• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
I posted this in a different thread here, but I think this is worth mentioning again.

I have very high anxiety over the Omicron virus. I am vaccinated, yet didn't get a booster shot yet because I am not sure if I qualify for one in my state. I also read that Moderna (the vaccine I got) may not be effective against it. I am really concerned about Christmas being canceled here because of the new virus. I am looking forward to visiting family members on Christmas, and even bought everyone presents. Now I am scared that my plans will all be in vain, and won't happen at all. We may still have a small party at my house, but at least one person may or may not show up, making it not so much a party.

I read the news articles today listing statements from each of the pharmaceutical companies as well. Note that they were very heavy on the use of that "may" word.
What I got from reading their statements was: it's going to be a week or two before we can start to have any clarity on anything regarding omicron.
Unfortunately, actual science takes time, and the media always wants to publish something *right now*.

fwiw, I suspect odds are you will still be able to have your xmas plans (whether or not everyone will go, idk).

If Omicron is an issue it should show on my control charts in a few days it should show up as a run failure, so far no issue, waiting for today's numbers takes six consecutive days. Check my charts for Ontario, Delta was followed by run failures.

Last edited:
So, it's been a couple weeks, and scientists are starting to get some ideas about Omicron:
What we know about Omicron two weeks after it became a variant of concern

Excerpts:
... scientists in South Africa ... said they have seen no sign that Omicron is causing more severe illness

ICU occupancy in South African patients with confirmed Omicron cases sits at just 6.3 per cent, much lower than previous Delta wave, with fewer patients requiring supplemental oxygen to help them breathe.

... WHO said existing vaccines should still protect people who contract the Omicron variant from severe illness, but noted that preliminary lab tests from South Africa suggest the variant can partially evade the Pfizer jab.

Also, if numbers are of interest to people, there is the WHO covid dashboard here:
WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard

From the confirmed cases graph you can see the world is certainly going into a new wave of infections, but so far it has not surpassed the much publicized delta variant wave this fall. And the Delta wave was not even as large as the two waves prior to it (with peaks last January and April). Which is to say, I don't think Delta warranted the media hype it got either.

Perhaps more importantly, the deaths graph shows the worst wave thus far was last January. Once vaccines started being rolled out en masse, every subsequent wave (including Delta in the fall) has seen fewer deaths.
Death rate so far for this latest wave has stayed virtually flat despite the increase in case numbers.

So, it would certainly help if more people chose to get vaccinated, so we can give the health care workers a much needed break. But, barring that, I agree with @Ronald Zeeman's statistical assessment here that we are likely seeing Covid's transition into something more endemic (like the flu, or the common cold).

@QueenOfFrance87 - I hope this helps reduce your anxiety and you can enjoy all your xmas plans. :)

I'm getting depressed yet again, when things were looking so good (Omicron)

Live music has been opening up, indoor settings of course due to winter weather, none of that has been actually cancelled yet but... I have this bad feeling that could change...

I'm not sure how much more I can take in terms of my mental health, I firmly believe that society is deeply impacted by not having enough direct human-to-human contact, I know I feel it... Our camera club yet again decided to postpone live meetings which we were considering holding in January... I've even noticed that the number of people out in public appears to be down this Christmas...

Oh boy, another Covid variant is spreading across the world!! People are just going to do whatever they want and stop listening to all the warnings. Most of them have never listened in the first place. We are all doomed. The idiots on Fakebook keep posting all kinds of male bovine droppings and filthy lies about the vaccines. The latest one is that the vaccine causes AIDS, which it does not, as it does not even contain HIV. But too many humans are too moronic to realize that.

How can anyone be happy in this planet anymore? I googled it and it said by doing things such as surrounding yourself by loved ones and getting back to nature. But what if you have no loved ones or you can't even go out without someone or something trying to kill you?

I'm starting to hate Covid (too strong of a word maybe?)

I just found out that a concert at my friend's small cafe tomorrow is cancelled because... You guessed it... A case of Covid by one of her employees, the business is closed for awhile... I feel dumped on, that concert was going to be the pinnacle of my weekend, now I feel like I have nothing to look forward to now

Going through the line at the grocery store, I was fairly honest with the clerk, she commented back that something else good would happen this weekend, maybe she's right but I'm not convinced :(

I was looking forward to getting together with my brothers sister and nieces and nephews Got cancelled, due to Omnicron.
So far still on track for April for the end. I could give a more exact date, once more data comes in.

I was looking forward to getting together with my brothers sister and nieces and nephews Got cancelled, due to Omnicron.
So far still on track for April for the end. I could give a more exact date, once more data comes in.

I keep thinking sometimes I need to complain less, concert vs. family gathering, that's no contest... I'm just getting very impatient, I did see your last comment but it's harder and harder to do that...

Due To my unusual mix of education and experience I am in a unique position of being able to sort out what this virus is up too. Thirty years experience reading and interpreting control charts really helps. My knowledge of microbiology does not hurt either. Just have patience all my charts are maintaining normality even with Omicron

Life sucks, again, and again... More restrictions in Alberta... I'm afraid of how many of my favourite cafes and coffee shops will disappear... And when will normal socializing ever happen again... I'm not sure how much more of this I can take before losing my mind... I feel like I'm losing everything... :( And I'm sure for many people a form of PTSD will linger for years after all of this...

