• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Fashion

I'm interested in fashion, but I don't really act on my interest. I just pick out a shirt, sweater and pants that go reasonably well together. It's more comfortable, and I have a limited wardrobe to put together cool outfits.

Hi. I'm a newly discovered Aspy and so much makes sense. I do have one question to see if this is is common. I can't dress. Despite best intentions, I just have no fashion sense. Even when people help me shop, all I see is fabric on a hanger. CLothes don't stand out to me. All of the clothes I prefer to buy are generally the same (Apparently I'm a big fan of blue patterns and black and white tennis shoes). I personally just don't care, however I'm aware that everyone else does. I want to fit in and dress like everyone else, but it's just not in me. I was told that it is a bit of an Aspy thing to not care about things like that, but is that the case or am I just lazy and deficient?

I can only speak from my own experience, so this is my two cents:

Whoever has called you lazy and deficient clearly also possesses those qualities, because they are too lazy and deficient to offer up something constructive to say to you. That's a pretty impressive game of psychological projection they're playing on you.

I've had my ups-and-downs as far as keeping up with fashion trends goes. If people are asking you to change up your wardrobe a bit, is there a way that you can maybe incorporate your preferences into your everyday outfits so that you know its there but nobody else needs to see it? For example, if you like blue patterns, would you be open to do blue undergarments beneath your otherwise "socially appropriate" (sorry for the use of that phrase!!) outfit? And for the tennis shoe preference, I just found this link that I hope will be helpful; it showcases various sneakers that can pass as formal wear when needed:

http://www.nicekicks.com/2011/04/29/tux-tie-kicks-20-sneakers-for-black-tie-affairs/4/

I have never had any interest in clothes or fashion. When I started earning my own money my mother always wanted me to buy clothes but I felt it was unnecessary. I wear clothes to protect myself from the environment and to avoid causing others distress. I have always found jobs that required/supplied uniforms so clothes were not a problem. I understand NTs use clothing style to determine a person's status but I've never been able to do that or even been interested. I tried to become stylish in high school but was a complete failure.

I wear jeans, t shirt, and hiking boots everyday. I have four pairs of the same jeans I wear all the time, some people go crazy trying to figure out how the holes in my pants appear and disappear. The t shirts is black, grey, or purple for the most part.Sometimes if its cold I wear a zip up hoodie or a flannel shirt.

Hi. I'm a newly discovered Aspy and so much makes sense. I do have one question to see if this is is common. I can't dress. Despite best intentions, I just have no fashion sense. Even when people help me shop, all I see is fabric on a hanger. CLothes don't stand out to me. All of the clothes I prefer to buy are generally the same (Apparently I'm a big fan of blue patterns and black and white tennis shoes). I personally just don't care, however I'm aware that everyone else does. I want to fit in and dress like everyone else, but it's just not in me. I was told that it is a bit of an Aspy thing to not care about things like that, but is that the case or am I just lazy and deficient?

With respect to my "dress habits" and fashion sense, I appear to be very much like you. I have never to my current recollection ever cared very much at all for following fashion trends of any kind. I appear to dress rather very much the same
on a day in and day out basis, and do not presently have any plans for a change in my current habits on these terms. I theorize that this and my nerdy nature has rendered me somewhat less desirable in the view of some ladies, but that is conjectural.

I don't really care about fashion, and I have noticed that since the early noughties the cycle of fashion has kind of imploded in on itself, and the same styles, and clothing from certain periods of history, are in fashion so often that it is virtually impossible to appear unfashionable these days. In 1996 if you wore an outfit from 1986 you would look hideously unfashionable, but if you wore an outfit from 2006 now, nobody would be able to tell.

Everything I wear has to be very comfortable. As a kid, I refused to wear jeans because they didn't feel good to me. The colors and/or prints of my clothes clashed a lot too and I used to get mocked by the other kids for it, but it wasn't until junior high that I starting being really aware of what I was wearing and how I was being judged for it. So I wore mostly black through high school because it was easier than choosing anything and I also started wearing jeans to fit in.

Now, for work, I wear a baggy men's button-up shirt, with a tank top underneath, and jeans. I still hate jeans, but the alternative for work would be slacks, which I don't like even more. As soon as I get home, I change into a loose men's t-shirt and sweats. If I have to go out again, I'll wear the t-shirt with jeans. I only wear athletic shoes. I have 2 pairs of identical jeans and most of my shirts are navy or dark grey.

Sometimes, I feel like I should try to get some different colors so I don't look like I wear the same clothes everyday, but when I go shopping, I generally still buy the same-looking stuff. When I do talk myself into getting something different, I never wear it because I feel like it is too bright or attention-getting, which makes me uncomfortable, and it ends up just sitting in my closet.

I think it was because I really wished I HAD to wear glasses for some reason. I just liked them. I thought I could hide behind them.
Now I DO have to wear glasses or contacts and wish I didn't [emoji14]
i so completely agree viz. lenseless glasses

I couldn't wear lenseless glasses, I used to have to wear glasses but had laser eye surgery a few years ago.

I've never been one to accessorise, no jewellery or tattoos, etc apart from a watch do that I can tell what time it is.

I actually felt a sense of pride when I actually got glasses. I thought I looked smarter. No one else seemed to notice, though.

I do not currently ever really recall caring too much, say relative to others, about how I dress. I have no
"fashion sense", and care little for fashion concerns. This has probably not been to my social advantage as
I think back on my dating years.
Because largely of my Aspie I have never really been able to hook up, in any meaningful way with anyone
in any sort of longer term relationship. It was not until I learned of my Aspie that any of this made sense to me
in context.

Do not allow your fashion sense to cause you distress. Dress the way you like. If others don't like it it is not your problem...It is theirs! I myself like plain gray pocket Tshirts and black slacks (no jeans!) and I dare anyone to make fun of me at my age. I am 64 years old and weigh 380 pounds.

I use to not care about fashion until I reached my late teens. I'm obsessed with mostly Korean, EL Wire and Cyberpunk looking fashion

I had no fashion sense at all for the longest time. It's still not natural to me, but I watched a lot of the series What Not to Wear, and learned some really good tips and patterns to work with. I guess it was a bit of a special interest for a while. Now I can at least notice fashion trends, and make a conscious decision whether to follow them or not. I still dress pretty plainly though just because it's more comfortable.

I did learn it's possible to make choices of clothing that meet my standards while still working within a fashion-conscious paradigm.

I was fortunate in that my mom took me aside back in high school and gave me some tips. She said, Don't dress tacky." Watch which patterns you throw together; so I'll wear solid pants with a patterned shirt that's appropriate to the season. Also, I'll ask my NT wife about what goes. Good to have a partner or friend with good style aesthetics.

I have dress sense rather than fashion sense. One of my obsessions is colour, for which I have a good eye. I dress for the occasion and weather, and am making an effort not to obsess about wearing colours that fit the season. I have recently updated my wardrobe, but on my terms - I cannot wear a colour or style I don't like just because it's fashionable. I know what works and what doesn't, and what suits me and what doesn't. I do wear some costume jewellery and am big on scarves, but only wear make-up for special occasions.

I really like style not fashion but style people how can get them self look good I know there is more there meet they eyes but it's well be so cool to know how

I don't care about fashion at all. I wear the same kinds of closthes I did when I was a kid. Jeans and flannel type shirt or a shirt with a plaid-ish pattern even if it's not flannel. I don't like to have my hair cut and I only shave when I have to.

Fashion to me seems to be a lot about social interaction, I don't enjoy or really want much social interaction and don't even think about what other people think of my clothes or how I look generally.

For me it's all about sameness and comfort.

New Threads

Top Bottom