• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone experimented with nutrition to help alleviate autistic challenges?

Great topic!!

I have had to make countless adjustments and additions to my daily diet and nutrition intake. Where to start, I do not know.

I have researched nutrition books and the Autism Coach Website to help me go through the hard knocks I have to endure on a daily basis. For my employment, to socialize meaningfully, and even to drive in town I often have to take some nutritional supplements.

My most important changes that I have made are getting rid of wheat gluten, cow dairy/casein proteins, processed foods, and sugar. I use omega 3 capsules, L-Tyrosine, glutamine, magnesium bisglycinate powder and creatine to name a few
things I use. I make an amino shake and take quite a few vitamins and herbal pills before going to work. No grains but hemp hearts, maca powder and roasted carob for my pre-work shift meals.

A lot of stuff but it works!

How about Tryptophan? It's a precursor of the happiness hormone, melatonin, and niacin.

'Although you can't supplement with serotonin itself, its precursor, the amino acid tryptophan, is readily available as a safe, well-proven supplement. Supplementation with tryptophan reduces irritability in older adults, in women with premenstrual syndrome, and in people with depression and anxiety.'

'Most of these health benefits come from the potential increase of niacin and thus serotonin. The benefits from more serotonin include: promoting healthier and better quality sleep. relief from depression and anxiety.'

All worst stuff many on the spectrum struggle with.

Found in some foods and natural supplements with spirulin or bee pollen, royal jelly.

...Found in some foods ...

Turkey, salmon, nuts and seeds, cheese, eggs, spinach, bananas, oats,

all sources of tryptophan,

May need enough iron and some b vitamins in your system to encourage the synthesis of 5HT.

I’ve recently read (somewhere) that simple carbs - pasta, breads etc stimulate the insulin required to help get the seretonin into the brain.

'Tyrosine: Benefits, Side Effects and Dosage. Tyrosine is a popular dietary supplement used to improve alertness, attention and focus. It produces important brain chemicals that help nerve cells communicate and may even regulate mood'

What! I need this!

New Threads

Top Bottom