Last edited:
Life sucks, again, and again... More restrictions in Alberta... I'm afraid of how many of my favourite cafes and coffee shops will disappear... And when will normal socializing ever happen again... I'm not sure how much more of this I can take before losing my mind... I feel like I'm losing everything... :( And I'm sure for many people a form of PTSD will linger for years after all of this...

One consolation is that we can all sympathize with each other together since this is a shared experience. Keep in mind it's the holiday season right now when friends, family (ie people) get together and are happily independent. Let's all track this for awhile and see if at each time of the year when people traditionally get together and are happily independent (e.g. holidays), the powers that be coincidentally (wink) try to quash things. In other words, it's probable that at every holiday season hereafter, there will be some reason purportedly critical enough for people not to get together with each other.

Have to remind yourself what's within your powers to affect. Businesses closing down etc. isn't something you can control. Heck, even if it's your own business there might come a time when it's no longer viable.

COVID is a good example of whether or not you'll allow all the "what if's" to affect you in your day to day. You could develop health anxiety or agoraphobia if you overloaded on news and assumed you were in grave danger the moment you stepped outside your home.

In the first few months of COVID I was deeply concerned, but we knew fairly early on about symptoms, those most at risk etc. The main driving force behind the fear has been how relentless the media has been with regards to all aspects of the pandemic. From shortages in several shops leading to mass panic buying across counties and nations, to conflicting info on the virus, the vaccines etc. The chronic indecisiveness of many countries politicians etc.

But again - all things that are outside of your control. Which can leave you feeling out of control which can fuel anxiety. Or you get to a point of laissez faire - let it be. After all, what's not within your powers to affect is not worth worrying about.

Now, this sounds too simple to be true. Or so basic that it's almost frustrating to listen to or consider. Sometimes the simplest solutions often provide the most invaluable results. But it's not something that occurs overnight. The thought processes of people on the spectrum are often very complex and in depth. Prone to overthinking and anxious rumination, going over the same thoughts or ideas again and again, until they almost become like a personal mantra.

It does simplify things to an extent when you take a step back from the narratives that drive negative emotions, and ponder for a moment if you're fixating on something that is unsolvable. Because, if you are - then it's a waste of time and energy. So why do we persist in concentrating upon it?

As with anything, it takes practice. I'm guilty of seemingly instinctively responding to many situations from an anxious or worrisome mindset. But I'm also getting quicker at realising when I'm peeing against the wind, and when I need to focus my attentions elsewhere.

Mind you, I had prolonged periods fretting over the end of the world. From the age of 9 and through my teen years. Eventually reaching a point of acceptance. COVID was no different. But for a virus with such a low mortality rate, the media is treating it as if it's the bubonic plague. It isn't.

Ed

Have to remind yourself what's within your powers to affect. Businesses closing down etc. isn't something you can control. Heck, even if it's your own business there might come a time when it's no longer viable.

COVID is a good example of whether or not you'll allow all the "what if's" to affect you in your day to day. You could develop health anxiety or agoraphobia if you overloaded on news and assumed you were in grave danger the moment you stepped outside your home.

In the first few months of COVID I was deeply concerned, but we knew fairly early on about symptoms, those most at risk etc. The main driving force behind the fear has been how relentless the media has been with regards to all aspects of the pandemic. From shortages in several shops leading to mass panic buying across counties and nations, to conflicting info on the virus, the vaccines etc. The chronic indecisiveness of many countries politicians etc.

But again - all things that are outside of your control. Which can leave you feeling out of control which can fuel anxiety. Or you get to a point of laissez faire - let it be. After all, what's not within your powers to affect is not worth worrying about.

Now, this sounds too simple to be true. Or so basic that it's almost frustrating to listen to or consider. Sometimes the simplest solutions often provide the most invaluable results. But it's not something that occurs overnight. The thought processes of people on the spectrum are often very complex and in depth. Prone to overthinking and anxious rumination, going over the same thoughts or ideas again and again, until they almost become like a personal mantra.

It does simplify things to an extent when you take a step back from the narratives that drive negative emotions, and ponder for a moment if you're fixating on something that is unsolvable. Because, if you are - then it's a waste of time and energy. So why do we persist in concentrating upon it?

As with anything, it takes practice. I'm guilty of seemingly instinctively responding to many situations from an anxious or worrisome mindset. But I'm also getting quicker at realising when I'm peeing against the wind, and when I need to focus my attentions elsewhere.

Mind you, I had prolonged periods fretting over the end of the world. From the age of 9 and through my teen years. Eventually reaching a point of acceptance. COVID was no different. But for a virus with such a low mortality rate, the media is treating it as if it's the bubonic plague. It isn't.

Ed

I know it's stuff I can't control, not even 1% of it

It's just that two years of economic disruption has impacted small business (my favourite kind of business), who have less ability to deal with things like Covid compared to a large company (and I'm not a fan of big business, starting with Amazon, Walmart, Starbucks, yes even Tim Horton's)... I have seen small cafes and coffee shops come and go in the past (pre-Covid), but this will hasten the demise of some (many) of them and at least for me they are places of comfort

And the overall economic impact regardless of what I just said has been enormous over the last two years, which means employment, a giant uncertainty for me and my situation...

That is why I fret, and even then maybe I shouldn't o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom