• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
I am considering simply not reading or listening to “the news” anymore.
I’m ridiculously tired of conflicting information about Covid-19. One article states that the omicron variant causes cold like symptoms. Another article, for example, says NSW Australia just had the highest death toll ever.

So what is going on then?

People are dying when they catch Covid-19-which-is-like-a-cold? Or. People who are already very unwell catch all sorts of stuff including Covid-19 and then cannot recover from it?

And if there are so many people sick and dying then why don’t we have enough data to report accurately what is happening?

A friend of mine here in Canada has a daughter living in Australia (Queensland I think she said?)

From what she has heard from her daughter, people are getting comfortable, maybe too comfortable, mask wearing has become very lax... Her daughter and some friends went to a movie recently, and almost all of them got Covid and got quite sick, her daughter has been sick did a test but so far hasn't heard back...

I wonder if Australia is a victim of trying to shelter from the world so much, but they can't do that forever

@watersprite

More to answer your question, I'm torn about the media, how much to pay attention...

I've seen friends who almost get "poisoned" - in a sense - by listening to constant talk radio, and developing some radical beliefs

I do like to pay some attention to the goings on the world, but limit my contact with the media... But I have thought of completely disconnecting from the media, but I am naturally a bit of a news junkie...

I do have one friend who constantly feeds me the doom and gloom of the Covid news, I do my best to ignore it because he tends to almost depress me...

From the very little I've heard, it is my understanding that the most important news is that if you get vaccinated, you'll almost certainly be fine.

I'm not one to shun any source of information, including the media. But I also don't just get my info from a couple sources only. Researching different sites, cross referencing articles, talking to people directly, basically playing detective. I think some people have gotten too comfortable having info fed to them instead of just researching themselves. But then there's also confirmation bias research which is also harmful.

Maybe a good place to start?
Australia COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

I've lost count on how many people I know that have gotten the Omicron, each day brings more. Symptoms have ranged from barely anything, to fevers, sore throats, headaches, and muscle pain. My mom had it particularly bad where she couldn't walk for long, like a really bad flu. But everyone I know were vaccinated too. So far deaths related seem to be much lower than before fortunately.

From the very little I've heard, it is my understanding that the most important news is that if you get vaccinated, you'll almost certainly be fine.
Unless your vaccination is more than six months old. Then, it is almost like not being vaccinated at all.

In UK they have said we need to have had 3 jabs, the original double vaccinations then a booster, plus it seems further boosters will likely be needed, it's not yet clear how often. This means that even if we catch it, we are less likely to be severely affected or go to hospital.

I think from what I have picked up, Australia has been fairly vigilant and has gone for a test and trace policy where there's been a lot of emphasis on avoiding spread of the virus. Whereas emphasis in UK has been on getting everyone vaccinated asap, we are a small and crowded place I guess like the Netherlands, and stopping spread was probably never as likely here, though the distancing and masks etc slow it down and protect the most vulnerable.

Omicron is said to be a fast spreader, though not necessarily as severe in it's effects, but if it is caught more often that will still likely mean more in hospital and sadly, more deaths.

But ultimately it will probably depend on the level of vaccination in each country as to when the virus will get suppressed, I am not sure where Australia is with that now?

Defintely the news just leaves me in a brain fog. Should l do this, should l stay home, should l dance a jig?

Then l go out and people are practically falling on ne with nary a worry and look shocked when l ask for space. I give up. At this point, info is slowly coming out about side effects. In two years, we will know the story on Lifetime and YouTube

Yeah, the media love to sensationalise everythng, and so cherry-pick information and then present it with a bias or emphasis on certain aspects of the news story so as to give a distorted picture of the story. And they leave inconvenient facts out. In the case of the Australian covid deaths (and elsewhere in the world), it is unlikely that they can all be attributed to omicron, far more likely that they are delta.

Plus where are the stats on the regular flu? That info just plain disappeared? Where are the stats on domestic violence? Where are the stats on jobs? We have been dumbed down that we don't even know the simple facts of anything, we do live in a bubble, it's a media bubble.

We have been dumbed down that we don't even know the simple facts of anything, we do live in a bubble, it's a media bubble.

Wouldn't be the first time. Remember during the war in Vietnam how big a deal it was each day for the media to diligently report deaths, wounded, MIAs and KIAs of the enemy?

And to learn years later just how bogus those numbers turned out to be...

I'm also wondering if the WHO is onto something in this regard. Whether or not Omicron is as "mild" as they claim, or if this strain's statistics are somehow getting confused with that of the Delta strain.

We know medical services are being logistically overwhelmed. Who is to say the same thing isn't occurring with those charged with accumulating and reporting statistical data as well ? With a media that thrives on reporting something- anything.

- Whether the data is reliable or not.
With a journalistic "absence of malice" withstanding.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone in this forums,

I got 3rd Covid 19 Booster Shot Dose at Rajanukul Institute in Bangkok, Thailand! (See the file attached)

Nicky

Attachments

• 271764877_10227508053665724_1608066876386554078_n.jpg
    271764877_10227508053665724_1608066876386554078_n.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 67
Anybody else having trouble shaking covid related brain fog? We had it over Christmas, I had it pretty bad, probably should of went to the hospital, but no insurance. Anyway, I have probably 90-95% percent of my lung function back but my head still seems more out of sorts than usual. Anybody else experience this?

Meantime... It still feels like life is collapsing around me... Still more and more events not happening...:(

The last antique show by a local club was before Covid, do the math, and here we go again, they have said much the same thing before being hopeful... :confused: I'm still fearful about the future, will it ever be the same again? :confused:

Dear Member
Due to the pandemic, we realize all the Government restrictions are necessary but as we are a non-profit group, these increased restrictions are becoming more and more onerous and costly for our group to be able to hold a successful (antique) show. With the increasing rapid spread of the omicron variant, the age demographic of our members and a small pool of volunteers, we have decided to be socially responsible both for the protection of our members and the public. Thus, regretfully, the Board unanimously has decided to cancel our show that was booked for February 26, 2022. Our deposit will be transferred forward to the next show. We are hoping the summer will be better and we can again hold a successful show on October 1, 2022.

@Sherlock77 , that's too bad!

Living on the boat our lives changed very little due to the pandemic. But we do hear of all the social groups the events that got cancelled. And, of course, we have lost a few family members and aquaintences too.

In the beginning my family was worried that my young neice would be negatively affected. But she is just a toddler and rolls right along with every change to her short life.

I think the hardest hit folk are people like yourself, your lives have been disrupted so much!

I miss the days when groups of RL friends came over to gather around my 4K television to binge watch movies with me.

I feel like staying in bed and crying my eyes out. This isolation is too much for me. Just a couple more days of it left, but can what is left of my sanity last that long?

I feel no reason to leave my bed now. This is pretty much textbook depression sinking in big time.

Sorry to hear this. Try to stick this out. I am with you there. It's kinda of like the world is gone bat crazy and we are stuck at home watching the spike in shortages, crime, and uncertainty with a giant question mark planted on our foreheads. I actually enjoy long leisurely hours of sleep because l can't get in to accidents or overspend. Guilt free sleeping. I have notice that the gym with those incredible machines seem less of torture to accomplish after deep sleep. Hope u rebound and move forward with another goal perhaps? Maybe start a YouTube channel for some interest of yours?

I feel like staying in bed and crying my eyes out. This isolation is too much for me. Just a couple more days of it left, but can what is left of my sanity last that long?

Do you live in an apartment?

I feel no reason to leave my bed now. This is pretty much textbook depression sinking in big time.

Just try to distract yourself and keep yourself busy. Working with your hands can be very satisfying, think of tasks in your household you haven't come around to do before. And look up home work-outs. They will lift up your spirit, trust me. You need to find a new daily routine for yourself, just make yourself a daily to-do-list, no excuses. You could also indulge in favourite activities you usually don't have much time for. Be nice and gentle to yourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom