• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Behavioral Activation Therapy maybe is better for ADHD Aspies with Depression?

kneeproblemguy

I 've tested CBT and ACT and both of them require that one note down what one do and what one think during the day and then report to the Therapist or to oneself to see patterns what makes one depressed.

Having a severe ADHD makes me unable to write down anything. I have many years of this not being possible.
And when I stood in queue or in line for a CBT Therapist here where I live and after one year of waiting and when
that therapist noticed my inability to write down anything then she gave the whole thing up and wrote herself ill
and started another career as a Gerontolog something. Taking care of Elder peoples daily activities.

More rewarding I guess. She was ill for one year as a burned out therapist. So the education to be a CBT therapist
seems to not have prepared her for the problem with ADHD not being good at writing down things in a structured way.

I tried out ACT Steven Hayes online but them failed to give any advice what to do when one fail to do "homework"
e.g. writing down what happens to one during the day. Seems them not have any good advice for such failures.

So I felt happy when I found this new therapy named Behavioral Activation Therapy.

But I feel unsure what it is all about. Their text on their homepage is so abstract. It seems to written for other Therapists.

Their book was very costly so I did not buy it.

Any experiences or thoughts about Behavioral Activation Therapy welcomed. Does it look promising to be good for us with mild depression?

I would recommend that you post an inquiry on Rick Ross Cult Information Network (rickross.com) and see if anyone there knows anything about this therapy and who is behind it. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of shady groups and individuals out there, and it pays to do your homework. I'd specifically search/post in the forum entitled Large Group Awareness Training (LGAT). Chances are this therapy is legitimate, but one never knows.

Spinning Compass, thanks for good advice there. Nope them no sect or cult.
ACT can by some maybe seen a possible cult or sect but I guess Steven Hayes
would feel very misunderstood if one saw his ACT as such. To him what he do
is pure science and not something to look down upon at all.

ruennsheng, well the therapy in itself is not free. But there is a free mail list one can join.

That is for ACT and that one are rather active but the one for BA seems to fail to be active.
Last time I did take a look them had not written on it for months.

ruennsheng, I see that you have written about ADHD in another thread so maybe I get active in that one too.

New Threads

Top Bottom