• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"What makes you cry?"
The short answer: almost everything lol, I can honestly say that I cry every day.

This is the long answer:

I cry when I'm happy, sad, angry, scared, overwhelmed, proud, stressed, injured, sick, burned out, or anxious.
I think I cry equal amounts at happy things and sad things, but the thing that I find the most heartbreaking that is guaranteed to make me cry is people being mean, abusive, violent, or bullying. To other people, and animals, and to me or people I care about. Sometimes even people being mean to inanimate objects makes me cry, even though that's really embarrassing to admit. I have mentioned on here several times that I feel so much empathy that it's painful and emotionally draining.
This hasn't happened recently, thank goodness, but there have been a handful of posts on here in the time I've been here that were so unnecessarily mean and hostile that I actually cried after reading them.

This is kind of a side note, but I get really upset when people step on flowers or run them over. I don't like buying fresh flowers because they die after a few days and that makes me really sad.

Death is another thing I find really distressing. Not only will losing a loved one or a friend or a pet make me cry for a long time, but I will be haunted by it forever. I forget what it's called but there's actually a thing (maybe a disorder?) where people are permanently traumatized by grieving and it can actually cause kind of like a PTSD reaction. I definitely have that. I have been through a lot of unimaginable trauma and even very extreme child abuse, but losing my adoptive grandparents was one of the absolute worst things that's ever happened to me and I am legitimately traumatized.
When I have dogs and other pets that pass away, I tend to not really talk about them anymore because it's so painful. I still think about all of them all the time, but talking about it hurts.

This is another tangent, but to give an example of just how emotionally sensitive I am, one time I was watching TV, I don't remember what show it was but there was a scene where someone threw a stuffed animal in the trash, and it distressed me so much that I had to shut off the TV. That scene haunted me for a long time. I hate to admit it but this was relatively recent lol, like in the past couple of years.
I haven't told anyone that story before.

Movies, videos, music, and books make me cry a lot, whether it's a positive storyline or a negative one. But I think music makes me cry more than anything else because it makes me visualize things, some of which are deeply personal.
Movies where dogs, cats, or children die or are in significant danger are a huge no for me. Movies with disturbing or depressing themes, or will decrease my level of faith in humanity, are also an absolute no.
I've mentioned this before but true crime content makes me very sad. I love mysteries and investigative stories, but I can't handle true crime shows or videos because I am so disturbed by what happened to the victims and their families. I also get overwhelmed and scared thinking that it could've happened to me or someone I know. My entire childhood could've been a true crime story and I unfortunately have to be reminded of that on a regular basis (yes, there were actual crimes committed towards me, and they were pretty heinous.)
I can't watch the news either because it makes me too sad and scared. I have not watched televised news in over two years and I stick to only reading very straightforward and rational articles.

It's really hard for me to not burst into tears when I accomplish something big or win something, or when I'm proud of someone else. I am very emotionally affectionate towards people I care about and I do feel very proud of them when they succeed.

People being angry with me, being overly critical of me, or saying I failed at a task or did something wrong, is guaranteed to make me cry or at least feel very distressed. I will also apologize profusely and feel guilty.
When people are mean to me, I don't forget about it for a long time. I sometimes get very upset remembering something horrible someone said to me over a decade ago.
But people being kind to me in a way that stands out overwhelms me and makes me cry too.

Being in pain also makes me cry. I have an incredibly low threshold for pain. I don't only cry, but I almost always black out and sometimes I faint or throw up.
Before I had the hysterectomy, I had pelvic pain that made me shake uncontrollably and sob.
I am so glad I will never be able to give birth because I doubt I would survive, and I'm being completely serious.

TL;DR I cry at everything. I'm obviously overly sensitive and an emotional mess, and yes, I am getting help.

I have not cried for personal sadness for as long as I can remember. Sadness (in real life) usually makes me jump into "engineering" mode.*

Some bittersweet dramas, like The Good Doctor, have made me teary-eyed, but I have stopped watching it (for other reasons).

*Engineering mode is
  1. solving the imminent problem, or
  2. preparing for damage control.

Last edited:
I rarely cry. I can get anxious, stressed, angry, but I don't cry. I don't get how people cry when they are happy. It seems like a contradiction, an oxymoron. For me, happy things just make me... happy!

