• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Fashion

I am basically a programmer in an office building tools for managers and engineers. I don't interact with the public, of course I don't want to.

I think only people from the 80s that lived in the future used orange.

:D
i dont know if you remember [it might not have been available where you live] a brand called naf naf [or naff naff?]-but i was obsessed with a tshirt with a hood by them it was burnt orange colour i wore it all the time when iwas 10,and i wore it till i grew out of it.

im autie not aspie but i dont have any consideration for fashion whatsoever,i just wear jogging pants mainly as i only like comfy clothing and i wear a shirt [long sleeve rolled back or sleeveless], or sometimes a tshirt,i dont wear them for fashions sake ive always prefered the look,and i like them for chewing. i used to rip them apart to and buy them in bulk off ebay.

my favourite shirt has an american flag fish pattern all over it, im a huge fish fan as i own tropical fish,i dont care if people dont like it. i also sometimes wear my slippers to the shops because i hate the change and transition of changing to trainers.

and when im at home ill strip off totally because of my sensory issues with clothes although most support staff have been told not to let me do this and i have to at least where some bottoms,very frustrating as anyone who lives independantly in their own home wouldnt have issues with this.

Hi. I'm a newly discovered Aspy and so much makes sense. I do have one question to see if this is is common. I can't dress. Despite best intentions, I just have no fashion sense. Even when people help me shop, all I see is fabric on a hanger. CLothes don't stand out to me. All of the clothes I prefer to buy are generally the same (Apparently I'm a big fan of blue patterns and black and white tennis shoes). I personally just don't care, however I'm aware that everyone else does. I want to fit in and dress like everyone else, but it's just not in me. I was told that it is a bit of an Aspy thing to not care about things like that, but is that the case or am I just lazy and deficient?
I'm told by my sister that I dress funky. I like to dress in bright colors. But I think I can match pretty well without thinking too hard. I don't think I'm up to date in fashion stuff though. I generally dress like a boy, except for the pants, I'm a girl. Because boy clothes are more comfy for me and don't irritate me, sensory wise. Plus boys have awesome graphic tees and hoodies.

I personally have had a love-hate relationship with fashion. On one hand, I have an appreciation for the creativity of some fashion designers, but on the other hand, a lot of clothing that looks pretty doesn't fit my body type well. In fact, I have a hard time finding dresses because they usually don't factor in the different body proportions of different people.

I do enjoy picking out clothes to wear that I like, but I rarely am ever fashionable. My wardrobe is very colorful and I tend to wear clashing patterns with matching colors.

You must not have to work for a living, Mr Tesla. :)
Actually I kind of identify with him. I work for a living and I decided to have in my wardrobe the same t shirt I found comfortable (because the tag isnt on the back of my neck) and jeans. All five pairs for each workday in the same colour.

Over the weekends i have what my wife calls holey moleys. T shirts so worn out (yet comfortable) they have holes in them.

Once i have identified and incorporated specific clothes that fit my routine and need for consistency, I get multiples. I dont care if my co workers think I never change my t shirts because they're all the same colour.

I've always loved black and white outfits with a few splashes of colour. I've often been told that I'm very well dressed, though it's mainly because of my obsession with patterns and neatness. My absolute favourite thing to wear is a business suit, with or without the tie. There's just something about the perfect symmetry and the simple and sharp angles that I absolutely love.

I can remember in my teens trying to wear what all the girls my age wore and felt and looked ridiculous, so converted to type with baggy jeans, t-shirts and hoodies.

Now, I wear tight jeans and tank tops with a layering top over it, and leather boots, all of which tends to be black, dark blue (jeans only - don't like blue tops) or red.

I own 3 pairs of jeans and 3 or 4 tops, and one pair of boots and thats it... though I do have to start getting more new stuff, they're starting to get old now.

Basically, I don't really care all too much about how I dress... If I'm comfortable, I'm happy.

For the longest time I had no style at all, I just wore whatever was available. In more recent years, I've fallen in love with simple designs, v-necks and tight jeans. The colors should be bleak, not too saturated. And dark jackets are amazing.

I want to fit in and dress like everyone else, but it's just not in me. I was told that it is a bit of an Aspy thing to not care about things like that, but is that the case or am I just lazy and deficient?

I'm the exact opposite. I don't want to dress like everyone else, and it makes me laugh when you see groups of teen/twenties females (sometimes males but pretty much always females) in town all basically wearing slight variations on the exact same outfit. Usually it's whatever the latest trend is at the current moment.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy clothes from shops that most people use and generally there will be some things that are "on trend" that I'll buy, but only because I like them and they look alright on me, not because some magazine tells me that's what I should be wearing. I absolutely love skinny jeans, but when they first started to appear in the shops, I couldn't really wear them (in my opinion anyway) as I was over 20 stone. I had a gastric band fitted just over 3 years ago, and I've lost 8 stone...and I now live in skinny jeans :tearsofjoy:

Basically I wear whatever I feel comfortable in.

Hi. I'm a newly discovered Aspy and so much makes sense. I do have one question to see if this is is common. I can't dress. Despite best intentions, I just have no fashion sense. Even when people help me shop, all I see is fabric on a hanger. CLothes don't stand out to me. All of the clothes I prefer to buy are generally the same (Apparently I'm a big fan of blue patterns and black and white tennis shoes). I personally just don't care, however I'm aware that everyone else does. I want to fit in and dress like everyone else, but it's just not in me. I was told that it is a bit of an Aspy thing to not care about things like that, but is that the case or am I just lazy and deficient?
No your not Lazy or deficient you just see clothes for what they are
For the last 3 years I’ve been wearing dark/medium indigo blue slim fit jeans & black slim fit jeans both are 98% Cotton with 2% elastin for stretch & Comfort with 5 identical simple black T -Shirts. In the colder seasons I wear the same pair of jeans (I have 3 pairs of Levi indigo blue jeans & 3 paired of Levi black jeans) with 6 identical long sleeve black tops. and 1 black jacket. If I want to add color to my outfit, FOOTWARE! I love Converse & Onitsuka Tiger shoes. Because of my Aspergers I have Sensory processing issues and every time I buy clothing which is not often the first thing I do when I get home from shopping mall is that I cut all the tags off the clothes because I can’t stand anything scratching against my skin it annoys the hell out of me. Have a nice day

Last edited:
I am currently phasing into some new clothes, I only like sweatpants, hoodies and t-shirt that essembles together. I had always been a very big fan of those college style sweats and I am wanting to get into it more.

l_1051.jpg

398920170425134508.jpeg

When wearing them, this makes me feel more intellectual and much smarter. 50\50 cotton is all I had been wearing most of my life and the comfort is perfect as. I like having t-shirts to go with this too, I have a lot of fun mixing and matching. I am obsessed with the large capital writing, the fonts are awesome and this had appealed to me all my life.

I still wear the pants on hot days since I am not a big fan of wearing shorts. If there's an opportunity to go swimming, I like swim with these pants on since I get an over stimulating feel wearing them in the water. I am more comfortable wearing pants when swimming instead of conventional swim shorts or any other shorts that's not meant for swimming. I enjoy the feel of having my legs covered up when swimming and I spend hours in the water sometimes.

i do like clothes. mostly shirts. i even have my own collection. i mostly collect tank tops with a specific design. and that design is palm trees. i love them. and ever since a few years ago when i bought my first one. i keep on collecting them. i also collect video game or comic shirts. recently i bought a shirt with one of my favorite comic series on it redneck. i also bought a hat for it too. i also like having shirts with logos on them. even when i play grand theft auto i can spend a while just changing my characters clothes to my liking.

I think clothing is dictated by many different factors and lots of people probably can't wear fashion even if they want to.

Most fashion is created for people with the body of a model, so unless you were blessed with one you will struggle to be a slave to fashion.

For me clothes HAVE to be comfortable. At home I usually wear casual, loose fitting, weather appropriate attire.
However, when I go out I like to look good. Most social situations make me anxious, so I like to give myself the best shot at being as confident as I can be. If I know I look good, that's a head start.
I like to look stylish rather than fashionable. But my clothes still have to meet my criteria.
1. Comfortable.
2. Decent quality.
3. Natural fibres wherever possible.
4. Suit my body shape.
5. Show some design characteristics.
6. Fit my limited colour palette.

Needless to say this can be quite a challenge, so if I find something suitable I just buy it, unless it is outrageously expensive. Once I find a piece that fits the bill I usually keep it for many years and try to take really good care of it. If I really love something I will repair it, dye it, patch it, even redesign it just so I can keep it going. I still have something I bought in Spain in the seventies and although I haven't worn it for a great many years, I still can't bear to get rid of it. I recently looked online and found similar dresses are very popular with vintage collectors. My style is still almost exactly the same as it was then even if a size or two larger.

I have found you get much better treatment from people if you look well presented. Although I don't do it to attract attention, I actually quite often get compliments from total strangers which is nice.

Clothes are also a form of self expression and say quite a lot about the wearer. I like to think my clothes reflect my personality and the way I see myself.

3 days a week I work in an office where my wear is a dressy shirt, jeans and sneakers. The other 2 days I work from home and wear a sweater and jeans or t-shirt or jeans or stay in my pyjamas all day.

I always had this dream of being that cute teenage anime nerd girl who wears tutus and adorable nerd dresses all the time and whenever she walks into a room she's framed by roses and the air around her glitters and it's all pink, and her hair/makeup/flawless glowing skin/ tiny perfect nose is amazing......Yeah no. Unfortunately, like a lot of things, being cute looks so much cringier in real life. I try to get all the anime shirts, but honestly i just wear whatever is comfortable with some sweat pants. This is because where i live could basically be one of those frigid tundras you see in fantasy movies, at least for most of the year xD. When it's not cold and miserable, i wear dresses and shorts all the time. Lighter shirts and soft shorts with no shoes are best. There are times when i've almost gotten away with going barefoot out in public. Other than that, i often forget about my physical appearance because life is too short to look presentable.

New Threads

Top Bottom