionist, and best selling author. He is well connected to some of the best wellness doctors in the nutritional industry. At first I thought he was a scammer and con artist until I started reading about him, and researching all his scientific links, and footnotes to scientific studies in published journals. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

I certainly do not think autism can be “cured” and I disprove when he mentioned vaccines. However, nutrition changes have been shown scientifically to enhance the lives of autistic children in studies published in peer reviewed journals. Has anyone experimented with nutrition to help alleviate autistic challenges?

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/19/why-current-thinking-about-autism-is-completely-

Have you read some of the emerging research about the microbiome and the enteric nervous system? it is a new and exciting field because diet can directly influence our microbiome and there is a growing consensus that our microbiome plays a direct role in mental and emotional health via synthesis of neurotransmitters (as well as many other indirect roles)
The gut-brain axis: interactions between enteric microbiota, central and enteric nervous systems

Gut–brain axis: how the microbiome influences anxiety and depression - ScienceDirect

Nutrition has been known to minimize symptoms in ADHD children. Nutrition can minimize pain. Nutrition can dramatically help with tobacco, and alcohol cravings. Unprocessed healthy nutrition has micronutrients that make the body function better. Nutrition can even help in mental health issues.

Help, not “cure.” Why do people jump on that word so much?

Nutrition has been known to minimize symptoms in ADHD children. Nutrition can minimize pain. Nutrition can dramatically help with tobacco, and alcohol cravings. Unprocessed healthy nutrition has micronutrients that make the body function better. Nutrition can even help in mental health issues.

Because as far as anyone knows, there is NO "cure" for ANY form of Autism.

Maybe there will be in 2 or 300 years when Star Trek level technology and medicines are invented, but we'll all be long gone by then.

I keep wanting to bang my head against the nearest wall! Why does everyone always thing the word alleviate or help equals the word “cure?” It does not.

I think all aspies are “cure” obsessed. No one is talking about “curing” anything.

Nutrition can make a huge difference to the problems aspies experience with anxiety and depression. Eating properly improves every condition.

I am talking about a plant based diet which has been studied for many decades so there is plenty of science behind it.

However, many people will reject this way of eating because of food addictions. These food addictions are no different to drug and alcohol addictions and the mind will suggest reasons why they cannot do it.

LIke 'I will wait till a cure is announced'.

I am seeking huge benefits especially regarding my mind. Body is doing good as well.

Nutrition can make a huge difference to the problems aspies experience with anxiety and depression. Eating properly improves every condition.

I am talking about a plant based diet which has been studied for many decades so there is plenty of science behind it.

However, many people will reject this way of eating because of food addictions. These food addictions are no different to drug and alcohol addictions and the mind will suggest reasons why they cannot do it.

LIke 'I will wait till a cure is announced'.

I am seeking huge benefits especially regarding my mind. Body is doing good as well.

Completely agree. People would rather give their ADHD kid Ritalin rather then change diet? This is crazy.

Only for the last 30 years or so! I don't know if it's biology, autism or diabetes in the family but I get less anxious if I stick to wholemeal foods, brown bread, grains, fruit and vegetables. I work well with meat too but not too much. Sugar makes me jittery and prone to frequent meltdowns. Caffeine is bad but I refuse to give it up because it helps me think.

Personally I hate vegetables but broccoli does seem to be the answer to everything!

Only for the last 30 years or so! I don't know if it's biology, autism or diabetes in the family but I get less anxious if I stick to wholemeal foods, brown bread, grains, fruit and vegetables. I work well with meat too but not too much. Sugar makes me jittery and prone to frequent meltdowns. Caffeine is bad but I refuse to give it up because it helps me think.

Personally I hate vegetables but broccoli does seem to be the answer to everything!

For me spinach, carrots, broccoli, and nori seaweed are godsends. I love jucing too, and throw in all sorts of fruits, raw nuts seeds, plain yogurts, raw oats, etc. it has changed how I feel and my energy.

I cut down on meats, and eta them maybe once every 4 months or even less. I also eat way less grains, and I gave up tomatoes as they ar an inflammatory food. And I have degenerative arthritis. Sugar is a complete no no, though I still use honey.

I can't eat anything green, it's the texture that puts me off.

I don't even like Carrots unless they're tinned, and even then I'm not that keen.

I can't eat anything green, it's the texture that puts me off.

I don't even like Carrots unless they're tinned, and even then I'm not that keen.

With a juicer or Nutribullet, you can eat healthy and avoid those “textures.” ! I mix all sorts of healthy things together and maker lovely tasty smoothies, shakes, and juices. Otherwise, with my dental problems, I could not eat all the veggies and fruits I need.