Having said that, I'm on medication at the moment, Zoloft. That dampens down emotion, and also allows me to cope with life, which has been hard for the past year or so. Add alexithymia to the mix, and that makes me quite unemotional.

I rarely cry. I can get anxious, stressed, angry, but I don't cry. I don't get how people cry when they are happy. It seems like a contradiction, an oxymoron. For me, happy things just make me... happy!

Having said that, I'm on medication at the moment, Zoloft. That dampens down emotion, and also allows me to cope with life, which has been hard for the past year or so. Add alexithymia to the mix, and that makes me quite unemotional.
Yeah, Zoloft made me completely emotionless. I went off it after a fairly short time because I found the inability to feel anything really frightening. People told me I didn't even smile anymore, I just had a flat, blank facial expression all the time.

If it's helping you cope with everything, and you're not experiencing any really adverse side effects, then that sounds like a more positive experience! But sometimes medications dampening emotions can feel a bit unnerving.

Yeah, Zoloft made me completely emotionless. I went off it after a fairly short time because I found the inability to feel anything really frightening. People told me I didn't even smile anymore, I just had a flat, blank facial expression all the time.

If it's helping you cope with everything, and you're not experiencing any really adverse side effects, then that sounds like a more positive experience! But sometimes medications dampening emotions can feel a bit unnerving.
I'm gradually reducing the dose of Zoloft, hope to wean myself off it soon. It did help me through a rough patch, though. I'm anxious about doing it, though - anxious about being anxious! Makes so sense really.

I'm gradually reducing the dose of Zoloft, hope to wean myself off it soon. It did help me through a rough patch, though. I'm anxious about doing it, though - anxious about being anxious! Makes so sense really.
Being anxious about being anxious actually makes total sense to me. This is a frequent state of mind for me as well.
I hope things get better for you soon! I'm sorry things were so rough.

I never cry. I'm not saying this as a brag, but there is little which moves me to the point of tears. I just..don't feel it. The last time I cried was maybe four years ago during a time when it was made apparent by my partner that I'd hurt their feelings, and out of guilt I wept. But that's it.

Pardon my style of response, suppose I'm older and being through most of asd flags so at this point I may be more analytical.
Tammy my best friend at college, I've tried to find her on Facebook, never did.
She was queen of mask but not superficial. Was forever finding characters in movies and copying this into her life.
When I'm emotional about or related to a piece in a movie I extract and use this to help me express my emotions. So years ago I created a cartoon character (not a superman or anything) so I create a page where ' Alice ' deals with her double life and in the cartoon doesn't like clerk superman just go to work but lives happy and does things I suppose I never could.

I suppose we sometimes need to express something to be at peace with it.

I'm right there with the people who say they cry at animal stories. Not just the happy ones (like the video posted earlier), but also videos about animal cruelty. That stuff enrages me and also makes me cry. That's a different cry -- a cry of outrage and frustration. Stories about animal rescue will also predictably make me cry. When that happens, I'm crying over how wonderful it is to see people working so hard to help an animal in trouble. It restores a little of my faith in humanity. (I'm tearing up just thinking about it, lol.)

By contrast, I don't cry much at stories of human suffering. I notice that I'm not nearly as outraged about that as I am about animal suffering. I'm not sure why. I suppose it's because I connect more easily with animals than people. I have lost a number of family members, but I didn't cry much. I've lost two dogs, and I cried my eyes out for weeks each time.

I do cry at human suffering sometimes. For instance, I have come across Youtube comments about various plights that have made me cry in sympathy for the person going through the struggle, because I identify.

I also sometimes cry when something feels deeply inspiring to me. Speaking of which, I think the crying over "happy" things goes deeper than just "happy." For instance, in the video posted earlier, that is about love. It's about how beautiful the bond is between those people and their animals. I think we cry because we are tapping into the deepest and most profound part of life.

When I say that I cry tears over very happy things but not sad things, I do not mean that sad things do not affect me. They affect me far more than happy things, just that the response is not tears. Loved ones dying - especially my best friends, who typically are not of the human species - permanently devastates me. I have many incapacitating PTSD's due to the illness and death of my friends.

