• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi all!

I am for now (at forty-eight years old), self diagnosed.

I have an appointment in the new year to talk to my doctor and get a referral to get assessed/tested. So here are some of my main "symptoms": Great difficulty in connecting with people I have had no friend since my dear friend past away four years ago), cannot read people (hopeless with this really), while I do not get adults at all I connect with kids okay and read animals exceptionally well (can also calm them), I am addicted to finding information and learning, I automatically analyze everything, have a blank stare while thinking/analyzing that makes others concerned, highly honest and straight forward (often to my own detriment), do not do small talk, have spent my lifetime feeling like an alien that has been stranded on the wrong planet, I get completely absorbed in things of interest (to an obsessive level), have trouble focusing on things that do not capture my interest, have a lot of trouble dealing with my own emotions, clumsy (dropping things/spilling things, banging into things), lots of sleep troubles, very slow metabolizer (including problems with caffeine and theobromine metabolizing, very drug/supplement sensitive), have a habit of spinning in circles (office chairs are awesome for this) -since childhood, very particular about foods, chronic oversharer (trying to connect), unintentionally hijack conversations (assuming others will readily contribute when they have something to), really confused by people pretending to be nice or interested when they are not, always stressed and exhausted by having visitors in my home, extensively plan everything, I need a lot of recharge time, I HATE surprises, dislike crowded malls, restaurants, movie theatres etc., stressed by bright colours and bright lights, low tolerance for any high pitched sounds, mind is ALWAYS thinking, constantly looking to understand myself better and be understood, rescued a lot of stray animals as a kid (even delivered newspapers with a pack of stray dogs), have what feels like an OCD for researching information (products, companies, medical, psychology, pretty much anything that enters my mind), love books, gain comfort from knowing what to expect (transitions are stressful), have always related to males better (feel like I have a male brain), compulsively trying to find solutions for me and others (others apparently do not appreciate this), I'm a perfectionist (quite distressed when I cannot do something to the best of my abilities), do not respect people just because of a "Title", very literal, accurate information and communication are a big deal to me, very serious by nature, previous diagnosis of anxiety and bipolar disorder (both extinguished by dropping caffeine and theobromine from my diet), I love learning but am really struggling to get through my program (returned to school), use to drink to tolerate social settings, very different than any of my relatives (oddball), loner through school (considered aloof by others), mostly monotone voice, have non-diabetic low blood sugar issues (reactive hypoglycemia), default to black and white thinking, strong pattern recognition, habitually reading licence plates etc... My four year old son is very similar to me; that is how I ended up learning about the "symptoms" in the first place. We both also have ADHD symptoms created by chronic sleep issues.

I am hoping to have better luck connecting or relating to people on this site than I do in the real world.

Hi, my name is pepper.
Nice to met all of you!
I am 20 years old.
I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome at the age of 13.
I am having a hard time reconnecting with society please
take your time with me.

Hi & Welcome Ravenswatch & Maho,
If you open a new thread in this section like with title 'Hi I am New' etc, you will get more response. Most don't look here in this thread. No need to rewrite, just cut and paste what you already wrote.

Greetings Everyone - I'm a 59 year old... *( emphasis on OLD:), male. At this point I'm self-diagnosed on the various tests that are available on-line. The tests so far are saying "very likely" and "may be worth getting professionally assessed"etc. A professional diagnosis is in progress, but I'm needing to do A LOT of reflecting and recollection on my past and even my present.

I chosen the name "Forgotten Aspie" because this diagnosis was never raised as a child. Dyslexic, Hyperactive, cross-dominance, Minimal Brain Damage were the professional diagnoses I remember, but the social / emotional / components were never addressed. I'm not even sure if Asperger's or ASD was a diagnosis then. So, be it ASD or ASPIE.. I do know there are many traits I share with you all. It has been a profound revaluation that I have Autism, but nothing has ever made sense of my life in the way this has. If ALL my issues had been diagnosed/ treated in this light, I believe that could have made a huge difference in my quality of life.

I'm here today to find out who "I" really am. Address the forgotten or hidden needs that have always been there and covered by years of adaptation strategies and self-deception. It's been a lonely voyage so far... feeling at times I'm literally alone on the planet. I'm hoping to connect with what I've seen expressed as "my own people".

Forgive me if I tend to be too intense or emotional at times. I have 59 years of questions to answer...

Hello,

My name is Bryant and I recently found happiness with the fact I have a disability. I used to be very insecure about it because of society. It was really bad. However, after a long time of battling depression, I’m much better. I’m also a big film lover. I’m planning to make a short documentary on autism. I’ve never been part of a forum or chat room before but it’s nice to try.

Howdy from Austin, Texas. I am about to do my first post in the romance forum if I can figure out all the bells and whistles. Quite an impressive layout you have here!

hey, I am new to this site! Not sure if I am on the spectrum or not, but I definitely have some qualities. I am typing from Brazil and am looking forward to participate on the many great threads!

Hi I’m a 40something female from Berkshire - self diagnosed. Considering whether it’s worth getting a formal diagnosis but not sure if GP will take me seriously and it costs about £1,000 for private diagnosis. I’ll echo what others have said before me - some of these I could have written word for word.

