• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Fashion

Hi. I'm a newly discovered Aspy and so much makes sense. I do have one question to see if this is is common. I can't dress. Despite best intentions, I just have no fashion sense. Even when people help me shop, all I see is fabric on a hanger. CLothes don't stand out to me. All of the clothes I prefer to buy are generally the same (Apparently I'm a big fan of blue patterns and black and white tennis shoes). I personally just don't care, however I'm aware that everyone else does. I want to fit in and dress like everyone else, but it's just not in me. I was told that it is a bit of an Aspy thing to not care about things like that, but is that the case or am I just lazy and deficient?

I'm very much the same. I've never had any fashion sense, nor much concern about it. I like simple clothes am fine wearing similar things day after day. In fact, I have to write down what I wear on a calendar so that I don't repeat the same thing too often--since apparently repeating outfits in close proximity breaks an unwritten social rule in the workplace.

I'm not fond of those unwritten rules. I've been sent home twice from work for wearing inappropriate clothing--because I made the wrong guesses or judgments about what fit the standards.

Last edited:
I have been told I dress well, but I don't care for fashion trends. I wear what I like and don't go in for brand names or anything like that. Clothing, for me, is about comfort, functionality, and aesthetic. They are not a status symbol or "tribal" signifier.

When I was younger I didn't care much for my looks and would mostly wear sweat pants, jeans, and tee shirts. I also frequently had greasy hair. Then I went through a phase where I was practically obsessed with how I looked all the time. It was exhausting. These days I still wear nice clothes most of the time, but rarely wear makeup or jewelry any more. I just don't feel the impetus most of the time.

I wear the clothes that I wear because their comfortable, not because their in style. I have fifteen pairs of pants that are the same and it is rare for me to wear any other pants. They are all grey slacks. For shirts I wear pull overs, mostly t-shirts with a few collared shirts here and there. Black shoes with black socks. People think that I'm weird, but I don't think it is because of the way that I dress.

I don't know what the current trends in fashion are and I don't care. For me, fashion is ephemeral and superficial. Having comfortable, clean clothes is important, not whether they are in fashion or not.

I had no fashion sense at all for the longest time. It's still not natural to me, but I watched a lot of the series What Not to Wear, and learned some really good tips and patterns to work with. I guess it was a bit of a special interest for a while. Now I can at least notice fashion trends, and make a conscious decision whether to follow them or not. I still dress pretty plainly though just because it's more comfortable.

I did learn it's possible to make choices of clothing that meet my standards while still working within a fashion-conscious paradigm.

I have absolutely no interest in fashion and dress rather plainly . When questioned about it my answer is always," looks are not as important as function".

I do realize that this position is more acceptable for me, being a man, than it would be for a woman who society believes should have a "fashion sense".

I have absolutely no interest in fashion and dress rather plainly . When questioned about it my answer is always," looks are not as important as function".

I do realize that this position is more acceptable for me, being a man, than it would be for a woman who society believes should have a "fashion sense".
That is a good point. I think that society does expect more fashionable dress for the ladies than is expected of men. I am lucky in that I never had to worry about work place attire. Back when I worked for someone else, I was supplied with uniforms to wear. Now I just need my clothes clean, pressed and comfortable. I not only dress plainly, but pretty much the same every day. This fashion thing has to be hard for Aspie ladies in the work place and socially.

When I was younger and had an interest, I had my own fashion sense, I liked old clothes. I found a bunch of my dad's clothes, suits and dress shirts, from the 50's in the attic and started wearing them to school. But my color sense was a little off, and when I tried to buy new clothes I always felt uncomfortable.

I am comfortable in tan Carhartt work pants, and button down or polo shirts in muted colors, so that is what I wear most of the time. I like gray and black. I've tried to dress myself up from time to time, but I just don't feel comfortable in that kind of clothing, especially anything I'd have to iron or have dry cleaned.

Jumpsuits are about as utilitarian as it gets. Just jump into it and zip your done.

Too bad we don't live in space colonies in the future. In the movies everyone on those wears jumpsuits.

Jumpsuits are about as utilitarian as it gets. Just jump into it and zip your done.

Too bad we don't live in space colonies in the future. In the movies everyone on those wears jumpsuits.

Jump suits can be really awkward when you go to the bathroom.
Maybe in space that doesn't matter.
On Earth, it matters. To me.
Bib overalls are a problem that way, too.
Sometimes at school, in the bathroom, the straps to my overalls would
fall in the toilet.
That was poor.

I had odd fashion sense until I was in my 20's, when I developed a good one and learned the "rules" of what goes with what (I also watched a lot of What Not to Wear).
As a kid, for an entire year, I wore the same sweatsuit in different colors with a white turtleneck.
In middle school, I remember wearing a pastel pink Jean and matching fleece ensemble.
In high school, I had a pair of black Mary Jane shoes that I wore every day. It didn't matter what I was wearing, either. I wore holes through the bottom and ended up having to duct tape one of them to hold on the sole.
I also liked to wear glasses without the lenses.

Jump suits can be really awkward when you go to the bathroom.
Maybe in space that doesn't matter.
On Earth, it matters. To me.
Bib overalls are a problem that way, too.
Sometimes at school, in the bathroom, the straps to my overalls would
fall in the toilet.
That was poor.

Hmmm. Didn't think of that. I guess they don't go in the future.

Any reason in particular for that? Wondering if it somehow narrowed your vision and blocked out some peripheral distraction.
I think it was because I really wished I HAD to wear glasses for some reason. I just liked them. I thought I could hide behind them.
Now I DO have to wear glasses or contacts and wish I didn't [emoji14]

New Threads

Top Bottom