• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism traits could be 'edited' out genetic trial suggests

So change it. Potential first step: learn to correctly attribute accountability where it belongs.

You would lose your focus and creativity, and that's not even a side-effect, that is exactly what this pill aims to do.

I don't care about my focus and creativity.
Small price to pay.

I'm sorry, but if they do that, we aspies will turn into giant mutant creatures who will take over Chicago, and they'll have to hire a zoologist played by The Rock to stop us!

Have these mad scientists not seen Rampage?

But seriously though, don't be editing out my personality traits and call it a good thing.

The world needs folks like us. Consider Downs Syndrome. Drs in Iceland are trying to force all women who may be carrying babies with Downs Syndrome to have abortions.

Can you imagine a world where the bright, shining faces of people with Downs Syndrome no longer exist, with their open kindness, and infectious smiles? Where all of them were aborted?

Neurodiversity is the spice of life. I don't want there to be one supreme master race of genetically perfect people in the future.

How about inclusion and love. I don't need to be edited. I'm fine just the way I was made with my weird brain. So what if I walk with a cane and have a muffin top. So what if I have freckles.

Don't edit out our variety! It teaches us compassion and acceptance.

Does it also “cure” perfect pitch, eidetic memory, a reading speed that’s about 3 times “normal”, or the ability to compose music at the age of 5?

I have my doubts that this could work. Once the brain reaches adulthood, the level to which it would need to be re-wired is such that this probably can't do a whole lot. The problem is the connections are made. How they fit together is constructed by genes. However, once it's together, that's it.

So I don't think it would work.

But still, it's possible. To that extent, it is one of those glimmers of hope.

I am sure the condition cannot be cured by any kind of medication or anything. It has to be a cellular-level rebuilding of the brain. This does offer some kind of hope.

When I read something like this, I feel better, because I think the future does indeed offer some kind of hope. THere may one day be something.

Does it also “cure” perfect pitch, eidetic memory, a reading speed that’s about 3 times “normal”, or the ability to compose music at the age of 5?

None of which are autistic traits, or mentioned anywhere in the article.

As an eidetic autie, care to elaborate on that statement?

I'm willing to learn.

The original post refers to an article which suggests “autism traits could be edited out.”

An eidetic memory is not mentioned as a common trait of autism on the GP’s autism check list which I imagine it would be if it was a trait -

A checklist for GPs (adults)
Questions to consider when talking to adult patients who may be on the autism spectrum.

Do they:

• find many social situations and interactions, especially in groups, confusing (even though he or she may seem okay one-to-one with a doctor)?
  • often find it hard to guess what other people are thinking and feeling, or why they are laughing at a joke?
  • find it difficult to make and maintain close friendships?
  • have a history or problems at school/college, such as difficulties getting on with tutors or other pupils/students? Was he or she teased or bullied?
  • find it difficult to find satisfactory employment or stay in work?
  • have any hobbies or interests which take up a lot of their time (or had these when they were younger)?
  • get worried or annoyed about changes, especially unexpected ones?
  • display difficulties with communication and appear to lack social intuition?
  • have trouble making 'appropriate' conversation?
  • seem pedantic?
  • have difficulty making or maintaining eye contact?
  • have a need for routines?
  • experience over or under-sensitivity to sounds, touch, sights, smells and tastes?
If the answer the most of these questions is 'yes', and your patient wishes to be assessed, it may be worthwhile discussing their case with your local services/health services with responsibility for autism (usually mental health or learning disability services).

Does that mean that some autistic people don’t have an eidetic memory? No, of course not but it’s not exclusive to people on the spectrum either, there are also neurotypical people who have an eidetic memory. If an eidetic memory were a trait of autism, assuming trait to mean ‘a characteristic feature or quality distinguishing a particular person or thing’ it should surly be mentioned in a GP’s checklist wouldn’t you think? It would also be mentioned in the DSM too as an indicator of autism.

They correlate with autism, though. Autistic kids are much more likely to have perfect pitch, for example.

That's news to me. I don't suppose you could back up that claim with... oh I don't know - evidence of some kind? This may be kind of off-topic, but it really annoys me how often positive 'role-models' who are now dead (ex. famous scientists, brilliant musicians) are often alleged to have been "on the spectrum", but modern-day mass-murderers who showed all the signs of being autistic (ex. Elliot Rodger, the YouTube shooter) are just conveniently ignored. Isn't it about time we all acknowledged that being this way isn't really all that great, that we aren't angels without sin, and that we can be just as depraved, cruel and psychopathic as anyone else alive? Ex: myself. When I was very young I was an out of control, prone to meltdown, deranged brat. Foul-mouthed too. I once tried to flush a cat down a toilet, because I thought it would be fun. I once threw a brick at my brother's head. I'm just thankful I didn't end up being institutionalised, or in prison.

Edit: What I'm basically trying to say here is that, when it comes to things like autism and Asperger's Syndrome, we need to be level-headed, dispassionate, objective and honest. I'm not an advocate of those who want to "cure" us, but being this way is often more trouble than anything else, I have to admit. I often miss not having permanent, stable employment, for example. It's often just too damned frustrating.

Last edited:
I honestly doubt they will get anywhere. It's part of who we are. It's like saying there is a cure for excessively jolly and optimistic people. Which I suppose wouldn't be terrible. I hate the perpetually jolly and optimistic type.

However, I firmly believe that a cure for neurotypicals is much closer. A simple hormone suppressant would do the trick. I'm thinking aerial delivery...
They definitely left in your humor DNA and it made me laugh.

I realize this may change for me, but I’m at a point where all of this hasn’t presented itself as a clear “gift” yet. The struggle feels real, so I don’t know how my story will go but at this point I’d take the sci fi gamble, go back in time and undo any ASD from my DNA. Would you? Or choose to do aspects from it? I might lose my musical ability, or my deep empathy. But the other things... I think I want to deal less with.
++MUCH RESPECT and admiration to those who have found peace, coping skills and acceptance... and to those who Thrive with ASD and wouldn’t want it any other way!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom