• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic people & waffles?

@Callistemon, thank you. I am familiar with the term "fishing" but have only seen it expressed in a negative way. "Fishing for compliments" or "fishing for information".

Regarding my "jam mam" comment, I was simply teasing you for your rather pedantic classification of various fruit preserves. :)

@Callistemon, thank you. I am familiar with the term "fishing" but have only seen it expressed in a negative way. "Fishing for compliments" or "fishing for information".

We do not live in America. Our culture is different, which is why I explained how that term is often used in Australia. If you decide to take it as a negative anyway, that's up to you, but was not the intention. :)

Regarding my "jam mam" comment, I was simply teasing you for your rather pedantic classification of various fruit preserves. :)

And I teased you back because you attempted to jokingly imply I was being pedantic, when if you actually make a lot of preserves, it's a really important point to call things what they are, not what they are not. Like an apple is not an orange, although both are fruit. It's only "pedantic" if you think that's unimportant. :)

Now that I've got a source for eggs again I can get the waffle maker out.

I got a heavy Sears-Roebuck Challenger iron, one of those massive 1930s models that looks like an art deco manhole cover. That thing makes righteous waffles; it's just a bit difficult to keep seasoned due to the aluminum grids. If you have an old waffle-maker that's easy to use, it will be the heavy cast-iron type that sits on top of a woodstove. My brother & I found one of those from 1925 in the house--guess Mom had bought it at a garage sale. Tried it out, used too much butter, flipped it over and set the electric stove on fire.

Did you know that you can experiment with different waffle recipes in old cook-books & get entirely different waffles? Cookbooks from the modern times are going to make a fluffy waffle almost like a pancake, maybe sweeter by just a little bit. Very old cookbooks gave recipes where you beat egg whites to stiff peaks & fold them into the batter--making a waffle that nearly glazes itself, is crunchy, and (though delicious) isn't very sweet. They even used to have rice waffles, bacon waffles, cornmeal waffles (These are actually good) and all kinds of stuff.

One time just to experiment I took a 1940s cookbook & tried cooking breakfast the way it would've been done then. I used a Sunbeam vacuum coffeemaker designed in 1939, free-range eggs to make an omelet, waffles made according to the old folded egg-white recipe, and then gave up on paprika & such and used black pepper & Worcestershire sauce (because I was using 1940s white-people directions and they'd not yet heard of spices, sadly.) Still, it came out very good. Waffles are fun.

The trend for Belgian waffles now is a good thing. I think I'm going to make waffles tonight; got eggs I want to use up & some pancake flour to get rid of as well. Already used up the last of the meat in the fridge, & a couple of potatoes, making hash. I might have waffles tomorrow morning.

The only type of waffle I’m familiar with is the Belgian waffle. I like those, although I rarely eat them. But I agree with @Ronald Zeeman , Dutch pancakes are great. My boyfriend loves making them, lucky me :grin:

I got a heavy Sears-Roebuck Challenger iron, one of those massive 1930s models that looks like an art deco manhole cover.

ROFL. :smile::sunglasses: Wonderful description, I can really imagine it! :)

I do appreciate it when people think about the words they are using, and take care how they arrange them. Good writing is such a wonderful thing to read. :sunflower:

And I have a technical question. I was given a waffle maker as a present, and it was not the sort I would have bought for myself (we try to buy things that will last a lifetime and are able to be repaired), but I'm using it anyway. The problem was flimsy construction. The metal inner parts are fine, but the outer shell was flimsy friable plastic that screamed "inbuilt obsolescence" and broke within a year - just after the expiration of the warranty, as if it had been furnished with a date-activated time bomb. :unamused:

I still use the broken waffle maker regularly, 5 years later. We've got trip switches (which it's never set off) plus I use insulators to handle the broken appliance when it's plugged in. Since the top shell is broken, I can no longer use the inbuilt handle to lift the lid (yeah, really bad construction, grrr), but have to use an insulated utensil to lift the lid to get waffles in and out.

The shell can't be repaired - I looked at gluing it, but it's like a party ice fracture, and friable and clearly got degraded by the heat of operating the appliance over time. And you can't get replacement parts. So I guess my question is, do you have any suggestions which are better than continuing to use the now top-shell-less waffle maker as is - any ideas for repairing such a built-not-to-be-reparable item?

I swear, if I ever see an old waffle maker in a second-hand shop I will buy it. I had one made with a metal outer shell that was 20 years old when I got it and lasted me another 15 before it gave up the ghost in a way that wasn't fixable...

Did you know that you can experiment with different waffle recipes in old cook-books & get entirely different waffles? Cookbooks from the modern times are going to make a fluffy waffle almost like a pancake, maybe sweeter by just a little bit. Very old cookbooks gave recipes where you beat egg whites to stiff peaks & fold them into the batter--making a waffle that nearly glazes itself, is crunchy, and (though delicious) isn't very sweet. They even used to have rice waffles, bacon waffles, cornmeal waffles (These are actually good) and all kinds of stuff.

This is great! I usually use an old recipe from John Seymour's famous old self-sufficiency bible written sometime in the 60s/70s - wholemeal rye waffles. I make them with milk and one egg and a bit of melted butter or (good) oil, for a batch of around 6-8. No added sugar, that's a new-fandangled addition from the lifestyle disease age. If you've got sweet toppings like fruit or ice-cream, the plain waffle makes a good contrast, rather than having the saccharine sort of avalanche of many modern cakes etc.

Nice idea to work with beaten egg whites, cornmeal, etc etc, must try it! :sunglasses:

One time just to experiment I took a 1940s cookbook & tried cooking breakfast the way it would've been done then. I used a Sunbeam vacuum coffeemaker designed in 1939, free-range eggs to make an omelet, waffles made according to the old folded egg-white recipe, and then gave up on paprika & such and used black pepper & Worcestershire sauce (because I was using 1940s white-people directions and they'd not yet heard of spices, sadly.) Still, it came out very good. Waffles are fun.

I think I have to give savoury waffles a go.

If you like recreating time-period foods, and you've not seen this series, you're in for a treat - and it's all on YT:

Great fun, very informative, with period costumes and great research and this wonderful multi-layered humour from the two presenters! :hearteyes:

The shell can't be repaired - I looked at gluing it, but it's like a party ice fracture, and friable and clearly got degraded by the heat of operating the appliance over time. And you can't get replacement parts. So I guess my question is, do you have any suggestions which are better than continuing to use the now top-shell-less waffle maker as is - any ideas for repairing such a built-not-to-be-reparable item?

Scrap it. I suppose you could (if truly desperate) glue a ceramic plate or something on top of it with heat-proof cements or something but honestly, if it's made of plastic outside, who knows what the grids are seasoned with, or when it'll catch fire.

Lehman's non-electric catalog has a cast-iron waffle maker, unpowered. If you have coals from a wood fire, a gas range, or some kind of electric element you don't mind setting it on, this might work--but cast-iron waffle makers take a ton of effort to use.

I have no idea what's available in Australia. Get a heavy waffle iron, secondhand--anything metal. Any antique waffle iron from the 1910s-1960s should be decent, if you can get something from a decent quality brand. Buy for condition first, aesthetics second. A beat-up 1920s Hotpoint will not be as easy to keep functional as a clean but bland-looking 1950s Sunbeam. I paid $40 for my old Sears Roebuck one and if it ever quits, I can fix it. So far it has not. Also, if it's automatic, that's probably easy to fix--most likely it is just a bimetallic thermostat.

The cords are the tricky part; most are an extra-thick cord insulated with probably a layer of asbestos inside of a cloth wrapping. They're fine, it's just that if they're worn out, replace them.

We actually use manhole covers here. :) It works great and it's easy to make a manhole cover waffle iron.

View attachment 77624 View attachment 77625 View attachment 77626 View attachment 77627 View attachment 77628

Wow, you Norwegians don’t screw around. We’re all the rest of us a bunch of waffle amateurs.

Those photos make me think of stroopwaffles. Do you guys have those there? I rarely eat sweet things, but I just so happened to have acquired a box of vegan stroopwaffles the other day, which were a grand delight.

Man, @Forest Cat, we're dead impressed with you Scandis! Now you're talking! :sunglasses:

Do you use ostrich eggs to make these waffles?

...because it kind of reminds me of that joke, where the bushman says, "Hey, I found an ostrich egg! Let's make an omelette and invite the whole extended family!" :grin:

...and by the way, this is the best waffle thread ever! :hearteyes: It's so thorough, and wide-ranging, and if it hasn't got everything in it yet, it soon will have! :yum:

You guys are such a cool crowd. I kind of feel sorry for NTs...

Wow, you Norwegians don’t screw around. We’re all the rest of us a bunch of waffle amateurs.

Those photos make me think of stroopwaffles. Do you guys have those there? I rarely eat sweet things, but I just so happened to have acquired a box of vegan stroopwaffles the other day, which were a grand delight.
stroop waffles, translated Syrup waffles knowing more than one language shows how they are interconnected.

I got a heavy Sears-Roebuck Challenger iron, one of those massive 1930s models that looks like an art deco manhole cover. That thing makes righteous waffles; it's just a bit difficult to keep seasoned due to the aluminum grids. If you have an old waffle-maker that's easy to use, it will be the heavy cast-iron type that sits on top of a woodstove. My brother & I found one of those from 1925 in the house--guess Mom had bought it at a garage sale. Tried it out, used too much butter, flipped it over and set the electric stove on fire.

The trend for Belgian waffles now is a good thing. I think I'm going to make waffles tonight; got eggs I want to use up & some pancake flour to get rid of as well. Already used up the last of the meat in the fridge, & a couple of potatoes, making hash. I might have waffles tomorrow morning.

I make waffles with leftover cornbread dressing (called stuffing above the Mason Dixon line in the US) at Thanksgiving. I don't like sugar for breakfast and prefer a savory waffle.

I make waffles with leftover cornbread dressing (called stuffing above the Mason Dixon line in the US) at Thanksgiving. I don't like sugar for breakfast and prefer a savory waffle.

That sounds really tasty. I think you're right about the Mason Dixon line thing. I'm north of that and we do call it "stuffing". From a culinary perspective, technically "stuffing" is cooked in the bird and if/when the same ingredients are cooked in a container (not in the bird) like a casserole dish, it's called "dressing".

My kids thought putting bacon in pancakes was weird until they stayed at my parents house for a few days, now they understand.
Everything is better with bacon. A restaurant near me, The Lighthouse, makes loaded hash browns, The Pirate's Bounty, with sausage, onions, mushrooms, green pepper and bacon topped with cheddar. I can only finish a half order and need a good bike ride after to burn off some of the calories..

Everything is better with bacon. A restaurant near me, The Lighthouse, makes loaded hash browns, The Pirate's Bounty, with sausage, onions, mushrooms, green pepper and bacon topped with cheddar. I can only finish a half order and need a good bike ride after to burn off some of the calories..

Those hashbrowns sound very tasty. If I ate something like that though, my gallbladder would probably explode and if not, I'd have a week long gallbladder attack.

Cooking bacon in the centre of a flat thin pan cake, crepes in French a Dutch thing The French probably stuck their nose up at this. sure tastes good.

New Threads

Top Bottom