• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic people & waffles?

A place in a neighbouring town makes honey-hazelnut ice-cream, not over-sweet and using actual cream - very nice. I make mine with a mixture of whipped cream and pureed berries, 50-50, with just a little sugar added and not tons. Interestingly, we've never had a complaint from guests about it not being sweet enough. They're too busy enjoying the intense berry flavours. And it's simple to make.
I love good ice cream. My father is quite the enthusiastic ice cream maker, which I can't say I mind. He mostly makes fruit sorbet, never too sweet, always very fruity. Occasionally I am called to come over and do an ice cream tasting. Woe is me ;) I love the freshness of sorbet. I think red berries and pink grapefruit are my favorites, although my dad never made a fruit sorbet I don't like.

The one we had was an actual cartoon person lying on their back beating their arms and legs on the floor and rolling their head around. It was very good...
Seen it, but I don't have it.
Do you spoonerise?
Not often. My closest is, "Hey, I resemble that remark...!"
Body language helps - it's more difficult online, even with emojis.
Many of us misread body language and subtle facial expressions, though I pick up cues when there are conflicting voice inflections.
The real headache is when someone does this passive-aggressively, with some underlying malice, under the guise of "it's a joke" - then that's actually very uncool. So it's best to do that only with people with whom you've not had any unpleasant issues. Minimises the risk of it going awry.
For me, it is like a verbal snowball fight.
It can be great fun with people you trust,
but a downer with proud, hyper-competive players.

BTW, autism (by itself) does not make us anti-social.
We tend to be dys-social. That is, we still seek out friendly connections; we are just very klutzy at it.

Many of us misread body language and subtle facial expressions

Is this just with humans, or also with other animals? I mean, a lot of people, NT and ND, think it's easier to read their dog than to read the average person, because the dog isn't hiding things etc. And lots of NDs are really good with animals, but I've not seen any statistical comparisons as to whether they're statistically better with animals than NTs (by whatever criteria). The NDs I've known working with horses, for example, have less of a tendency to anthropomorphise and are more instinctive about communicating with them, and they work things out from first principles rather than accepting received wisdom which, in the horse world, has often been way off the mark...

s this just with humans, or also with other animals? I mean, a lot of people, NT and ND, think it's easier to read their dog than to read the average person, because the dog isn't hiding things etc.
With family, friends & pets, [I] have the additional benefit of familiarity on my side.

But what's generally easier - meeting a dog/cat/etc you don't know yet, or meeting a human you don't know yet? Or is it about the same?

But what's generally easier - meeting a dog/cat/etc you don't know yet, or meeting a human you don't know yet? Or is it about the same?
For me, it is probably about the same.
Animals do not seem to have ulterior motives, but most humans don't either.
Those humans that do have such usually exhibit glaring inconsistencies in their stated values.
Animals & unpretentious humans do not.

I love waffles and waffle cones, too...pancakes, not so much. There is just something delightful about a food that holds onto all that melted butter and syrup. :D

I love how this thread started out about some dumb possibly non-existent stereotype & went nuts about waffles. Maybe waffles are just well-liked universally.

Maybe waffles are just well-liked universally.

Yet by themselves, how many people would eat them without some sort of sugary or butter flavored substance typically associated with waffles? I certainly wouldn't. Too bland!

Though on rare occasion I've eaten microwave pancakes heated with nothing on them. Go figure. o_O

Funny to think of so many foods that by themselves aren't appealing at all. :p

Yet by themselves, how many people would eat them without some sort of sugary or butter flavored substance typically associated with waffles? I certainly wouldn't. Too bland!

Though on rare occasion I've eaten microwave pancakes heated with nothing on them. Go figure. o_O

Have you ever had homemade Norwegian waffles. Plain or dressed they are an amazing yum.

Have you ever had homemade Norwegian waffles. Plain or dressed they are an amazing yum.

Never even heard of them. But then Belgian waffles without any powdered sugar wouldn't appeal to me either.

Though I'm a bit of a rebel and won't hesitate to eat raw cookie dough. :D

I hadn't either until my best friend introduced me to them in college, her grandmother's recipe. What really make them amazing is the cardamom.

I hadn't either until my best friend introduced me to them in college, her grandmother's recipe. What really make them amazing is the cardamom.

Had to look that up. But that goes back to what I said about foods without such additives for flavor.

"Cardamom, sometimes cardamon or cardamum, is a spice made from the seeds of several plants in the genera Elettaria and Amomum in the family Zingiberaceae. Both genera are native to the Indian subcontinent and Indonesia."

Cardamom...hmmm. Reminds me of a hotel that used to serve bread with lots of cumin. Though fresh bread by itself can be wonderful. But that cumin flavor added...loved it. Even better dipped in a little olive oil.

Cinnamon is also a nice addition to waffles (which I don't put sugar in).

@Judge, with your example of adding cumin and olive oil to bread, here's a situation where the flavours actually correlate with nutrition - both cumin and olive oil contain valuable nutrients that aren't contained in bread alone. In this case the pleasurable flavours correlate with good nutrition because all three items - good bread, cumin, olive oil - are natural foods that have been eaten for millennia, not fakeries from the factories that have been on the increase since the 1960s.

The problem with the fakeries is that they destroy the connection between flavour markers and actual nutrition. For example, these days, raspberry flavour does not mean raspberries and their associated vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fibre, and plethora of other beneficial substances useful for physical health. It often just means a synthetic flavour marker paired with a low-nutrition carrier that is sold as "food"... like "raspberry" "yoghurt" - or "raspberry" cordial...

New Threads

Top Bottom