Any cruelty devastates me. Cruelty is another source of PTSD. I can't watch war movies or action movies or witness hunting or anything involving morbidity or cruelty.
I really think that news sources should display the horrific, unsurvivable, wounds that assault rifles like the AR 15 do to bodies, especially of children. If our society wants these weapons designed only to kill people, then we must be willing to face what is done with them.
I would like to agree, but I have learned that most people that are staunch gun rights enthusiasts already knows and are even proud of that level of damage. I witnessed a demonstration of the kill power of an AR15 where a steel ammo can 1680533295844.pngwas filled with sand and placed 100 yards down range and shot with an AR15. We then walked down to the can and noticed the smooth, round entry hole the size of the round. Looked like it was drilled and machined. We all assumed that the round would be found in the sand. The can was then turned around to reveal the whole back of the can was blown open with flared sharp edges from corner to corner. I looked like it was blown open with a bomb. Remember, the can is made of hard steel - and filled with sand. As you imply these guns are designed specifically for the purpose of mass murder. Sorry, I guess this is off subject, but it is a devastating subject for me. It's just that my outward response is not tears.

When I say that I cry tears over very happy things but not sad things, I do not mean that sad things do not affect me. They affect me far more than happy things, just that the response is not tears. Loved ones dying - especially my best friends, who typically are not of the human species - permanently devastates me. I have many incapacitating PTSD's due to the illness and death of my friends.

Any cruelty devastates me. Cruelty is another source of PTSD. I can't watch war movies or action movies or witness hunting or anything involving morbidity or cruelty.

I would like to agree, but I have learned that most people that are staunch gun rights enthusiasts already knows and are even proud of that level of damage. I witnessed a demonstration of the kill power of an AR15 where a steel ammo can View attachment 100188was filled with sand and placed 100 yards down range and shot with an AR15. We then walked down to the can and noticed the smooth, round entry hole the size of the round. Looked like it was drilled and machined. We all assumed that the round would be found in the sand. The can was then turned around to reveal the whole back of the can was blown open with flared sharp edges from corner to corner. I looked like it was blown open with a bomb. Remember, the can is made of hard steel - and filled with sand. As you imply these guns are designed specifically for the purpose of mass murder. Sorry, I guess this is off subject, but it is a devastating subject for me. It's just that my outward response is not tears.
I understand. Having felt the sting of cruelty even when done with ignorance of my lived experiences, I remain sensitive to it and sometimes have an exaggerated sense of justice. When I do not cry over cruelty or injustice I tend towards a silent anger that has caused me to become Involved in political campaigns or anti-facist activities such as confronting the Westborough Baptist Church.

There are certain films and the music associated that can get to me that way, but it's not often. Music alone makes me feel things that I otherwise just never do.

In the case of funerals, it's never the loss of anyone that ever can make me cry. It will only be if seeing so many sad others gets to me, but again, it's not often.

Anime is more effective at getting me to cry than any other media.

"Your Lie in April" makes me cry absolute rivers. So does "Kimi ni Todoke," but for a different reason. I cried twice in "Clannad Afterstory." Cried for "The Day I Became a God." Also for "H20: Footprints in the Sand." Came very close to it for "Angel Beats" and "White Album 2."

Death of an animal friend. Particularly my first dog, and first horse, we were a strongly bonded triangle.
Death of my best friend.
Sometimes I'll cry in the movie theater, but it has to be totally convincing acting.

Just about a week ago, I realized something about myself that makes me wonder how different I am from others. I noticed that when hearing or reading a story or watching a movie or news story I am far more likely to cry if the subject is happy than if it is sad. I almost never cry about anything sad. It may make my angry, but never cry. I even find it hard to tell a story with a happy ending without crying. Movies or stories that involve great difficulties, especially by an underdog, that turns out with a happy / successful ending always makes me cry.

Is anybody else like this???
Sometimes I tear up when I find a movie scene touching. One movie broke me - Beaches (1988) BROKE me and made me cry the hardest of any movie. I feel I'm too young to watch this.

Also... Looking at old pictures or cards given to me from my grandparents that are deceased :, )

Anime is more effective at getting me to cry than any other media.

"Your Lie in April" makes me cry absolute rivers. So does "Kimi ni Todoke," but for a different reason. I cried twice in "Clannad Afterstory." Cried for "The Day I Became a God." Also for "H20: Footprints in the Sand." Came very close to it for "Angel Beats" and "White Album 2."
H20 sounds so sad!!! Anime can hit hard.

"What makes you cry?"
The short answer: almost everything lol, I can honestly say that I cry every day.

This is the long answer:

I cry when I'm happy, sad, angry, scared, overwhelmed, proud, stressed, injured, sick, burned out, or anxious.
I think I cry equal amounts at happy things and sad things, but the thing that I find the most heartbreaking that is guaranteed to make me cry is people being mean, abusive, violent, or bullying. To other people, and animals, and to me or people I care about. Sometimes even people being mean to inanimate objects makes me cry, even though that's really embarrassing to admit. I have mentioned on here several times that I feel so much empathy that it's painful and emotionally draining.
This hasn't happened recently, thank goodness, but there have been a handful of posts on here in the time I've been here that were so unnecessarily mean and hostile that I actually cried after reading them.

This is kind of a side note, but I get really upset when people step on flowers or run them over. I don't like buying fresh flowers because they die after a few days and that makes me really sad.

Death is another thing I find really distressing. Not only will losing a loved one or a friend or a pet make me cry for a long time, but I will be haunted by it forever. I forget what it's called but there's actually a thing (maybe a disorder?) where people are permanently traumatized by grieving and it can actually cause kind of like a PTSD reaction. I definitely have that. I have been through a lot of unimaginable trauma and even very extreme child abuse, but losing my adoptive grandparents was one of the absolute worst things that's ever happened to me and I am legitimately traumatized.
When I have dogs and other pets that pass away, I tend to not really talk about them anymore because it's so painful. I still think about all of them all the time, but talking about it hurts.

This is another tangent, but to give an example of just how emotionally sensitive I am, one time I was watching TV, I don't remember what show it was but there was a scene where someone threw a stuffed animal in the trash, and it distressed me so much that I had to shut off the TV. That scene haunted me for a long time. I hate to admit it but this was relatively recent lol, like in the past couple of years.
I haven't told anyone that story before.

Movies, videos, music, and books make me cry a lot, whether it's a positive storyline or a negative one. But I think music makes me cry more than anything else because it makes me visualize things, some of which are deeply personal.
Movies where dogs, cats, or children die or are in significant danger are a huge no for me. Movies with disturbing or depressing themes, or will decrease my level of faith in humanity, are also an absolute no.
I've mentioned this before but true crime content makes me very sad. I love mysteries and investigative stories, but I can't handle true crime shows or videos because I am so disturbed by what happened to the victims and their families. I also get overwhelmed and scared thinking that it could've happened to me or someone I know. My entire childhood could've been a true crime story and I unfortunately have to be reminded of that on a regular basis (yes, there were actual crimes committed towards me, and they were pretty heinous.)
I can't watch the news either because it makes me too sad and scared. I have not watched televised news in over two years and I stick to only reading very straightforward and rational articles.

It's really hard for me to not burst into tears when I accomplish something big or win something, or when I'm proud of someone else. I am very emotionally affectionate towards people I care about and I do feel very proud of them when they succeed.

People being angry with me, being overly critical of me, or saying I failed at a task or did something wrong, is guaranteed to make me cry or at least feel very distressed. I will also apologize profusely and feel guilty.
When people are mean to me, I don't forget about it for a long time. I sometimes get very upset remembering something horrible someone said to me over a decade ago.
But people being kind to me in a way that stands out overwhelms me and makes me cry too.

Being in pain also makes me cry. I have an incredibly low threshold for pain. I don't only cry, but I almost always black out and sometimes I faint or throw up.
Before I had the hysterectomy, I had pelvic pain that made me shake uncontrollably and sob.
I am so glad I will never be able to give birth because I doubt I would survive, and I'm being completely serious.

TL;DR I cry at everything. I'm obviously overly sensitive and an emotional mess, and yes, I am getting help.
The last time I cried at a mean post was a few weeks ago when youngin's where misinterpreting a joke, so I feel ya woman :,)
Yo, you're actually quite similar to me... I'm a sensitive soul to and used to be seen as a "crybaby" who would tear up at least once everyday. Showing Emotions = Strength.

New Threads

Top Bottom