• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hello.

My name is Chris. I have not received a formal diagnosis yet, but I've been told by three qualified therapists that there are very strong signs that I have Asperger's. On top of that, my brother HAS received a formal diagnosis and is Aspergian. There are also strong indications that my father is autistic, too.

My situation has become very complicated as of late. My mother has become a born-again Christian and is going all in on her beliefs, to the point where it has begun to have a heavy effect on me. She has begun outlawing a good portion of media in the house and has even ordered me to throw away or donate anything she doesn't agree with. She's already gone ahead and done so with one of my books without permission. It also doesn't help that she professes that she "doesn't have time to read up on Asperger's", which puts both me and my brother in a difficult situation, though despite his "failure to survive" state, he's being sent to a therapist, provided my mother can get him out the door at all .

...This might not be the place for this, since this forum is for introductions, but neither I nor my brother are in the best of situations right now, and I want to get this out there as soon as possible. Without a proper diagnosis, I can't receive help for myself, let alone help anybody else. I've managed to get myself on a waiting list for a therapist licensed for behavioral therapy (I'm certain beyond a shadow of a doubt I have depression, too), hoping I can also get a proper diagnosis, but as I said, it's a waiting list: I may not see her for months. In the meantime, I am essentially being forced to conform to my mother's beliefs, at great personal sacrifice. I would like a little help...

Hello.

My name is Chris. I have not received a formal diagnosis yet, but I've been told by three qualified therapists that there are very strong signs that I have Asperger's. On top of that, my brother HAS received a formal diagnosis and is Aspergian. There are also strong indications that my father is autistic, too.

My situation has become very complicated as of late. My mother has become a born-again Christian and is going all in on her beliefs, to the point where it has begun to have a heavy effect on me. She has begun outlawing a good portion of media in the house and has even ordered me to throw away or donate anything she doesn't agree with. She's already gone ahead and done so with one of my books without permission. It also doesn't help that she professes that she "doesn't have time to read up on Asperger's", which puts both me and my brother in a difficult situation, though despite his "failure to survive" state, he's being sent to a therapist, provided my mother can get him out the door at all .

...This might not be the place for this, since this forum is for introductions, but neither I nor my brother are in the best of situations right now, and I want to get this out there as soon as possible. Without a proper diagnosis, I can't receive help for myself, let alone help anybody else. I've managed to get myself on a waiting list for a therapist licensed for behavioral therapy (I'm certain beyond a shadow of a doubt I have depression, too), hoping I can also get a proper diagnosis, but as I said, it's a waiting list: I may not see her for months. In the meantime, I am essentially being forced to conform to my mother's beliefs, at great personal sacrifice. I would like a little help...
Hi Chris / @Dragonpit, I'm sorry about the difficulties you're experiencing at home. When there's very strong religious beliefs people often believe that only their religion is right while everyone else is wrong, the problem is it can sometimes go too far where the person doesn't respect other people's beliefs and/or their right not to strictly conform to the same religion. The first thing is to try talking to your mother to see if there's any possible compromise where you could meet half way, perhaps another person or even an advocate could help? I'm not sure which country you live in, but in the UK there are charities that offer free advocacy support that could try to liaise with your mother if she allows it. If agreeing a reasonable compromise truly isn't possible, which maybe the case with someone so much into a particular religion, then it's a real shame, but you may have no other option but to move out to a place of your own, especially if she owns the rights to the house because she will probably see it as her right to enforce her rules in her own house.

Regarding being officially diagnosed, it's a shame that you can't get the help you need with a self diagnosis and the word of your qualified therapists while you're waiting. Again I don't know what country you're from to advise any further, except to say look for charities and/or an advocacy service to see if they can help or advise you further. Sorry I can only be of limited help, but if you don't get many replies here and you would like more advice from members also feel free to start a separate thread.

I sincerely hope things get better for you and welcome to ASPIESCentral. :)

PS: I would also like to add that if you do end up moving out please try to keep in contact with your family as they are still important, even if you have to conform on visits, it won't be the same as living there all the time.

Last edited:
My situation has become very complicated as of late. My mother has become a born-again Christian and is going all in on her beliefs, to the point where it has begun to have a heavy effect on me. She has begun outlawing a good portion of media in the house and has even ordered me to throw away or donate anything she doesn't agree with. She's already gone ahead and done so with one of my books without permission. It also doesn't help that she professes that she "doesn't have time to read up on Asperger's", which puts both me and my brother in a difficult situation, though despite his "failure to survive" state, he's being sent to a therapist, provided my mother can get him out the door at all
Clearly, your mother has no right to tell you what to read, watch or believe, even if you are living in the same house - she has no right to ask you to throw away your personal property just because she doesn't agree with them. However, living in her house does make the situation difficult - you need to find a compromise, perhaps that you respect her rules in the rest of the house, but you have an area of your own space, your room, where you can keep these things out of her way, and that you agree not to talk about religion, that you agree to diagree and that she doesn't bring the subject up.

Hi,

I have a child who has ASD, on the high functioning end. She's verbal, and quite normal in some respects, but in other ways, she's still mystifying as a child. It doesn't help that I have ADHD (diagnosed as an adult), so my brain and hers are sort of a "bad" match. It absolutely takes a lot out of me to try and relate as much as I can to her, when our quirks are in some ways polar opposites to one another. Not surprisingly, a lot of button pushing seems to occur. :(

Most other parents I know with kids on the spectrum have children whose severity of symptoms is much higher, and who for the most part also aren't dealing with ADHD on top of it. So while I can talk to other parents and get support, what I can talk about is kind of limited. Quite simply, my kid's challenges are the sort that other parents of kids on the spectrum would love to have. But they still are quite a challenge for me.

welcome.png

This thread is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Hi I am Daniel I have just posted a new thread hows everyone doing? Please see my thread and comment what you like x thanks
Chilly Willy @The Penguin

My name is Tony, was diagnosed at 6 years old so 30 yrs. ago. I've come to accept my diagnosis and realize what I can do outweighs what I can't do. I'm a productive member of society and am currently employed. I'm also an advocate for more services for people with disabilities especially as it relates to job creation. Looking forward to adding to the discussion here and getting to know everyone here as time goes on.

Hello everyone!

My name is Alisha, but I preffered to be called Alis. I'm 19 years old and live in the netherlands.
I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when I was around 4 years old, wich has benefit me at the moment. Currently I am a beauty artist student, wich means I do hairdressing, make-up and nails. Besides that I am an intern for a hairsalon franchise here. It is sometimes quite hard to deal with my autism and this workingfield but I enjoy it the most.
I am also into retro gaming, like the gamecube for example or the n64.
Besides that I love to do research about certain things.

I hope this was a good description of me.

IMG_0262.GIF
I' m in northeast england ,welkom is the extent of my dutch ,you described yourself in at least 40 or 50 english words !!!!I can speak one word of dutch!.
so it was a good description .

z39w4dkcvz2ulam6.jpg
Diagnosed early 20s, obsessed with history, nazis, medieval, the bloodier the better

I listen to a few metal bands Kreator, Slayer, Suffocation, burzum etc

Diehard liberal go Sanders

I'm very peaceful physically but love seeing violence, huge ufc fan here and train mma, epilepsy keeps me from fighting for cash

Last edited:
View attachment 42241I' m in northeast england ,welkom is the extent of my dutch ,you described yourself in at least 40 or 50 english words !!!!I can speak one word of dutch!.
so it was a good description .
If this is directed at me, then thank you so much! Iknow my english isnt perfect but I like to make myself as much as understandable as possible. Im also good in multipule languages. but please, dont give me any math haha. And I can learn you some dutch words anytime if you want to make your dictionary in dutch bigger haha

Hi guys.

My name is Asten. I'm 25 and I live in Ipswich, UK. I was diagnosed with HFA at the age of 4 which is relatively early for a female.

Hope to make some new friends here. Don't be afraid to say hi!

Ast x

Hi,

My name is Eden. I have 13-year-old son with ASD/Asperger's and an ex-husband who now realizes he is probably on the spectrum.

IMG_0267.JPG
Hi guys.

My name is Asten. I'm 25 and I live in Ipswich, UK. I was diagnosed with HFA at the age of 4 which is relatively early for a female.

Hope to make some new friends here. Don't be afraid to say hi!

Ast x

New Threads

Top Bottom