• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Crying hurts. I mean the act itself. It's like piano wire cutting my throat while my sinuses clog and I can't see, and sometimes I get an almost-Tourettish behavior of crying aloud, and not being able to stop without some major medications. That hasn't happened for several years now, and I am grateful.

It comes to me in times of stress, when I feel that I am completely useless and unwanted, but sometimes honestly I just crave the catharsis, just to feel a little human when I'm at my lowest…

I find it difficult to cry.

It's been over emotional pain in the past never through physical pain that I start to cry.

Others before me have put it well. Not being able to communicate well enough to someone else the emotional pain can be truly overwhelming.

I've tried to cry lately because I've been sad and tired, though unable. But I cannot remember to have had my last time hurt in pain, more as if relieving, rather.

I'd consider myself hypersensitive. Gets tears in my eyes when someone singing really beautiful. Prefer to watch tragic movies by myself, cause if can't hold my tears back at sad part, but also struggle with happy part of movies. If i watch tragic movies with others, i try to turn off my feelings, which is easier said than done. I try try to think about something else in the tragic part, and to wipe my tears discretely away :D

In the funeral of my best friend i literally fall apart when having to say my condolences to his family, and couldn't hardly speak. When i lost my best friend, i did cry many times before the funeral. Before that, i usually didn't cry before funerals, cause that were the moment i realised that i wouldn't see them again. Although i hadn't lost someone that meant as much to me fore that.

Not sure what is the best, but i sure would like to be less sensitive. To struggle not to cry at the stupid ending on Face Off, just feels wrong :D

I'd consider myself hypersensitive. Gets tears in my eyes when someone singing really beautiful. Prefer to watch tragic movies by myself, cause if can't hold my tears back at sad part, but also struggle with happy part of movies. If i watch tragic movies with others, i try to turn off my feelings, which is easier said than done. I try try to think about something else in the tragic part, and to wipe my tears discretely away :D
In the funeral of my best friend i literally fall apart when having to say my condolences to his family, and couldn't hardly speak. When i lost my best friend, i did cry many times before the funeral. Before that, i usually didn't cry before funerals, cause that were the moment i realised that i wouldn't see them again. Although i hadn't lost someone that meant as much to me fore that. Not sure what is the best, but i sure would like to be less sensitive. To struggle not to cry at the stupid ending on Face Off, just feels wrong :D
My condolances, there is nothing wrong with being oversensitive. I cry sometimes to the climax of my favorite movie, and I have one song on my laptop that always makes me cry.

I learned young, perhaps five or six, not to cry for any reason except when my father whipped me with his belt. Crying for any other reason earned a "I'll give you a reason to cry - stop being a baby!" and being whipped by our father.

Same thing for me. Crying was regarded as a weakness because "real men don't cry."

The only good thing my father did for me, aside from giving me some decent mechanical skills, was that he showed it was OK for a man to cry.

This is something I often think about! K find it extremely difficult to cry, unless at a funeral or if someone else is crying I can take on their pain. I kinda avoid funerals now and not often in company of someone else crying, so on average I end up crying at most about once a year. OFTEN feel
I want to cry but just can't. Get very depressed at times and that's when I wonder if crying might relieve some of the horrible feelings, but just can't do it. Tv doesn't interest me and therefore doesn't bring tears. Sometimes music will do it, I would have to be alone though and watching a live performance.

tumblr_o2xf0mwyKD1uj4qulo1_400.gif

Over the years, I've lost the ability to actually cry. I can sort of mimic the facial expressions of crying when I'm upset, but tears won't come. Mostly, I just end up getting angry and swearing a lot if I'm upset with myself for making a mistake. If I'm upset because of someone else, then I just sort of get depressed and reclusive.

When I was younger I didn't really cry much unless I got hurt badly. Now that I'm older I find I can cry at a drop of a hat. I guess having more life experience made me capable of relating better, but now the flood gates go open every. single. time. And it's annoying. Watching a movie, somebody dies, my mind goes 'Omg, what if my sibling/parent/spouse/etc dies?', cue sobbing. Or a happy ending: bawling supreme.

Also I found that I tend to cry when under lots of stress and having to 'talk it out'. My husband mentioned once how the 'fight' we had wasn't all that serious and why was I crying? Found out at that moment I will cry whenever my stress hits a certain level. Fun times...

