• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hello,
My name is Jessica..I do not have a known diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder or Asperger's Syndrome. I am reaching out to people because I am not sure whether or not to get a diagnosis. When I researched about the female traits and symptoms and taken the tests it always was a possibility of autism but it is hard to find it in all women. The spectrum is so wide and I really do want an answer and just to ask people how they cope with their daily struggles. I function in life and have had some friends, boyfriends though who were only manipulative or verbally abusive/childish. I get taken advantage of alot, I am turning 28 in May. In a conversation I have a hard time knowing when it is my turn I often hear that I go off on another route of conversation. Since I was about 3, I have had some sound sensitivity like certain pitch noises and some sudden loud sounds. I jump up and down and flap my hands/arms in the mirror still to this day. I have listened to the same song over and over since 8th grade. I do not understand alot of jokes and I have copied friends voice tones and facial expressions in the mirror over the years too. Terrible at algebra processing it all because theres too many kinds of problems to remember but I can remember I obsessed over an actress and her fictional characters for a few years remembering all about her as well as dressing like her in 9th grade/halloween. My fears are childish, like I have to keep the door open when im sleeping and I sometimes feel I need to climb in bed with my mother. English has been a strong point in school for me as well as factual science. I remember everyones birthdays too and have a hard time paying attention as people ask if I have ADD. I dont like my neck being touched at all. I prefer comfortable clothing. Anyone else relate in any way?

Yes, I'm socially awkward and inappropriate at times...i don t like my neck touched either, or feet up my pant leg. Swishy clothing like jackets make me nauseaou and I can't by stand people who eat with their hands...i don't mind if it's a cultural thing. Slurping anything is like putting a nail right in my ear. I was just DX 3 months ago, I always knew I was different.

Yes, I'm socially awkward and inappropriate at times...i don t like my neck touched either, or feet up my pant leg. Swishy clothing like jackets make me nauseaou and I can't by stand people who eat with their hands...i don't mind if it's a cultural thing. Slurping anything is like putting a nail right in my ear. I was just DX 3 months ago, I always knew I was different.
I also was in the army, combat medic, ptsd sucks. I'm always hypervigilant when I leave my house. Almost on the side of paranoia. But I know all is goose goose on my own world.

This post is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Chilly Willy @The Penguin
Hello, My name is Debra. I was first 'diagnosed' in 1963 ... when one doctor said "I think she'll be a (well he said the R word). Luckily, (although his 'diagnosis followed me where ever I went (via the grapevine)) I managed to grow up ... and graduate high school.

Fast forward to the late 90's when I noticed my own children were rally behind their peers (socially). I knew they needed help (in spite of advanced reading skills); I took them to be 'diagnosed'. I was diagnosed myself as having Aspergers (along with my two children).

For me, it was like a light going on. I never fit in. I was socially awkward. I never knew why; until I was 'officially' diagnosed.

FYI I served in the military ... I served honorably.

If I had wanted to serve now, though; I would not be allowed to serve.

And that's wrong. It's wrong that those of us with Aspergers are now 'banned' from being able to serve.

Yet 'we' are.

IMG_0254.GIF

I joined just yesterday. I am an officially diagnosed Aspie. My mom says I was diagnosed in second grade, and I have recently (past year or so) been learning more about Asperger's and ASD. I am a high school freshman. I would say I am very socially awkward, and I have no friends. There are people I talk to at school, but I only speak at school, for the most part, if someone else talks to me. I rarely, if ever, initiate conversations with anyone. Hello.

Hi. I'm 23 years old woman from Finland. I was diagnosed with aspergers only a couple of years ago, I've never been good with introductions or talking about myself.

I joined just yesterday. I am an officially diagnosed Aspie. My mom says I was diagnosed in second grade, and I have recently (past year or so) been learning more about Asperger's and ASD. I am a high school freshman. I would say I am very socially awkward, and I have no friends. There are people I talk to at school, but I only speak at school, for the most part, if someone else talks to me. I rarely, if ever, initiate conversations with anyone. Hello.

Hi! Welcome to the socially awkward club! I'm a freshman in college and I can relate to how hard it is to make friends (especially the jump between acquaintances to actual friends who you hang out with). You're not alone. I know I still feel alone in it seeing neurotypicals around me everywhere but that's why we have to find our tribe.

Hello Nice to meet everyone-

I have NLD DCD and realised only 3 years ago at the age of 29.

I have had bad luck all my life- now I know its caused by memory anomalies, I also know the trigger and have realised that in autistic society not many people know about it.

It would be great to have some scientific and philosophical discussion of reality with people.

Until then aloha- JP!

Welcome
IMG_0359.JPG
Hello Nice to meet everyone-

I have NLD DCD and realised only 3 years ago at the age of 29.

I have had bad luck all my life- now I know its caused by memory anomalies, I also know the trigger and have realised that in autistic society not many people know about it.

It would be great to have some scientific and philosophical discussion of reality with people.

Until then aloha- JP!

Hi Everyone,

I have never been tested for autism. I feel that I have a lot in common with the descriptions.

I found this website while I was searching for people who have tried Scratch programming (MIT). I am getting very good at programming with Scratch. I volunteer as a teacher for an after-school activity. But some children seem unable to program with it and I am looking for new ideas. Perhaps there are too many colors or too many options.

Hiya. My name is April. I am 39. I had a hard time answering the self-diagnosed or formally diagnosed, and this is why. When I was little, I had a lot of labels thrown at me. One of them was autism. But another was mental retardation. I guess if you were a kid of the eighties, being autistic still meant being retarded or something. But they never told ME anything about it. It was always through my parents that I learned anything at all, and they were sort of, well, reluctant to tell me anything really.
So what I know about myself had to be self-learned.
but I don't want this to turn into a rant about how awful public education is for anyone different, which it almost became like three or four times already.
I am a very creative person, who has a hard time focusing and am for all intents and purposes, a super sensitive airhead. :p I liked this group so far, and hope to learn a lot and more importantly, make friends with people who might get me. Have a super duper awesome day!

IMG_0417.JPG
Hiya. My name is April. I am 39. I had a hard time answering the self-diagnosed or formally diagnosed, and this is why. When I was little, I had a lot of labels thrown at me. One of them was autism. But another was mental retardation. I guess if you were a kid of the eighties, being autistic still meant being retarded or something. But they never told ME anything about it. It was always through my parents that I learned anything at all, and they were sort of, well, reluctant to tell me anything really.
So what I know about myself had to be self-learned.
but I don't want this to turn into a rant about how awful public education is for anyone different, which it almost became like three or four times already.
I am a very creative person, who has a hard time focusing and am for all intents and purposes, a super sensitive airhead. :p I liked this group so far, and hope to learn a lot and more importantly, make friends with people who might get me. Have a super duper awesome day!
welcome

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I have Aspergers or Autism.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and with depression and anxiety in my teens. I'm bi polar. I've been coping with myself off medication for over a year i think. Medication always seemed to make my condition worse and I stopped talking to doctors altogether. I still live at home with my mother and I can't seem to function in this society. I'm on disability and never seen to hold jobs for long. My parents expect so much of me when I try and explain that they don't see this world as I do. Deal with it is the response! I hate it. I've destroyed things in my room and it seems to be a pattern. But a labtop...destroy it.. But another.... Destroy it.. Same thing goes with musical instruments and video game consoles. I don't have any friends because I can't connect with anyone my age. I act nuts like I'm alone and can't seem to be honest when I do something wrong. I cover it up. Smoked pot in my teens and early adulthood. I will stop here because I can really go in to detail and then I'd be here all night.

Hi & Welcome,
I used to throw things sometimes. It felt good, for a second, to hurl the phone against the wall. But then I was like "Oh no! My phone!" The cost of replacing eventually got thru to me to quit doing it. I started to make the change around age 24.

Welcome, Bamboopillow2. I'm sure a lot of people here can relate to your experiences.

I've had to learn to recognize my "stop signs" and my "stop ahead signs" - the times when I want to act out, lash out. I usually refer to myself as "not fit for public consumption" at that time and just tell myself that, if I do what I want to right now, I'll regret it later. So, I clam up, shut down, and wait it out. I'm always looking for better ways to deal, too.

Rant, complain, or share something awesome - you're always welcome here.

New Threads

Top Bottom