• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Opinion - Greta Thunberg ~ Autistamatic

There are enormous monied interests against action on, or even acknowledgment of, climate change. Hence a lot of the mudslinging. As for Greta and her motivation, if she has a functioning brain this is a fight for survival. If the planet goes, so do we, and she's too young to count on dying first.

Helen Keller was also a radical thinker. The weird thing is, Keller's detractors didn't get into all the ad hominem mudslinging that Greta endures.

Strange, in my grade 7 class kids still told Helen Keller jokes that were derogatory in nature. I'm sure they didn't make them up and they had been around for years; likely passed down through generations. They were as distasteful as any comment about Greta. (Well, maybe not that distasteful)

That is entirely possible but it still doesn't give others the right to use her to further their agenda. It took a larger carbon footprint to make the materials for that boat (not to mention the petroleum products used in the process) than it would have to fly her over here.

Why do you think someone is using her to "further an agenda"? Is it so impossible for you to think that it is she who has an agenda and she who pushes it forwards?

Second of all, that's not very honest calculating. If you are going to count the materials that it takes to make a boat, you need to count the materials it takes to make a plane. Not that it matters, because her whole point is to change the system and not our individual lifestyles. You can't be green in modern society, that is her very point.

I see some people using Greta's difficulty answering questions at a press conference as a reason to call her a puppet etc.

My understanding of autism is that it is a common trait to have difficulty speaking "off the cuff" and many on the spectrum use "scripts" just to make phone calls!

Second of all, that's not very honest calculating. If you are going to count the materials that it takes to make a boat, you need to count the materials it takes to make a plane.
Okay how about we calculate in the cost of the aircraft that the crew who flew over to take the boat back and the aircraft that flew the others back from here. Is that honest enough calculating for you? Also the carbon fiber is not recyclable whereas the metal alloys in a plane are.

Last edited:
@AGXStarseed I'll just say one thing (great video!), is that when you are young you don't realize how complex the world really is... To make the changes they want isn't as simple as they might think... And I've heard of many people working quietly behind the scenes (without alarmism) to deal with this issue

Last edited:
Can’t stand her. Her opinions and views are not reality or realistic.

I am an aviation enthusiast and did not take kindly to her comments about aviation. How does she expect people to travel to places quickly? What about those of us who live on islands, does she expect us to take a boat everywhere? What if we want to go on a short break? Will we spend most of the time travelling to the destination?

I fly a lot. If planes were replaced with boats, that travelling would have to be cancelled and would become a major pain. A simple trip to London would be a 12 hour journey, a two week break to the Algarve would become a three week break with a week of travelling and a months trip to America would become two months with a gruelling 14 days at sea! Please no..

This woman is embarrassing for our condition.

1) Greta is a POLITICAL person, what she does is POLITICS. So I wonder why there are so many topics about her OUTSIDE of the political section? I noticed the political section can be hidden in settings here. That's actually very splendid idea! It seems the owners of these forums know that politics is a sensitive thing and some autistic people would love to avoid it, so they made optional posibility to hidden it. Great! I've hidden it because I am tired of Trump, Brexit and all these things.

YET here are many people who obviously don't respect it and push politics outside of politic section.

Why? Because...

2) Greta uses her autism (and other things) for her political agenta. You are forced to agree with her eco-politics. If not, you're bad person! And you are hater! And you hate her just because she is 16 and she has an autism! And you hate the environment and you want to see it destroyed! Not because you simply... disagree with what she says.

3) Now because of her lots of people seem to hate autistic people. People start talking about it more. That could be a good thing, but they talking about it in a negative way. "Autistism is a serious mental ilness! People with it needs to be put in some cage! Reee!" Also Greta's mother said that "Greta is capable of seeing CO2 because of her autism" and "Just because of her autism, she understands how Climate change is important" and so on - so she doesn't spread the knowledge about autism, she does the opposite - she makes people believe we are some sort of crazy people who have to take a boat and sail across the ocean and we can see CO2 molecules with our autistic eyes floating in the air. Now I have to start again to explain some people around that autism is not "being crazy".

4) I am totally disappointed the opposite opinion on Greta is not rspected. For example on Reddit.com all autism subreddits became the echo-chambers of Greta.

If you say "I disagree with Greta politics and her opinions and I don't support her regulations and taxations", you say it kindly, without any insults, attacks and rudeness, you're still heavily downvoted and hated by everyone. If this forum would allow users to downvote or dislike the posts, I think this one would be too... heavily downvoted.

And that's pretty sad and upsetting... I mean in general, this "mindset" of "the only correct opinion"

Like really, what is happening with our society? Are we still live in the world where I can have my own opinion or someone will throw a milkshake on me for having it?

Last edited:
I agree with you 100%. The same thing is happening here in the UK with Brexit. Where we have Remainers trying to stop Brexit and the “evil” Boris and then MP’s wheeling out arguments about the “abuse” they are receiving. They all now want an extension to “get a deal” but we of course know that is to delay Brexit further. :mad:

Of course if you disagree with these people or suggest simply going with no deal you are accused of being racist and misogynistic and wanting to destroy the country!

Can’t stand her. Her opinions and views are not reality or realistic.

I am an aviation enthusiast and did not take kindly to her comments about aviation. How does she expect people to travel to places quickly? What about those of us who live on islands, does she expect us to take a boat everywhere? What if we want to go on a short break? Will we spend most of the time travelling to the destination?

I fly a lot. If planes were replaced with boats, that travelling would have to be cancelled and would become a major pain. A simple trip to London would be a 12 hour journey, a two week break to the Algarve would become a three week break with a week of travelling and a months trip to America would become two months with a gruelling 14 days at sea! Please no..

This woman is embarrassing for our condition.

Apart from the fact that climate change is probably her "special interest" I don't think Greta Thunberg's autism is relevant to the climate change issue. Greta herself has said to listen to the experts.

While you may be an "aviation enthusiast", have you considered the necessity for such extensive travel?
People don't "need" to go on multiple foreign trips each year, before cheap airlines came along most people couldn't even afford to travel by plane even if they wanted to.
There are now people who spend hours travelling on planes just to sit around a pool drinking all day.

It's my view that with technology a lot of business travel is now no longer necessary either.

Do we "need" to travel as much, let alone travel "quickly"

Food is flown around the world, just so we can eat foods out of season, we managed to survive without it before we can again.

Keep flying, just don't claim it has no effect on the environment, it does, and don't use it as an excuse to do nothing.

If anything in the simplest of terms I can appreciate Greta's presence just to show so many people that being autistic doesn't mean being functionally impaired or incapable of doing some great things.

I would prefer the world know that having impaired functioning is not a state of being incapable of doing anything and that having impaired functioning doesn’t automatically mean you can’t accomplish great things.

I would prefer the world know that having impaired functioning is not a state of being incapable of doing anything and that having impaired functioning doesn’t automatically mean you can’t accomplish great things.

In a perfect world of overwhelming numbers of NTs who would both attempt to understand and objectively embrace Neurodiversity I would agree. However is this the neurological reality of the situation?

- Sadly, no at this time, IMO. That there are a few who will attempt to understand Neurodiversity and succeed. More who will attempt such an understanding and fail. And that the remaining neurological majority will likely default to an expectation or demand that we conform to their thought processes.

I'm just glad that media focus on Thunberg primarily appears to be on climate change rather than her autism. But then most of this is really about how politically contentious the two sides are relative to climate change- for or against. Where disparaging her over her political position becomes paramount compared to her neurology. Just as a few posters seem to be demonstrating in this thread.

So I anticipate that the discussion be returned to the issue in a neurological sense, or that this thread is moved to the political section of this forum for those who are so vehemently for or against the issue of climate change.

Last edited:
Apart from the fact that climate change is probably her "special interest" I don't think Greta Thunberg's autism is relevant to the climate change issue. Greta herself has said to listen to the experts.

While you may be an "aviation enthusiast", have you considered the necessity for such extensive travel?
People don't "need" to go on multiple foreign trips each year, before cheap airlines came along most people couldn't even afford to travel by plane even if they wanted to.
There are now people who spend hours travelling on planes just to sit around a pool drinking all day.

It's my view that with technology a lot of business travel is now no longer necessary either.

Do we "need" to travel as much, let alone travel "quickly"

Food is flown around the world, just so we can eat foods out of season, we managed to survive without it before we can again.

Keep flying, just don't claim it has no effect on the environment, it does, and don't use it as an excuse to do nothing.

Yes we do and should do. Flying is a hobby and an interest of mines. I will not stop it for anyone.

When I'm a bit down on humanity,

I sometimes boil the kettle.

Not because I want a cup of tea,but because I know boiling the kettle for no reason helps propel humanity towards its inevitable doom.

Most Americans have cold tea, so they're eco warriors without even realising.

As an aside,American kettles take an age to boil.
I'm assuming because of the lower voltage and AC system compared to the UK.
Ironically the whole country is at perpetual boiling point at the moment,so we can all just boil water with anger.

REMINDER: For Political commentary, please use Politics Discussion

The theme of this thread, as presented in the first post>>
"Whether you agree with her stance on climate change or not,
the comments that are made to derail her because she is autistic, young, female etc.
have been distasteful to say the least
."

Please direct further replies toward that end.

New Threads

Top Bottom