My 'first' diagnosis came at the age of three when one doctor said "I think she'll a ____ (well you can fill in the blank there).

I grew up shunned, hated and despised because people though I was 'weird'. incapable of learning ...etc...

In spite of the bullying etc... I endured, I graduated from high school, served in the military (before the ban on those of us with Aspergers and Autism), got married, had two beautiful daughters.

I noticed on raising my young babies that they were different from other kids. They weren't even two, yet they were reading. At the same time, I noticed head banging ... pacing... and they were almost entirely non verbal and violent towards me.

There was a program where I live to get kids into preschool. So I put them into the program. In spite of pediatricians telling me I was 'paranoid', and a 'umbrella parent'; I got them in to see a clinical psychiatrist who officially diagnosed them (with being on the spectrum Developmentally delayed), and me with Aspergers.

The only problem? A 'acquaintance' overheard the diagnosis, and spread lies about me all throughout the town about my 'mental issues'.

For daring to do the right thing by myself and by my kids in putting them in preschool, and getting myself counselling so I could do right by my kids: I was subsequently harassed, stalked, and gossiped about. I was also falsely accused of child abuse over and over again without one shred of evidence to back it up.

The last time this happened, the 'group leader' of my youngest daughter's troupe slandered and libeled her in order to try to get me arrested and convicted for a crime I did not commit.

I found this out from the investigating police officer and from CYFD.

They fully investigated the charges ... the findings "the charges are completely unsubstaniated' and "without merit".

Even with my innocence being proven, the lies ... the gossiping etc..continued.

I was recently 'confronted' by one of the five people who were in on stalking and harassing me (for over 10 years); telling me if I would just 'leave' .... 'their' town; it would end.

I had enough, and told them to make me. I don't give in to bullies. I don't give in to threats, or challanges. I overcome them.

I know both I and my beautiful daughters have challenges; but as long as we don't use them as a crutch; people should leave us along... instead of confronting me and telling me which of my kids they say will never amount to anything.

My daughters are in college now. They're fully integrated with their peers. And though they will always have challenges to overcome; they will have a skill set so that they'll hae a chance at least to lead a normal and productive life.

FYI the person who said my oldest daughter would never amount to anything? It was a teacher.

I never know how to start a conversation that's even remotely interesting so thankfully this post is here, I'm Mike, I'm 31 and I got diagnosed back when I was 14 with Aspergers/high functioning autism so I have experience I guess? I don't talk alot and I feel like I have gotten very good at presenting as NT in social situations but my friends and family say it's obvious I'm an Aspie lol. So, yeah, hello all?

IMG_0481.JPG
I never know how to start a conversation that's even remotely interesting so thankfully this post is here, I'm Mike, I'm 31 and I got diagnosed back when I was 14 with Aspergers/high functioning autism so I have experience I guess? I don't talk alot and I feel like I have gotten very good at presenting as NT in social situations but my friends and family say it's obvious I'm an Aspie lol. So, yeah, hello all?
welcome

A lot of people on the autistic spectrum also find it difficult to start conversations, however many find it easier in a friendly non judgemental community like this one where they can relax and think about what you want to write without any real time pressure. With practice a lot of autistic people also become good at emulating being NT in social situations and more, in fact I believe that some learn to become so good over time that they could even fail to be diagnosed. Even if an autistic person can emulate being an NT perfectly they're still autistic however and in my opinion it uses a lot of mental energy to achieve this, that's why it's also good to relax and be yourself sometimes since there's nothing wrong with being on the autistic spectrum and it also has advantages. I wish more NTs would accept us for who we are however so we didn't have to emulate them so much.

Anyway, I'm going on again lol! Welcome to ASPIESCentral! :)

Last edited:
Yeah I feel like I have dedicated a large portion of my brain to "acting normal" so I feel alot more comfortable around people who don't expect me to not always say the "right" thing. :) thanks all for the warm welcome.

Yeah I feel like I have dedicated a large portion of my brain to "acting normal" so I feel alot more comfortable around people who don't expect me to not always say the "right" thing. :) thanks all for the warm welcome.

I think you just expressed the inner thoughts of at least 90% of the people here.

You're going to fit in just fine. Welcome.

Hi my name is Logan. I am dating a woman with Asperger and really love her. I am trying to understand how she feels about me. She refers to me as a friend and not her boyfriend. She has also said a lot negative comments about me. Please help

Hi my name is Logan. I am dating a woman with Asperger and really love her. I am trying to understand how she feels about me. She refers to me as a friend and not her boyfriend. She has also said a lot negative comments about me. Please help
Why would you want to continue a relationship with someone who brings so much toxic negativity at such an early stage of the relationship? That's only a harbinger of things to come — none of it good. Dump that Girlfriendzilla! Look for someone who is more worthy of your love.

Hi @Logan1960 and welcome to ASPIESCentral.

It's rather difficult to make an assumption from only a small amount of information, but are you actually definitely going out as a couple because she may really only see you as a friend? A person with Asperger Syndrome may find it difficult in a relationship however, they may lack confidence and they may even be fearful, but I don't really understand why she's saying so many negative comments about you. If you'd like more answers please feel free to make a new thread with more detailed information.

Best of luck! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom