• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quarantine in the US is presently on a voluntary basis. So far it does not appear that the authorities are going to adopt policies more indicative of authoritarian societies, but as the situation remains fluid, anything is potentially possible.

If one runs out of food while in formal quarantine, I suppose arrangements can be made to help them get what they may need.

As for the continued availability of certain supplies, that's anyone's guess. Though it amazes me that consumers haven't figured out to shop at places other than Cosco or Walmart to find what in many cases is still out there.

Last edited:
I am officially at this Point.

It makes absolutely no sense to be annoyed by threads you voluntarily click on and read LOL that combined with the content of your posts makes it all actually pretty funny so I guess mission accomplished for you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh. Thanks for the tolerance. Now you've quoted me I can't delete either...
Frustrated because I can't figure out how to post a new topic of my own I can take responsibility for :mad:

So sorry.

You just go to the forum you want to create a topic in and click "create a thread" at the top right of the forum. :eek:

I know there's already been several threads about the Corona virus, but I wanted to ask about this fear some people I know have of quarantine. They believe we need to stock up on food and other supplies because we'll be quarantined and unable to buy more supplies. Is this a legitimate fear? They also worry stores will run out of food but that doesn't seem likely to me.

Legitimate to the person feeling the fear, I imagine :)

The thing I don't understand @Fino is,

In this day and age, is anyone so isolated that they can't get in touch with family , friends, neighbours to ask them to help with shopping and supplies in the event of voluntary quarantine?

Over the pond in UK we can order online and have the supermarket delivery driver drop it on the doorstep.
(don't have to leave the house)

I'm scratching my head, puzzled, trying to think of a scenario whereby supplies would be impossible to obtain in one way or another.

Legitimate to the person feeling the fear, I imagine :)

The thing I don't understand @Fino is,

In this day and age, is anyone so isolated that they can't get in touch with family , friends, neighbours to ask them to help with shopping and supplies in the event of voluntary quarantine?

Over the pond in UK we can order online and have the supermarket delivery driver drop it on the doorstep.
(don't have to leave the house)

I'm scratching my head, puzzled, trying to think of a scenario whereby supplies would be impossible to obtain in one way or another.

On the other side of the pond, we can order groceries and have them delivered also. There could be short term shortages though.

Low tech: My cat could go to the shop pulling a little cart, and I could write a note which they would wear gloves to read...

:cat::pizza::grapes::cookie::coffee::watermelon:

Here in the UK we can order supermarket deliverys online, so getting food won't be any problem while self-isolating. I think real food shortages are highly unlikely.

Edit: I see this is already being discussed, I really should read other comments first.

I think it will be okay. People are serenading one another from their balconies in cities in Italy that are under lockdown. People are incredible and tough and amazing.

"Abbracciame cchiù forte", il canto dei napoletani in quarantena dai balconi di casa

Ah, the boredom has begun, I see.

It was only a matter of time.

Next thing we know, they'll be having some sort of water balloon catapult war between apartment buildings.

This level of panic generally doesn't last that long and ironically as the pandemic gets worse the news of deaths and infections will stop being novel and so people will probably stop caring so much.

Aye, this part would almost be funny if it weren't so bloody stupid.

It's like the influenza thing. Kills bazillions every single year. Nobody cares (and the dumb part is, nobody takes steps to protect themselves.... sigh) despite the sheer numbers involved.

But this? Right now it's new, it's scary, and the BLEEPing news channels keep shoving the numbers in everyone's faces. Like, literally. You can tell they are SERIOUSLY banking on those numbers to scare everyone into watching MORE NEWS, but you can ALSO tell they're getting more aggressive about it to combat the whole "people are losing interest" aspect. Like, I went out into the livingroom yesterday, and the news was just randomly on (hilariously, with nobody in the house actually paying the slightest bit of attention to it), and on the news there was some guy just talking about something pretty basic. Some simple policy. But at the bottom of the screen were two numbers: "Total cases" and "Deaths". With the actual numbers in a BIG freakin' font. The numbers had NOTHING to do with what was being discussed (the actual discussion was about helping small business owners) And it's like... seriously, guys? You're being THAT obvious with it? Are your corporate overlords THAT addicted to eating money sandwiches? You're not even TRYING to hide your motivation here! You may as well replace that with "BE SCARED SO WE CAN HAVE TEH DOLLARS"!

Just... uuuugh.

Next thing we know, they'll be having some sort of water balloon catapult war between apartment buildings.

Aye, this part would almost be funny if it weren't so bloody stupid.

It's like the influenza thing. Kills bazillions every single year. Nobody cares (and the dumb part is, nobody takes steps to protect themselves.... sigh) despite the sheer numbers involved.

But this? Right now it's new, it's scary, and the BLEEPing news channels keep shoving the numbers in everyone's faces. Like, literally. You can tell they are SERIOUSLY banking on those numbers to scare everyone into watching MORE NEWS, but you can ALSO tell they're getting more aggressive about it to combat the whole "people are losing interest" aspect. Like, I went out into the livingroom yesterday, and the news was just randomly on (hilariously, with nobody in the house actually paying the slightest bit of attention to it), and on the news there was some guy just talking about something pretty basic. Some simple policy. But at the bottom of the screen were two numbers: "Total cases" and "Deaths". With the actual numbers in a BIG freakin' font. The numbers had NOTHING to do with what was being discussed (the actual discussion was about helping small business owners) And it's like... seriously, guys? You're being THAT obvious with it? Are your corporate overlords THAT addicted to eating money sandwiches? You're not even TRYING to hide your motivation here! You may as well replace that with "BE SCARED SO WE CAN HAVE TEH DOLLARS"!

Just... uuuugh.

I know right? But still, facts are facts and the facts are that the situation IS difficult. Not for everyone but for many, be it because of the virus, the economical, or mental standpoint.

Just went to buy coffee for example. The city looks dead. Most shops are closed. It's coffee time but cafés, bars, restaurants are closed. No people on the streets. No sounds, shouting, laughter. Very few cars where normally there's enormous traffic. The nation seems to be frozen, waiting for the next news from the president. At times it felt like no one was there anymore. Creepy.

Tell me it doesn't make you uncertain.

While panic itself is foolish, discounting people's fears isn't good either.

Edit: Oh, the Shouty Guy just started his normal Saturday serenade time. It seems the world is working as normal in the end :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Don't know about boredom, entertainment in difficult times for one another seems more likely. The ability to adapt under the circumstances.

I am in hospitality industry, one of our patrons asked why the server wasn't wearing gloves. We are now wiping wiping wiping everything. We will stop accepting money because its filthy, so that's good. We are having dancing under the stars tonite, wondering what the total count will be?
We use plastic glasses. And l have pulled a lot of doubles because someone is sick or doesn't wish to come in, but l need the dinero.

I went to the grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things. There was no toilet paper, paper towels, bleach-based cleaning supplies, liquid antibacterial soap, or bottled water. I bought the last two bags of dried pinto beans in the store. Hubby picked up the deer he shot from the butcher yesterday so there's another 50-60 pounds of venison in the freezer.

We have 12 rolls of toilet paper. I'm thinking about raffling them off at $10 per ticket. Might as well get ahead of the curve for the black market. :D

Here in the UK we can order supermarket deliverys online, so getting food won't be any problem while self-isolating. I think real food shortages are highly unlikely.

Edit: I see this is already being discussed, I really should read other comments first.
I’m not going to start doing this. The cost of delivery has risen to an all time high. No way. I stopped this last year when I seen the costs; the same in every supermarket!

LOL. I saw that article this morning, too.

In the event of martial law, I hope the National Guard simply detains people like this and stands them up against a wall and shoots them. No due process for profiteering, let alone looters.

In the event of martial law, I hope the National Guard simply detains people like this and stands them up against a wall and shoots them. No due process for profiteering, let alone looters.

Cops in New Orleans just shot people on a bridge, too, during Katrina flooding. The victims were just trying to avoid drowning at the time. All the more reason to stay at home.

I know there's already been many posts about the Corona virus, but I wanted to ask about this fear some people I know have of quarantine. They believe we need to stock up on food and other supplies because we'll be quarantined and unable to buy more supplies. Is this a legitimate fear? They also worry stores will run out of food but that doesn't seem likely to me.

Mass quarantine is a legitimate fear, as most of urban China and all of Italy are currently under mandatory mass quarantine. It's possible that in China the penalty for quarantine breakers is shoot to kill-a pic is going around showing a dead man lying face down in a pool of his own blood on a Wuhan sidewalk. The conspiracy press thinks he "bled out from the virus", but it looks to me like he was simply shot dead, from the pattern of blood relative to the way his body was laying. The quarantine has lasted so long in Wuhan that the night air is filled with the agonized screams of the dying, and people are throwing themselves from their balconies, their bodies torched where they fell. The idea of mass quarantines lasting long enough that people start dying of starvation more than the virus is not only legit, but a reality, especially given the global panic.

Yep. The term "mandatory" has a very different meaning in most any authoritarian system.

Schools and libraries are shut down in LA until April 15th according to my LA friend. The bright side- the freeways are empty. Her commute to work is so much better. She is in accounting firm- tax time. The officials decided to wait out flu season before resuming school.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom