• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism traits could be 'edited' out genetic trial suggests

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

161542328_ap_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqDAoCN0zt2fIWNcwvVaupU0NlI9CvHwHxTzzUvILtCk0.jpg

The study on mice used gold nanoparticles to target genes causing repetitive behaviour CREDIT: SOLOMON BANDA

Autism traits may be “edited” out using new genetic techniques, scientists have said, following a successful trial.

Researchers are hailing a breakthrough after they used cutting-edge gene editing to to significantly reduce repetitive behaviour associated with the disorder.

The technique, which was performed on mice, could also be developed to treat conditions ranging from opioid addiction and neuropathic pain to schizophrenia and epileptic seizures.

Scientists injected gold nanoparticles covered in a “forest” of DNA chains to alter the the genetic code of mouse models with a form of autism called fragile X syndrome (FXS).

The technique, CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing, resulted in in a 30 per cent drop in repetitive digging, and a 70 reduction in leaping, both indicative of autistic behaviour.

Because the editing DNA was introduced attached to gold particles, the team were able to control how much of the crucial Cas9 protein was delivered, in contrast to previous failed attempts using viruses.

"There are no treatments or cures for autism yet, and many of the clinical trials of small-molecule treatments targeting proteins that cause autism have failed," said study leader Hye Young Lee, an assistant professor of cellular and integrative physiology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

"This is the first case where we were able to edit a causal gene for autism in the brain and show rescue of the behavioral symptoms."

Autism spectrum disorder is a complex developmental disorder, with a strong genetic component, which manifests during childhood.

It is characterised by deficits in the domain of social interaction and communication, stereotyped behaviour, delayed speech and language and can also be associated with intellectual disability.

There are around 700,000 people on the autism spectrum in the UK - more than one in 100 - and when including families, it is a part of daily life for 2.8 million people.

The results are published in the journal Nature Biomedical Engineering.

Source: Autism traits could be 'edited' out genetic trial suggests

i wouldn't want my children to have autism or schitzophrenia.

That's the thing nothing Bad is ever introduced as harmful, Its always introduced as helpful, Ie Euginetics even Hitlers solution, Besides the more extream examples you see every day, The TV commercials, if you took this med (the number one med 20 years ago) you are entitled to this settlement because it was found to cause all these crazy effects over the long-term, there are many more examples

Listen how much the advertising the coming driverless cars are tested so safe 100%, Anything that says otherwise is misinfo, Yea then when they started hitting the road they had to pull them off because of accidents

I honestly doubt they will get anywhere. It's part of who we are. It's like saying there is a cure for excessively jolly and optimistic people. Which I suppose wouldn't be terrible. I hate the perpetually jolly and optimistic type.

However, I firmly believe that a cure for neurotypicals is much closer. A simple hormone suppressant would do the trick. I'm thinking aerial delivery...

That's the thing nothing Bad is ever introduced as harmful, Its always introduced as helpful, Ie Euginetics even Hitlers solution, Besides the more extream examples you see every day, The TV commercials, if you took this med (the number one med 20 years ago) you are entitled to this settlement because it was found to cause all these crazy effects over the long-term, there are many more examples

Listen how much the advertising the coming driverless cars are tested so safe 100%, Anything that says otherwise is misinfo, Yea then when they started hitting the road they had to pull them off because of accidents

I simply don't want any future children to have to struggle like I did, like I do, maybe struggle worse.
Reading about the American Civil War as much as I do doesn't make things happy, it's not a fun life, and I know most people with autsim aren't happy with it.
And most of us aren't genius inventors or any such thing either.

As i said in an earlier thread, nearly the same subject, curing disease with genetics scares me silly.

Can they find a way to genetically induce traits in NTs like acceptance and tolerance?
A lack of those traits is not considered a disability or disease. In fact, in many cases those are considered desirable characteristics. No "cure" needed, doing so is a waste of time and money.

I would rather stay like this than become like them.

Would you have a choice if it came to your child? Or would all 'undesirables' need to be changed/exterminated?

As I said many times before, I wouldn't like to be anyone else but myself. Repetitions? Obsessions? It's a part of me, however troublesome or not.

What would the unanticipated side effects be of tampering with that gene? Assuming, of course, that those activities in mice are even remotely similar to human behavior.

Some things need to be edited out of existence. ASD isn't one of them.

A future where mediocrity isn't good enough? Sign me up! :emojiconfused:

I simply don't want any future children to have to struggle like I did, like I do, maybe struggle worse.

I can understand the idea that you want a better life for your future kids, which is the reason why I don't want kids (it isn't Autism-related, it's more sociopolitical and environmental).

However, with the pharmaceutical companies drive for profits combined the overzealous prescription of drugs this will do more harm to our community than good. We are seen as a problem that needs a solution, and they are profiting off of fear and misinformation. Ultimately this is an attempt to make us fit into a non-existent society where NTs say "this is who you need to be" rather than acknowledging the reality that society is so much more diverse and embracing that fact.

I hate the "wanna be normal? Take a pill!" mindset that our society has, while showing us commercials that depict a sanitized upper-class version of reality.

Last edited:
Can they find a way to genetically induce traits in NTs like acceptance and tolerance?
Yeah, good point. And why are they worrying about autism so much when we need to be eliminating hate, violence, fascism, racism, lots and lots of isms. Modify genes so people stop killing one another, enjoying violence and the pain and suffering of others. Modify genes to eliminate greed and corruption. Modify genes to keep people from just meanness in general, from inconsiderate behaviors, and the love of all things loud and crowded. Autism doesn't seem to be such a big problem compared to some other things.

New Threads

Top Bottom