• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clear ears = Messy mind

SparklAng

Ok, so I have had problems with my ears for a few years now. I was effectivly deaf in one ear. I finally had a ENT (ears nose and throat) appointment at the hospital, and after a lot of sticking various instruments and 'ear hoovers' into my ears, they retrived a few, urm, objects. (I dont remember really how they got there)

ANYWAY, right now, when I talk it feels like I am talking into a microphone. Especially I say the letter 's'. And everything is so loud. I used to have super sensitive hearing, and I guess I forgot what that was like. Now everything is irritating me because I can hear everything. Like, even when somone wiggles their toes I can hear their socks squeaking. Does anyone else have really sensitive hearing? Lots of 'layers of sound' always got to me, but now the intesnsty of noise is a lot worse. I live in a noisy environment anyway.... I was wondering about other's experiences with this sort of thing. Is there anything that helps you if you are ever overwhelmed by anything?

I've always been rather sensitive to both the low and high ends of the audio spectrum. Where the piercing scream of a child in a store can be as painful as a low-pitched vehicle lumbering past my apartment building.

It doesn't help that I also have tinnitus in my right ear.

Though I can handle anticipated sounds of such frequencies somewhat better than those of a sudden and unwanted nature.

Last edited:
I do have very sensitive hearing, but it's never changed so I've just had to get used to it. I would say in your situation either ear plugs or ear defenders would be good options, even if it's just while you readjust to being able to hear properly again.

Make them stop wiggling their toes. A cricket bat may be useful here. Or a gun, but that can be problematic. If your target audience is sufficiently meek the mere presence of the gun could be effective, however if you actually have to use it on one of them it will defeat the purpose, as guns are even louder than wiggling toes.
If you think you may have to make an example or two, the bat, or perhaps a knife might be more efficient.

I have it too. Can't stand to many people talking at once and also don't like the sound of hammering.

My hearing isn't quite that sensitive, but I get overwhelmed if I don't have my earbuds in at work. Thing is, everyone in my workspace is super-respectful of each other, but still the combined cacophony of "people noises" gets overwhelming. I can hear people breathing, sniffling, coughing, every little squeak of a chair, fingers hammering keyboards, and forget about it if there's more than one phone conversation happening at one time.

So I put in my earbuds, even if I'm not listening to music. It's not as good as earplugs, but is more socially acceptable than earplugs.

Plus, with earbuds people will only bother me with important things. Don't have to say 50 "good mornings". Additionally, even if I don't want to listen to music but do want to block noise, there are hours-long clips of white noise on YouTube that can at least replace the drunken symphony of people-noise with a low steady hum or something comforting.

You make me think of my mother, she had some stuff removed from her ears and now she cant stand noise even less than me and my father.She relay cant control her reaction sometimes.

Have you seen my toes?

Don't make me start wiggling.

That isn't thunder.
Please stop wiggling your toes then, because if they really are that loud, that would explain the random thunder storms that are hitting the uk currently. Everyone is getting rather concerned, and also my cat is getting scared.

Make them stop wiggling their toes. A cricket bat may be useful here. Or a gun, but that can be problematic. If your target audience is sufficiently meek the mere presence of the gun could be effective, however if you actually have to use it on one of them it will defeat the purpose, as guns are even louder than wiggling toes.
If you think you may have to make an example or two, the bat, or perhaps a knife might be more efficient.

The noise of alarmed screams coming from the toe wigglers (because they are staring at a knife pointed threatiningly in their direction) would also be louder than wiggling toes. Prehaps the answer is to politely ask people to do their feet a favour and not wear cheap, squeaky socks that make me want to remove the offending toes (with previously mentioned knife).

New Threads

Top Bottom