Yes, I cry at the drop of a hat, too. We had to take my cat to the vet for her check up, and at one point they were giving her a pill and her distress tore at my heart so that I began to feel dangerously close to tears. I guess getting older does this because before, I would only cry when enraged.

I have noticed that I have started crying more, especially when frustrated, stressed, anxious, or overloaded. Sometimes I wish it would just stop, but then I wouldn't be able to release negative energy. So I think it is a good thing now.

I cry a lot and more recently then before, social problems, anxiety, living with a disability all being top tier reasons but also because the (poor) relationship with family, being unable to work, and feeling trapped with no future all being close seconds. Crying helps and feels validating but I feel its a less then stellar experience.

I also cry more easily because of a health situation, and find that I don't have the emotional strength I used to because I miss being healthy. I am now going through a sort of bereavement now over what I can no longer do, so that makes me cry a lot, too.

Crying isn't anything I have any control over. I've gotten more emotional over the years. Never used to cry over movies and now I will.
I cry a lot when overwhelmed or overstimulated. When my feelings are hurt or when I'm so angry I end up crying.
I've trained myself not to cry in front of my family. I can't cry at funerals. I feel sort of numb. If I cry in front of my family, something really shocking and unprepared for happened (not like a death usually, but like if I hit something with my car).

Talk about crying, the behavior.
Under what circumstances do you find yourself crying?

Almost never, unless I am intoxicated and watching sad movies. Or when someone I love is in terrible pain, or when they have died. Or when I have lost my self-control and am having a meltdown.

Times in the past (as a child, adolescent, whatever)

I cried pretty easily as a child/adolescent. Traumatic things, the stupid actions of other people, put a stop to that.

I don't know what I do instead of crying now....I don't think I really have an "instead of crying" behavior, and that is problematic for me.

What prompts your tears?

The pain/heartache of others. Sadness in stories.

Intense grief.

Overwhelming stress (has to be basically meltdown-point stress these days, but it used to be a lower threshold than that, and even good stress like relief could trigger it.)

What is that experience like for you?
How uncomfortable, if at all, is this topic for you?

I wish I could still cry easily.

This topic is not uncomfortable for me.

Do you find that your thoughts naturally divide
the topic into the behavior of 'crying' and the topic of
'having feelings'?
Or what?

I don't understand how people can cry unless they feel things that cause them to cry, but crying is not a feeling, so I suppose I do divide them....But then my brain also closely associates crying with feelings and I do this with other behaviors associated with emotions. So I guess it depends on the conceptual framework I'm using it and how/what I'm thinking about these things.

If I do cry it is extremely rare or if there are things that are too stressful, I'll end up being a little drunk and then I end up having a hard time controlling my ability to block out the noises that I heard constantly then I will break down. Sensory overload is extremely difficult to control and dealing with emotional problems on top of it is beyond. When I do cry it is either songs or movies that speak to me personally and deaths from people who were close to me.

Crying is not in my nature, mostly with how I was taught that no one will help you out at all if you cry but it does happen sometimes. I try to stop it because it does serve no purpose in the real world and I dealt with many bullies who told me not to cry.

There has always been a disconnect from me and those that can cry with no real prompts. My oldest cousin can watch Bambi and like lighting Bambi's mother dies and instant crying full waterworks. If I dared to cry fully no one will come to check on me at all or to see if I was alright growing up, so why bother.

Not understanding things I would either get if I was an NT and learning to "use my words" (I hated that phrase growing up) all of the time when I was younger would make me want to cry. Family members that I was close with (all of my grandparents on both sides) and friends that have died.

For me crying is that my eyes water, I can't see afterwards, my thoughts are muddlied, my throat clogs up from the snot running down my throat so it feels like I'm basically choking. Spitting all of that out is not fun at all and having to clean up is just a pain alot of the time. The not breathing part is mainly the reason why I stop myself so getting misty eyes and pouting is about it. I'm more likely to get pissed off at the world then cry. I am always worn out emotionally afterwards.

To me crying has always been something that I have seen in many different forms on TV and in real life. When I try it, it always seems fake or that I'm not doing it "properly" like everyone else is. I have feelings, it's just that no one really cares in my family or that don't ask me because I don't like trying to waste my energy to have to explain it.

New Threads

Top Bottom