• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Fashion

Fashion, like social prowess, is not something I attempt to do as I'd be self conscious and itchy. If I knew what to wear and how to do my hair, I'd probably stand out less, but at this point in my life it doesn't matter. Plus, I'm always getting paint all over my clothes.
The clothes I pick to wear are solid colors, soft, loose, except for jeans which for some reason I like to be tight, and they have to fit perfectly.
I really like excellent running shoes, of all sorts, and have a bunch of pairs, no other shoes. I wouldn't wear high heels even if someone paid me, plus, I'd be over 6' if I did. Too conspicuous.

Any color but orange. :eek:

I wouldn't wear an orange jumpsuit, but I have a couple of orange shirts that are favorites. They are kind of muted, though. Orange transitioning to rust is my favorite color.

I did have a dark blue short-sleeve jumpsuit that I used to wear when making pottery.

I wouldn't wear an orange jumpsuit, but I have a couple of orange shirts that are favorites. They are kind of muted, though. Orange transitioning to rust is my favorite color.

I did have a dark blue short-sleeve jumpsuit that I used to wear when making pottery.

It's a bit of a private joke to me. Not so much that prisoners wear that bright orange, but that an uncle and my father (professional military men) both had such military jumpsuits. Just wondering what color they're issued these days. Probably not orange.

Last edited:
I'm newly 45, and my mother still gripes about the way I dress: Too casual, too blandly, not tailored enough to flatter my figure, too young for my age. I'm something vaguely resembling an artist so I do have a sense of color and what does and doesn't go together/look good with my skin and hair, but for me clothes are only meant to cover my body appropriately for the temperature and be as comfortable as possible in the process. I'm short, so I avoid patterns. I don't like to stand out, so I prefer darker, more muted colors and shades. I'd rather do almost anything but shop for clothing, so I will buy several colors of one item if I find something I can tolerate. I prefer men's tops, like cotton t-shirts and henleys (the pullover shirts with three or four buttons at the top), which drive the other women in my family nuts. I tune out the criticisms now, but it really used to bother me when people told me I didn't dress very well. The way I see it, it's none of their business. My wardrobe reflects on nobody but me.

I was joking with Harrison that Aspies should have a clothing line like the American children's line Garanimals, with mix-and match pieces clearly identified as matching by tags with little animals on them. I doubt we have a fashion designer in our midst here, but if there is one, I propose this might be a money-maker!

I'm newly 45, and my mother still gripes about the way I dress: Too casual, too blandly, not tailored enough to flatter my figure, too young for my age. I'm something vaguely resembling an artist so I do have a sense of color and what does and doesn't go together/look good with my skin and hair, but for me clothes are only meant to cover my body appropriately for the temperature and be as comfortable as possible in the process. I'm short, so I avoid patterns. I don't like to stand out, so I prefer darker, more muted colors and shades. I'd rather do almost anything but shop for clothing, so I will buy several colors of one item if I find something I can tolerate. I prefer men's tops, like cotton t-shirts and henleys (the pullover shirts with three or four buttons at the top), which drive the other women in my family nuts. I tune out the criticisms now, but it really used to bother me when people told me I didn't dress very well. The way I see it, it's none of their business. My wardrobe reflects on nobody but me.

I was joking with Harrison that Aspies should have a clothing line like the American children's line Garanimals, with mix-and match pieces clearly identified as matching by tags with little animals on them. I doubt we have a fashion designer in our midst here, but if there is one, I propose this might be a money-maker!
Like AND Funny!!!! :D (& Agree as well :p)

I liked Jeff Goldblum's fashion sense in "The Fly". A closet full of the same suits.

Never wasted any brain power trying to determine what to wear each day. :p

Anything I wear is usually timeless/classic . I have read a lot of books on "elegance " . I can't be bothered with fashion trends, they expire anyway.

I don't even know if that is right .. Is this correct anyone ??

Ps. My favorite book is called elegance and I can't remember the authors name it's a very long French name .. I'm not very helpful with that ..

Also try how to be chic and elegant by Anne Marie Lecoeur

There are also Aspies whose special interests include fashion.
I think that might be me .. Expect I don't keep up with trends ? So that's not me ? I want to be timeless so I can be fashionable and chic forever ..

My favorite piece of jewelry I no longer own was a single strand pearl necklace . I wore it everywhere, everyday. I always looked polished & it was always appropriate.

I wear a uniform. I am also obsessed with Cayce Pollard from William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. Here's the passage in the book on her sense of fashion:

CPUs. Cayce Pollard Units. That's what Damien calls the clothing she wears. CPUs are either black, white, or gray, and ideally seem to have come into this world without human intervention.

What people take for relentless minimalism is a side effect of too much exposure to the reactor-cores of fashion. This has resulted in a remorseless paring-down of what she can and will wear. She is, literally, allergic to fashion. She can only tolerate things that could have been worn, to a general lack of comment, during any year between 1945 and 2000. She’s a design-free zone, a one-woman school of anti whose very austerity periodically threatens to spawn its own cult.​

The upshot: T-shirts, black jeans or skirts, a unisex jacket, and simple shoes. Tights or a sweater if she's cold. Boom, done.

I add scarves I like. :)

Functional and comfortable - always, but these can be exciting too. Jeans and a T-shirt with cowboy boots can be awesome. Put me in a dress and I squirm like an earthworm. Look around - do you think that the way most women dress is attractive? They look like cheap and chubby whores.

In my professional life I have been in charge of factories that painted products for the automotive industry and consumer products; consequently I have a fairly refined sense of color. So no matter how comfortable (or raggedy) I am dressed, I do not clash.

Fashion wise, I am almost totally indifferent to clothes. I am conscious of social conventions and requirements so I do dress quite well and appropriately for social gatherings and engagements. Outside of those events, I pay zero attention to dressing well.

My favorite fashion advice comes from an interview I read somewhere on-line a few years ago. A woman was being interviewed and asked to give her opinion on the Dollar Store. She replied' "I just love the Dollar store! Everything is one price and I can go there wearing whatever I have on. It's not like I was going to Wal-Mart."

I have never been into fashion and I cannot see the point to it. I am often told I am boring, solid typical basic colours and no sense of flare. i don`t care, i am comfortable in what I wear, I look nice and that`s all that worries me

If it's comfortable, I wear it. If it's not, I don't.

I only really wear jeans, t-shirt, and a jacket. And a hat. I get a lot of grief for going outside in hats when the weather is nice because the only hats I have are winter-y and people like to point out that I look ridiculous, but I don't care.

Miss Frumpy I was until I read the 'What Not To Wear' books. Goodbye patterns and loose-fitting clothes, hello solid colours. I would wear the same thing everyday if I could, but alas, I work. My stuff tends to be fitted but comfortable....and I wear the same shoes everyday until the season changes, then I wear a different pair of the same shoes, repeat. I do have dress shoes for when I feel like wearing a dress or skirt.

I try not to wear black, neutral, khaki or white. White isn't practical, and black makes me look sick and sallow. Unfortunately I have days when I don't pay sufficient attention to what I'm putting on, so the colours clash.

When I visit home, I'm Miss Frumpy again, cos my mother and sisters have a much better fashion sense than I, and so do my brothers.

My mother gripes about my dress sense, too.

Good quality clothes stay in style and last longer.
This is where an NT friend could help out...
I have created my own style...and as crazy as this sounds it works out well.
I wear quality vintage clothes...A company called Pike Brothers has a line of clothing from the mid century (Pike Brothers – Superior Garments . I wear lounge or bowling shirts from the mid 1950's and 1960's with vintage jeans and decent sneaks or boots....often I receive compliments regarding my clothes.
I wear golf shirts for work as a collar shirt is classier than a t shirt, I buy several shirts of 4 colors to keep decisions simple

Since I was a kid I only dressed in black clothes, and black only.
One time my mother got me a new jacket, it was very dark-blueish i color and there was bad lightning in the room when mom introduced it to me, so it looked black.

I wore the jacket to school but I didn't notice it at first until the end of that day when someone mentioned that I look great in different colors other than black.
I never wore that jacket ever again.

I never have been the type that follows fashion for the sake of fashion but that being said I do consider myself a girly girl who is also a geek,I love pink and purple and also red and blue a lot but I don't like things that are too figure hugging because I just don't feel good in it,but I own a lot t shirts with cartoon characters on it and i even got a dr who tardis dress,as a kid and young teenager I didn't care at all for what clothes I wore and use to walk around with tangled hair but later on payed more attention to it after the age of 14.

i dont follow the trends. they usually look really uncomfortable and busy to me. im the only girl i know that doesnt own yoga pants (i dont like the feeling of fabric clinging to my legs). as most people say, i usually just wear whats comfortable to me. i have never owned high heels (im 30). i only wear chucks, doc martens, flip flops and those moccasin type slippers. people usually congratulate me when i go out in jeans. when im at home i wear baggy, shapeless sweats/pjs. if i have to leave the house ill throw a bra on and put on a cleaner shirt (a "girl cut" shirt if i have to look nicer, a looser shirt for anything else).

lounge shirt 2.jpg
lounge shirt 3.jpg
lounge shirt 4.jpg

Lounge shirts that I wear, These are from the 1950's and 1960's

Attachments

• lounge shirt.jpg
    lounge shirt.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 183

New Threads

Top Bottom