• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic people & waffles?

We do have a waffle house restaurant here. From looks of the parking lot, not sure how it's doing. But l did drive by the iconic waffles and chicken restaurant in LA. People were actually dress to the tens to go into a swanky waffle house.

Great hopping haggis, @Gerald Wilgus, you could be a food writer! :) Or maybe I'm just a hobbit. Or maybe it's both...
OMG LOL The image of a sheep's stomach stuffed with oatmeal and other things
hopping across a table chased by a knife wielding kilted cook is an image I have. All to the music of skirling bagpipes. I cannot unsee that.

Wow, you Norwegians don’t screw around. We’re all the rest of us a bunch of waffle amateurs.

Those photos make me think of stroopwaffles. Do you guys have those there? I rarely eat sweet things, but I just so happened to have acquired a box of vegan stroopwaffles the other day, which were a grand delight.
The first time I tried Stroopwaffles was at a local microbrewery. During the winter to combat boredom they would have a movie and dinner night with a meal inspired by the movie. The movie was The Brand New Testament. HILARIOUS. The 5 course dinner was Belgian inspired which was right up their alley since they brew Belgian Dubbels and Trippels. At each course they paired it with one of their beers. That's life in our area for ya'.

Those photos make me think of stroopwaffles. Do you guys have those there? I rarely eat sweet things, but I just so happened to have acquired a box of vegan stroopwaffles the other day, which were a grand delight.
Stroopwafels are so good. There’s a market stall in my city that sells them hot and freshly made. I used to go there during high school lunch breaks and just buy a bag of broken waffles with hot syrup on them (cheaper than buying whole waffles, still very tasty). I can’t pass that stall without buying one :)

OMG LOL The image of a sheep's stomach stuffed with oatmeal and other things
hopping across a table chased by a knife wielding kilted cook is an image I have. All to the music of skirling bagpipes. I cannot unsee that.

Have you been watching Monarch of the Glen? ;)

Imaginations are such fun.

The first time I tried Stroopwaffles was at a local microbrewery. During the winter to combat boredom they would have a movie and dinner night with a meal inspired by the movie. The movie was The Brand New Testament. HILARIOUS. The 5 course dinner was Belgian inspired which was right up their alley since they brew Belgian Dubbels and Trippels. At each course they paired it with one of their beers. That's life in our area for ya'.
Oh, I love Belgian Dubbels and Tripels. And waffles. Good things.

Oh my mom and I used to watch that together :D

The son was very good-looking but I thought he was too much trouble as a prototype for romantic involvement. That would have been like root canal therapy. Or like milking a mouse. He was so disconnected from his own emotions, and probably hid a ton of stuff from his contemplation. :dizzy:

And he never ate waffles.

The son was very good-looking but I thought he was too much trouble as a prototype for romantic involvement. That would have been like root canal therapy. Or like milking a mouse. He was so disconnected from his own emotions, and probably hid a ton of stuff from his contemplation. :dizzy:

And he never ate waffles.
My mom thought the son was so dreamy. Me, I just marveled at the Scottish language. Although I didn’t mind looking at the son either :D

Yeah, @Bolletje, I could eat the Scottish accent. And I thought Lexie should have kicked the son's posterior and found herself an emotionally mature man who cherished her. See, I don't even remember his name. But I remember hers! :)

@Suzette, in Australia we call it a fishing expedition when you deliberately post something a bit naughty, like saying all fruit in a jar is jam, mam - it implies you're looking to see if you will get a "bite" and I indeed obliged! :) So you got lots of fish. :fish::tropicalfish::fish::tropicalfish::fish::tropicalfish:

I do the same kind of thing with people who I think won't take it as badly intended, and sometimes I also get fish. :fish::tropicalfish::fish::tropicalfish::fish::tropicalfish:

It's a bit like friendly jousting, using words. Teasing someone, without any malice, just to have fun and expecting to be teased back in a good-natured way.

To complicate things, not everyone's fishing expeditions are necessarily friendly, but amongst friends, they usually are! :) It's the intention - which is to produce laughter, not discomfort, and for everyone in the situation.

Hope that helps! :cherryblossom:
That is called "repartee" around here.
On another forum, I refer to myself as a "Repartee Animal." ;)

People who do not get sarcasm [being facetious] don't always get repartee, either, so I try to "test the waters," first.

Last edited:
I like waffles, but my wife likes pancakes, So, at home we have pancakes. Happy wife, happy life. Sometimes we go to IHOP for breakfast. Then I have waffles and she has pancakes.

That sounds really tasty. I think you're right about the Mason Dixon line thing. I'm north of that and we do call it "stuffing". From a culinary perspective, technically "stuffing" is cooked in the bird and if/when the same ingredients are cooked in a container (not in the bird) like a casserole dish, it's called "dressing".

I agree! "Stuffing" is inside the bird, or a butterflied, rolled pork loin, or stuffed inside a bell pepper, a squash, or in a slit in a big thick pork chop, or whatever vessel will hold it. Yum.

That is called "repartee" around here.
On another forum, I refer to myself as a "Repartee Animal." ;)

ROFL. :smile: (Was it you with the animated emoji of the drum kit? I was on a forum once where they had an animated emoji of a little person rolling around on the floor laughing. It got a lot of use by all and sundry... then they changed the forum software and no more animated emoji menu. :sob: I still miss that emoji.)

People who do not get sarcasm [being facetious] don't always get repartee, either, so I try to "test the waters," first.

Repartee is such a fancy-pants French-sounding word, no wonder Aussies don't commonly use it! :grinning: And you should hear how they pronounce Grand Prix, bwahahaha. :innocent:

On international forums, it seemed to me that people from the US often didn't get sarcasm, irony, parody, ribbing, friendly fishing etc, like as a cultural thing - while in Australia it's basically part of the national character. And allegedly some NDs have difficulty with these things, and allegedly with metaphors and abstractions, but how common is that really? As an ND thing? (Lots of NTs don't get these either.) Is there a thread on this? Because plenty of people on here get all these things, and use them very well.

And my next post will be about waffles, I promise. While this one is kind of just waffling. ;)

OK, now this might get controversial. It's about a cousin of the waffle, the ice cream cone, which originally started out as a sort of waffle and still is a bit like that when home-made, as in this photo I found on an image search.

iu

Very neat idea BTW, to dip the end in chocolate to seal it off, in home-made cones. :sunglasses:

And while I like waffles (at least the ones we make at home), I usually dislike ice cream cones. They're just too sweet for me, and a lot of them taste more like sugary polystyrene than waffle, and seem not to be actual food (as in, something useful for the body rather than unhelpful). The home-made versions or the ones that look like them I can at least tolerate.

But these things...

iu

Gah. :tongueclosed: It even looks injection-moulded and industrial...:screamcat:

Very like Expandafoam used in buildings, actually...

Some of you may feel similar, some completely opposite. Let's hear it.

And I'll end with a photo from the search that probably more of us will be able to agree on. At least after a 20-mile bicycle ride in the heat.

Warning: Drool alert - napkins may be required by susceptible people. ;) :innocent:

iu

Those Scandis again! Really going to town! No wonder they come up so high in national happiness ratings! :yum:

ROFL. :smile: (Was it you with the animated emoji of the drum kit...?)
Yes, I have a *rimshot* smiley.
ROFL. :smile: (...I was on a forum once where they had an animated emoji of a little person rolling around on the floor laughing. It got a lot of use by all and sundry... then they changed the forum software and no more animated emoji menu. :sob: I still miss that emoji.)
I have a copy of that one, too.
full

Repartee is such a fancy-pants French-sounding word,...
"Repartee Animal" is a play on "Party Animal."
full

On international forums, it seemed to me that people from the US often didn't get sarcasm, irony, parody, ribbing, friendly fishing etc, like as a cultural thing - while in Australia it's basically part of the national character. And allegedly some NDs have difficulty with these things, and allegedly with metaphors and abstractions, but how common is that really? As an ND thing?
I use sarcasm & dry humor [edit: deadpan], but I don't always recognize it in others.
One indicator (for me) is when a literal reading would make absolutely no sense.

I am also an amateur linguist, so I presume misunderstood phrases to be exotic idioms, first.
Even in movies that are made outside of the USA, there are instances of humor that we don't see in American films. Example...

Last edited:
OK, now this might get controversial. It's about a cousin of the waffle, the ice cream cone, which originally started out as a sort of waffle and still is a bit like that when home-made, as in this photo I found on an image search.

iu

Very neat idea BTW, to dip the end in chocolate to seal it off, in home-made cones. :sunglasses:

And while I like waffles (at least the ones we make at home), I usually dislike ice cream cones. They're just too sweet for me, and a lot of them taste more like sugary polystyrene than waffle, and seem not to be actual food (as in, something useful for the body rather than unhelpful). The home-made versions or the ones that look like them I can at least tolerate.

But these things...

iu

Gah. :tongueclosed: It even looks injection-moulded and industrial...:screamcat:

Very like Expandafoam used in buildings, actually...

Some of you may feel similar, some completely opposite. Let's hear it.

And I'll end with a photo from the search that probably more of us will be able to agree on. At least after a 20-mile bicycle ride in the heat.

Warning: Drool alert - napkins may be required by susceptible people. ;) :innocent:

iu

Those Scandis again! Really going to town! No wonder they come up so high in national happiness ratings! :yum:
The crunchy cones are awesome. Those sad cardboard cones are sadness and I want nothing to do with them. As a kid, when I was offered ice cream, I would always have a peek at the type of cones they had on stock, and refused if they had the latter.

The crunchy cones are awesome. Those sad cardboard cones are sadness and I want nothing to do with them. As a kid, when I was offered ice cream, I would always have a peek at the type of cones they had on stock, and refused if they had the latter.

Yeah, I didn't like those either and therefore got raised eyebrows for being a kid who didn't like ice-cream. I learnt later I do like ice-cream - actual traditional ice-cream, not the overly sugary confections and not the things in the industrial-looking cones. But if all you ever see is that type of ice-cream...

A place in a neighbouring town makes honey-hazelnut ice-cream, not over-sweet and using actual cream - very nice. I make mine with a mixture of whipped cream and pureed berries, 50-50, with just a little sugar added and not tons. Interestingly, we've never had a complaint from guests about it not being sweet enough. They're too busy enjoying the intense berry flavours. And it's simple to make.

I have a copy of that one, too.
full

That's a bit French Revolution. ;) The one we had was an actual cartoon person lying on their back beating their arms and legs on the floor and rolling their head around. It was very good...

"Repartee Animal" is a play on "Party Animal."
full

Yes, excellent pun, which is why I was laughing. Hadn't heard that one before! Hee hee. :tonguewink: Do you spoonerise? We had a really unpleasant politician here called Barry O'Farrell. So he became Farry O'Barrel to us. And then a friend of ours called him that independently as well, making all of us laugh.
He was also forever playing with language, and had the added quirk of inventing strange contraptions in his head. He was a veterinarian, and tired of putting down horses from the racing industry, so he told us he thought they should get a walk-in automatic horse mincer and leave him alone. Sort of like a thing we once saw on Wallace & Gromit, except that was for sheep, invented by some evil person...

The fancy-French thing was a bit of a comment on Australians, who are not obliged to learn any languages other than English - unlike Europeans, who learn other languages in high school...

I use sarcasm & dry humor, but I don't always recognize it in others.
One indicator (for me) is when a literal reading would make absolutely no sense.

Body language helps - it's more difficult online, even with emojis. Depending on how poker faced your real-life jester is, of course, but the very fact that someone is putting on a poker face itself is a good giveaway. And most people can't stop their eyes from glinting, or the corners of their mouths from turning up...

The real headache is when someone does this passive-aggressively, with some underlying malice, under the guise of "it's a joke" - then that's actually very uncool. So it's best to do that only with people with whom you've not had any unpleasant issues. Minimises the risk of it going awry.

I worked in a department once where the whole lot of us staff spent much of the day saying the exact opposite of what we actually meant just to be outrageous, and because we had a lot of mutual respect and knew each other well, it was very funny and didn't result in miscommunications.

Thanks for the link! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom