• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism traits could be 'edited' out genetic trial suggests

It's not often that I tick "agree" with almost all of the responses within a given discussion thread, but yes, this is absolutely horrendous, for many reasons, reasons I don't need to go into here.
I like to think people are a little more sophisticated, when it comes to their cognitive and other mental abilities, than mice (of all things), and why the hell are they concentrating on, and trying so hard, to "eliminate autism"? I mean, surely they must have better priorities. You know, like finding what it is that turns people into sociopaths (or nosy gossips). How about we find a "cure" for behaviour that is illogical and emotion-based? Too many people, many in positions of power and influence, base important decisions upon silly things like "hunches" and how they "feel". We should support research into finding the "gene" that causes such unproductive behaviour, and do away with people who just cause destruction wherever they go.
How much do you wanna bet that, when challenged about this research of theirs, they will use the Almighty $ as a justification? "But just think of all of those otherwise unproductive members of society we will no longer have? There will not be any more useless dreamers, useless eaters sponging off the government. Our welfare bill will shrink dramatically!" This is sickening beyond belief. We really DO need a planet of our own. Let's call it... Vulcan. Yes, that will do.

I wouldn't trade the positive traits of autism for anything. I'd rather die than be an NT.

Strangely enough, I'm starting to think this way myself. NT's just drive me up the proverbial wall these days! Why are so many of them so exasperating!? I've tried to understand their (from my view, psychotic) behaviour, but I haven't had much luck. Maybe I should just avoid them as much as possible, but there are just so many of them!!

Also repetitive behaviour definitely isn't a big deal, it's not harming anyone and if someone wants to be repetitive then so what?

Exactly! That's what I don't understand about this depressing story. Why are they trying so hard to eliminate a manifestation of autism? Repetitive behaviour isn't, in and of itself, an issue for anyone. Or at least it shouldn't be!

...and "The Big Bang Theory".
Is there autism in "Big Bang Theory?" Mind you, I have never watched an entire episode, but the bits I did see gave me the impression of nerds/geeks. I find humor based on stupidity to be not the least bit funny. Nothing clever, just stereotypes exaggerated to (and past) the point of absurdity.

Is there autism in "Big Bang Theory?" Mind you, I have never watched an entire episode, but the bits I did see gave me the impression of nerds/geeks. I find humor based on stupidity to be not the least bit funny. Nothing clever, just stereotypes exaggerated to (and past) the point of absurdity.

Jim Parsons thinks he's playing an autistic man, but to be sure I guess he'd have to go through an evaluation while in character.

Actually, Amy might be autistic, but I've never heard her actress even mention it.

Jim Parsons thinks he's playing an autistic man, but to be sure I guess he'd have to go through an evaluation while in character.

Actually, Amy might be autistic, but I've never heard her actress even mention it.
Actually, after I posted I looked it up. According to the producers (I am assuming they would be the ultimate authorities on the subject), Sheldon Cooper is not autistic and autism was never a part of character development, just so hyper intelligent(?) that he cannot relate to ordinary people.

Actually, after I posted I looked it up. According to the producers (I am assuming they would be the ultimate authorities on the subject), Sheldon Cooper is not autistic and autism was never a part of character development, just so hyper intelligent(?) that he cannot relate to ordinary people.

Well, that must have been years ago, beause there are scenes that are clearly intended as autistic character development.

Well, that must have been years ago, beause there are scenes that are clearly intended as autistic character development.

It makes sense for them to never claim he has a specific disorder or condition. That gives the writers the freedom to write what is funny and omit what isn't. I'm sure Sheldon is "inspired by" several different real situations, and some may include ASD.

I am a bit confused as to how gene-editing in an adult specimen can affect a condition that occurs during prenatal development.

If autism stems from the infrastructure of the brain, then I don't see how gene-editing can change existing neural pathways. If a small part of autism - or a symptom comorbid with autism - comes from a chemical imbalance, then maybe gene editing may alleviate that.

They may have dampened one symptom, but that doesn't mean that they can "cure" autism. I always wonder if it's the researchers or the press that grossly overexaggerate the results of the research.

I am a bit confused as to how gene-editing in an adult specimen can affect a condition that occurs during prenatal development.

If autism stems from the infrastructure of the brain, then I don't see how gene-editing can change existing neural pathways. If a small part of autism - or a symptom comorbid with autism - comes from a chemical imbalance, then maybe gene editing may alleviate that.

They may have dampened one symptom, but that doesn't mean that they can "cure" autism. I always wonder if it's the researchers or the press that grossly overexaggerate the results of the research.
Agreed; once a gene has been expressed in an organism, gene therapy is probably useless. Treatment would require the replacement of every cell that has to do with the problem. How do you replace a persons brain and keep the person?

I suspect the (unbelievably ignorant) press has a lot to do with the problem. I remember some years back a study revealed a slightly higher level of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's patients. The study authors cautioned not to draw any conclusions from this. The next day nearly every newspaper in the country had a front page headline "ALUMINUM CAUSES ALZHEIMER'S!!" Aluminum cookware was thrown out by the ton. There was talk of banning aluminum soda cans. It turned out that the aluminum was a symptom caused by the Alzhiemer's, and had nothing to do with the cause of the condition. The newspapers were almost unanimously silent about this. Go figure.

If they get rid of our repetitive behavior, there goes a million job opportunities that involve repetition. After my stims are gone, leaving me no way to deal with sensory input, body language will still mean very little to me.

If it doesn't make you happy, how are you even interested? Any of my so-called special interests, i.e. just interests that get my natural intense focus, are interesting because learning about them makes me happy.

We have to include people with low motoric abilities. Eliminate functioning labels. They're all about the ability to "pass" for neurotypical anyway. Communication can be done in many ways.

It's called depression and a general apathy for life.
They don't make me happy like they used to because this is all life is.
I seldom interact with my interests anymore, it they are interests at all.
Nothing really makes me happy these days.

I can understand the idea that you want a better life for your future kids, which is the reason why I don't want kids (it isn't Autism-related, it's more sociopolitical and environmental).

However, with the pharmaceutical companies drive for profits combined the overzealous prescription of drugs this will do more harm to our community than good. We are seen as a problem that needs a solution, and they are profiting off of fear and misinformation. Ultimately this is an attempt to make us fit into a non-existent society where NTs say "this is who you need to be" rather than acknowledging the reality that society is so much more diverse and embracing that fact.

I hate the "wanna be normal? Take a pill!" mindset that our society has, while showing us commercials that depict a sanitized upper-class version of reality.

If I could take a pill or something to function more normally I would.

So you'd take a pill for depression?

No those have some messed up side effects and don't always even work.
Depression I can manage, it's a hell of a lot easier then aspergers, if that was all I had I'd be fine.

No those have some messed up side effects and don't always even work.
Depression I can manage, it's a hell of a lot easier then aspergers, if that was all I had I'd be fine.

I wonder what side-effects that lose-your-neurotype pill will have. Probably some completely horrifying ones.

I wonder what side-effects that lose-your-neurotype pill will have. Probably some completely horrifying ones.

I'd take those risks.
I don't care if I lost my knowledge of random topics, my interest in writing or wargames or any of the other crap I surround myself with.
This isn't a good way to live. I don't enjoy any of it.

I'd take those risks.
I don't care if I lost my knowledge of random topics, my interest in writing or wargames or any of the other crap I surround myself with.
This isn't a good way to live. I don't enjoy any of it.

So change it. Potential first step: learn to correctly attribute accountability where it belongs.

You would lose your focus and creativity, and that's not even a side-effect, that is exactly what this pill aims to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom