• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Opinion - Greta Thunberg ~ Autistamatic

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
There's been some nasty things said about Greta Thunberg. Whether you agree with her stance on climate change or not, the comments that are made to derail her because she is autistic, young, female etc. have been distasteful to say the least. This hit a peak this weekend when a short video of her. clearly uncomfortable and facially stimming on her arrival in America, was posted all over social media as evidence of how "disturbed" she is.
That was responded to today with an outpouring of support using the hashtag she herself quoted of #aspiepower.

This is Autistamatic's take on the importance of Greta's autism to the debate.

@Autistamatic It's disturbing how obsessed some people are (with the aspergers thing) and while I feel happy that there are people like Greta around who push forward, are open about their autism and, quite likely, are changing things for the rest of us, I don't know if I could do it.

Seeing the great work she does makes me so proud for her and so happy someone cares about the environment. But seeing what people do to her makes me distrust people generally and it makes me afraid tbh.

Back to videos @Autistamatic - I've watched a few of yours and liked every one of them.

I have no problem with Greta, My problem is with the people who use a child (Any child) to push any agenda. I would recommend the following video to everyone on both sides of the argument.

Now I've gone and checked the news which I should never have done. People seem to be in three camps - supportive, supportive of Greta by turning on her parents, or making fun of Greta. It sounds to me like a lot of people believe if you are anxious and/or stimming you should stay indoors, away from the public eye. :/

Greta Thunberg - Wikipedia
"In August 2018, at the age of 15, Thunberg took time off school to demonstrate outside the Swedish parliament holding up a sign calling for bold climate action.

Her mother, Malena Ernman, is a Swedish opera singer and her father is actor Svante Thunberg

Thunberg says she first heard about climate change in 2011, when she was 8 years old, and could not understand why so little was being done about it.[10] Three years later she became depressed and stopped talking, and was eventually diagnosed with Asperger syndrome,[11] obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD),[11] and selective mutism.[11] For about two years, Thunberg challenged her parents to lower the family's carbon footprint by becoming vegan and giving up flying, which in part meant her mother had to give up her international career as an opera singer.[8][12] Thunberg credits her parents eventual response and life-style changes with giving her hope and belief that she could make a difference."

I have no problem with Greta, My problem is with the people who use a child (Any child) to push any agenda. I would recommend the following video to everyone on both sides of the argument.
You don't think it's possible the drive comes from the child in this case?

I just found out about her today. What a wonderful person, doing great things. Yet a national party leader here in Canada called her mentally unstable today. What a world we live in where people like us are called mentally unstable.

You don't think it's possible the drive comes from the child in this case?
That is entirely possible but it still doesn't give others the right to use her to further their agenda. It took a larger carbon footprint to make the materials for that boat (not to mention the petroleum products used in the process) than it would have to fly her over here.

There's been some nasty things said about Greta Thunberg. Whether you agree with her stance on climate change or not, the comments that are made to derail her because she is autistic, young, female etc. have been distasteful to say the least.

Unfortunately this is one of the most polarizing issues in a number of countries. A classic example of where her opponents "take no prisoners". Ready to malign her for being autistic only in the name of a cause.

Those who are so ready to "throw mud" at her without compassion. But then I think Helen Keller would have been maligned much in the same manner had she taken up such a cause as well.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what to make of Greta. On the one hand, it's good that she's is raising awareness (although it's a bit wide of the mark to claim that no-one was active in this field before her). On the other hand I don't see why the fact that she has Asperger's in and of itself makes her a source of authority. In one of her interviews she claimed that her Asperger's made her able to see through lies. That's a rather sweeping statement. If that were true of all autistics none of them would ever fall for con artists or end up in abusive relationships.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Greta. On the one hand, it's good that she's is raising awareness (although it's a bit wide of the mark to claim that no-one was active in this field before her). On the other hand I don't see why the fact that she has Asperger's in and of itself makes her a source of authority. In one of her interviews she claimed that her Asperger's made her able to see through lies. That's a rather sweeping statement. If that were true of all autistics none of them would ever fall for con artists or end up in abusive relationships.

Not every person on the spectrum is gullible or naive...or lacks executive function. We're quite a mixed lot when it comes to traits and behaviors. We can't collectively be defined one way or another in a cookie-cutter fashion.

She may have meant that to be exclusive to her own autism, and not necessarily that of others. With regards how the Neurotypical world may interpret such a thing, we simply have no control over their perception no matter what is said or implied.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is one of the most polarizing issues in a number of countries. A classic example of where her opponents "take no prisoners". Ready to malign her for being autistic only in the name of a cause.

Those who are so ready to "throw mud" at her without compassion. But then I think Helen Keller would have been maligned much in the same manner had she taken up such a cause as well.

Helen Keller was also a radical thinker. The weird thing is, Keller's detractors didn't get into all the ad hominem mudslinging that Greta endures.

Helen Keller was also a radical thinker. The weird thing is, Keller's detractors didn't get into all the ad hominem mudslinging that Greta endures.

True, but then that was in a very different era. Though I can think of a few persecuted celebrities who might disagree with me if they were still alive.

Last edited:
Thank you! I love this video. I really value how much energy you put into being positive and supportive of others. It is inspiring, and so is your description of Greta and her story. Beachy
There's been some nasty things said about Greta Thunberg. Whether you agree with her stance on climate change or not, the comments that are made to derail her because she is autistic, young, female etc. have been distasteful to say the least. This hit a peak this weekend when a short video of her. clearly uncomfortable and facially stimming on her arrival in America, was posted all over social media as evidence of how "disturbed" she is.
That was responded to today with an outpouring of support using the hashtag she herself quoted of #aspiepower.

This is Autistamatic's take on the importance of Greta's autism to the debate.

I admire her tenacity and strength, for someone so young. It's her world that will be affected by decisions made now.

Regardless what you think of Greta's message, you have to admire her for handling her celebrity so well for somebody who has the limitations she does. I know a lot of us here simply couldn't do it.

Detractors will always look for weak spots in a person who advocates a cause, particularly by those people who don't believe the cause to be important or worth hearing about. That should be no surprise to anyone. Greta is very young, but that helps her win favor with those who understand that young people's voices represent the innocence and purity of an untainted existence. Though she is dedicated to a cause, I believe that more people would wish that she had some kind of scientific eduction to back up her dedication and expertise on the matter. Greta is the first international "poster child" for a cause such as climate change. She is a real-life figure head to raise and develop awareness of an issue that most of us know is of grave importance. Her stance and her public profile is valuable to the cause. She is a person around whom people can rally to maintain efforts toward dealing with climate change issues. Movements without leadership become mob rule with splinter groups that ultimately become political in nature. Focus gets lost and causes get hijacked by those wishing to capitalize on the popularity of a cause, then sponsorship and political agendas come rushing in to reap the benefits.

Everyone on this forum can understand what the role of Aspergers might play in her quest. I believe she is honest and dedicated in an upstanding way. If Aspergers is responsible for her honesty and dedication, then so be it. Dedication has never been seen as a negative quality, and honesty for the sake of honesty means that you aren't hiding some alternative agenda. This is not a bad way to set the ground rules for a cause.

Effective change in the global warming crisis is a task that few, if any, people can grasp, even if you had 100% cooperation from all the citizens of the world. We are so engrained in the items and services afforded us by our use of pollutants, that steps to correct our polluting ways barely scratch the surface of an issue that is stronger than any steps taken by humanity. Some people are expecting instant results from any effort to reduce the carbon footprints we leave day in and day out. We are still not advanced enough scientifically to find a workable solution without disrupting every facet of everyone's life. The smallest of disruptions can cause horrific damage to people, communities, and economies. The solutions to our destruction of the environment will incur long-term change, implemented by alternative means of manufacturing and distribution of food and goods. This can't happen all at once. Then again, why would we throw away all of the advances we have made in science, engineering, and chemistry, purposefully designed to enhance the quality of human lives. I see these problems as more difficult than a blind person navigating a 200-square-mile maze. The issues are huge and intricately integrated. We can't emphasize enough the complexity of any solutions. But, we have identified the cause and we have a figurehead to get a movement going.

For all of the scientists telling us how and why our planet is melting, nobody is giving us a workable solution based on science. All we know is to "stop" doing all the things we do. The damage we have caused throughout or history is rolling out a chain reaction that we somehow believe we can control. Telling people "No more fires" and "No more cows" is ridiculous.

Greta Thunberg's role is more symbolic than practical, but the symbolic value of her cause spreads awareness. She is not a politician, and she doesn't pretend to be a saint heralding the arrival of a savior. She is a real person who has latched on to a cause. Her symbolic value keeps the issues in the forefront. She is on a very long road and her dedication is admirable. To maintain her status, she needs the guidance and support of established institutions who can fund the excursions and coordinate her visits to world leaders to bring the powers that be into her camp. We need to give her a chance. She is one person doing what she can do for a worthy cause. She has our attention and she has our admiration. I happen to like the fact that she is one of us.

If anything in the simplest of terms I can appreciate Greta's presence just to show so many people that being autistic doesn't mean being functionally impaired or incapable of doing some great things.

New Threads

Top Bottom