“Tinned” (canned) foods are not nearly as healthy as fresh produce. Second best would be frozen produce, and third would be tinned. If you are not eating produce, how are you getting your nutrients???

You can also buy your greens as powder and add that to juices or smoothies. Spinach added to smoothies does not affect the taste too much.

I make a juice with celery, fennel, parsley, cucumber and Indian gooseberries which are very very good for ones health. I have this most days. Sometimes I will make a smoothy for breakfast with almond milk, banana, wild blueberries, sometimes flax seeds, and vanilla powder.

The rest of my meals are beans, greens and other veggies, seeds, nuts whole grains and jackfruit. No oil sugar or salt.

You can also buy your greens as powder and add that to juices or smoothies. Spinach added to smoothies does not affect the taste too much.

I make a juice with celery, fennel, parsley, cucumber and Indian gooseberries which are very very good for ones health. I have this most days. Sometimes I will make a smoothy for breakfast with almond milk, banana, wild blueberries, sometimes flax seeds, and vanilla powder.

The rest of my meals are beans, greens and other veggies, seeds, nuts whole grains and jackfruit. No oil sugar or salt.

I have never heard of Indian gooseberries. I have not seen them for sale. I am in the US...where are you? The rest I am well familiar with.
I do love salt, and since I have excellant blood pressure, it’s ok to have. Especially, since I am working outdoors in 95 F. heat for 8 hours a day. Salt is helping me along with water, and my own homemade “soda” of organic cherry juice mixed with sparkling water.

I have never heard of Indian gooseberries. I have not seen them for sale. I am in the US...where are you? The rest I am well familiar with.
I do love salt, and since I have excellant blood pressure, it’s ok to have. Especially, since I am working outdoors in 95 F. heat for 8 hours a day. Salt is helping me along with water, and my own homemade “soda” of organic cherry juice mixed with sparkling water.

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/amla-is-the-most-amazing-medicinal-plant-you-havent-heard-of

I buy them raw from an Indian grocer near to me in UK and I also have it dried for when I cant get it. They are very sour and only 2 in a glass of juice is needed.

Are you
http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/amla-is-the-most-amazing-medicinal-plant-you-havent-heard-of

I buy them raw from an Indian grocer near to me in UK and I also have it dried for when I cant get it. They are very sour and only 2 in a glass of juice is needed.

Ahh...we have Indian grocers too, but far enough away from me to be a parking and navigational headache. I can by the dried fruit in powder form though. I wish I could find the fruit it self though. My local Vitamin Shoppe sells the capsules.

Hmmm, maybe. I am seeing a lot of capsules, and powders. It would be nice to get them fresh. There are farms locally selling “gooseberries” but this is American midwestern native gooseberries, so not the same. Maybe the same botanical family but I would not think with same health properties.

I suspect that it has something to do with getting research grants and other funding. Perhaps there is more money for those who say that they aim to cure rather than aim to help.

I passed an article this morning regarding keto diets being beneficial for people with ASD. I didn’t read it in the rush but it did have me thinking.

Couple of years ago I ended up on a clean eating, eliminating all processed foods. I remember being totally obsessed with the numbers of macros I could combine by creating my own food from scratch. It did give me a lot of energy and I had a lot more focus to complete my daily tasks. I’m wondering if it’s worth a try again, this time being aware of my AS.

Seems to me that optimum nutrition will lead to optimum health, which will include the best mental and physical function that your body can do. There's no miracle or magic.

I passed an article this morning regarding keto diets being beneficial for people with ASD. I didn’t read it in the rush but it did have me thinking.

Couple of years ago I ended up on a clean eating, eliminating all processed foods. I remember being totally obsessed with the numbers of macros I could combine by creating my own food from scratch. It did give me a lot of energy and I had a lot more focus to complete my daily tasks. I’m wondering if it’s worth a try again, this time being aware of my AS.

Was the article about the benefits of a ketogenic diet about adults with ASD?
Ketogenic diets are recommended for children and adults with seizures, for which seizure medications are not working. Its more of a last resort because the ketogenic diet it is very restrictive and its reported to be very difficult (and expensive) to continue long term. The ketogenic diet lacks in natural sources of dietary fiber which is very important for normal GI functioning. The mechanism of action for the ketogenic diet is still not fully understood but from clinical trials, it would seem that ketones have a sedative effect on the nervous system.

Neurobiochemical mechanisms of a ketogenic diet in refractory epilepsy

Limiting processed foods, incorporating fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, lean protein, and eating more whole grain sources of carbohydrates are all great ways to support the body by providing it with what it needs to function optimally. Overall aiming for an healthy diet and regular physical activity (and sleep!) will result in better overall management of most health conditions including those associated with disturbances in the functioning of the nervous system, like ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom