• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Fashion

These are really nice shirts piney, quite nicely made. My husband wears something similar, and when he picks out something new they look retro like these. In photographs from childhood he has on clothing that looks exactly like what he wears now, except in a smaller size:cool:.

My sense of style has changed over time, used to wear comfortable but stylish clothing. No synthetics ever, cotton, linen and wool are all I purchase now. Cannot stand the sound synthetics make or the feel of the stuff on my skin, which reminds of the plastic netting that produce comes in.

I like well-made clothing, which fits properly.

Last edited:
Those are great shirts, and pretty in line with modern casual fashion, if what the "pretty people" are wearing on camera while being casual is any indication.

Thank you Mia .
These are mostly eBay finds over the years. I own several more than I shared here, I have not paid more than $50.00 for any lounge shirt that I own. There are new reproductions available, garbage made in China,etc.
I wear these with a pair of Dockers style pants and something similar to or Doc Martins. My own style that I have worn 30+ years....Most of the time I receive compliments, questions about the shirts. I also wear ribbon shirts occasionally. They are too expensive and to personal to wear often.
Is it not difficult to create your own style.

I wear clothes that are "too big" for me, apparently.
Makes it easier to put on more layers.

I really couldn't care less about trends n what is currently the latest look, to me it seriously is really, really silly. I like to wear what i think looks good n comfortable. I have my own ideas about what looks good and i trust myself more than people trying to sell me stuff. I was in a shop the other day and i saw all these T-shirts with giant brand names on them, and i was like, uh seriously they expect people to pay,( and pay a lot) to wear clothing with advertising all over them...blerghh.

I have been told that i dress well quite a few times, and it's just because i like certain colours and textures together.

If anyone is worried about what to wear and if it looks good or not just take notice of the world around you. If you see something that you think looks nice like a sunset or some cool architecture just whatever catches your eye as appealing, then make a mental note of the colours, textures things that you like about it try on your next clothes shopping trip to keep those images in mind. Whatever ya normally get that feels comfy etc look for that with qualities which remind you of the cool aesthetic stuff you have kept track of.
You should look great afterwards.

I don't want to see someone else wearing the same or similar shirt / style as me when I go out...
Mia is one the few to share that they or someone they know has similar taste as me.
There are others...These shirts can get very expensive on eBay. Those into rockabilly (like myself) favor this style.
Quality clothing seems to have no trend, it is a lasting style

I don't want to see someone else wearing the same or similar shirt / style as me when I go out...
Mia is one the few to share that they or someone they know has similar taste as me.
There are others...These shirts can get very expensive on eBay. Those into rockabilly (like myself) favor this style.
Quality clothing seems to have no trend, it is a lasting style

What kinda rockabilly are u into?

I've asked people for help with clothes shopping in the past, as I suspected this might be a significant factor to fitting in and I'm usually helpfully advised to 'find my own style' but, as style doesn't make sense to me, I ended up sticking with what I already had - black jeans and t-shirts several sizes too big for me.
Finally, four years ago, someone actually took me to some clothes shops, showed me the concept of sizes and helped me pick some matching outfits. They also pointed out how faded black clothes get after just a few months, let alone the years I was wearing stuff for (tip: wash jeans inside out and they keep their color longer!)
Since then I just kept replacing each worn article of clothing with the nearest thing I could find.
Now, I seem to have managed to develop a bit of social life on occasion, this last year or so and have discovered the incentive to observe the way others dress, what tops they wear with bottoms and foot wear.. and I've noticed similarities, patterns.. I'm not grasping fashion yet (I doubt I ever will as it changes too quickly and arbitrarily), but I'm now able to match more tops with bottoms and realise when I like an article of clothing and what it might match with.. so there's hope :)

If anyone is worried about what to wear and if it looks good or not just take notice of the world around you. If you see something that you think looks nice like a sunset or some cool architecture just whatever catches your eye as appealing, then make a mental note of the colours, textures things that you like about it try on your next clothes shopping trip to keep those images in mind. Whatever ya normally get that feels comfy etc look for that with qualities which remind you of the cool aesthetic stuff you have kept track of.
You should look great afterwards.

This is interesting, I know people get their inspiration from somewhere - I've seen that you can put together seasonal colors too, I've mostly been observing what women wear here as they seem to have access to a much greater and more interesting range of styles and colors than men.
Bit puzzled as to how to dress like a building though, but keeping my eyes open :)

My every day shorts.
shorts_collection_page_3_large.jpg

Everyday tops
victorias-secret-tank-tops.jpg

But, going out to be seen something more like this:
a16fecc39de59b15c72d0450aa4f8d11.jpg

Black an white is easy to coordinate, not too fussy but, looks sharp and put together. Not so flashy as to draw an audience but, enough to turn heads - exactly what is desirable and acceptable in most circles.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Johnny Cash was a great man, and fabulous performer, he was the second cousin of one of my uncles so, I met him a few times growing up. All of rock n roll owes Elvis a debt. I love Bil Haley, another great and, who could resist Carl Perkins style and stage presence?

Johnny Cash was a great man, and fabulous performer, he was the second cousin of one of my uncles so, I met him a few times growing up. All of rock n roll owes Elvis a debt. I love Bil Haley, another great and, who could resist Carl Perkins style and stage presence?

This is the man who most have forgotten ( if they ever knew of him and his influence)

Link Wray (Shawnee)
Rockabilly music artist and No. 45 of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time
He influenced Jeff Beck,Eric Clapton,Jimmy Page,Pete Townsend,Bob Dylan,Bruce Springsteen,Neil Young,Jerry Garcia,Roy Buchanan and 100's of other Guitar Greats. John Lennon and Keith Moon were Big Fans of "The Rumble Man".

I do like clothes and fashion, although I am not much for labels. I can take them or leave them. If I like something, I buy it. I do have many nice things in my wardrobe that I do not often wear. I can usually be found in something cute but comfortable. I tend to dress according to the occasion.

Last edited:
Same here Lecter1914.
I just see clothing as a piece to cover oneself. That said, I don't wear dresses since I was 5 -just for big events like weddings until I was 18-.
I prefer to just wear something comfortable (shirt, jeans, trainers mostly).
When I was in primary school I choose to wear mostly green colours (basically I didn't like the if you are a girl all pink and if a boy all blue so I choose other colour that didn't follow that criteria).
When I was a teen, I opted to combine: beige/white, red, black and started to wear more formal-like style.
I prefer to wear something that is more ''classic'' so I won't be forced by trendy rules to have to buy something new sooner, that's why I've been accused to wear very old-fashioned, but I'm comfortable that way.
Now I'm trying to at least try other styles see if I like them or not, but surely I'll keep beign mostly classic in my colours, textures and shapes.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a piece of fashion like a dress, I reckon some have a lot of work, craft and art, but I don't see myself wearing them. That's why for an upcoming wedding later this year, for the first time I've chosen to wear a formal/executive suit, I feel more comfortable that way, no matter who doesn't like it.

One thing that I have never understood.

When you go to church your supposed to wear your " Sunday's best", but then I'm told that vanity is a sin.o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom