• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hope the IRS extends the income tax deadline beyond April 15. I really don't want to deal with spreadsheets and receipts right now. And I sure don't want to look at the status of our retirement funds.

I hope the IRS extends the income tax deadline beyond April 15. I really don't want to deal with spreadsheets and receipts right now. And I sure don't want to look at the status of our retirement funds.
Mary, the only way I can handle the thought of my retirement fund is to not look at its value today. It's one thing to see a chart of drops in the stock market indexes. It's different to see your own account.

Mary, the only way I can handle the thought of my retirement fund is to not look at its value today. It's one thing to see a chart of drops in the stock market indexes. It's different to see your own account.

I moved all my retirement funds out of speculative programs about two years ago. Knew a storm was coming, but never contemplated one driven by pathogens.

I agree. I don't want to know what our various funds are doing right now.

One of the smartest things I ever did was to put a very large sum of money in a plain old, high-yield savings account right before the financial crash in 2008. Like Judge, I suspected that something was going to happen. All of that money is still sitting in the bank, not invested in anything and not earning much interest, but it is secure. Maybe now is the time to buy stock in McDonald's hamburgers and Campbell's Soups. Stock values for those two companies were among the very few that actually grew after 2008 because people reverted to eating cheap food.

I agree. I don't want to know what our various funds are doing right now.

One of the smartest things I ever did was to put a very large sum of money in a plain old, high-yield savings account right before the financial crash in 2008. Like Judge, I suspected that something was going to happen. All of that money is still sitting in the bank, not invested in anything and not earning much interest, but it is secure. Maybe now is the time to buy stock in McDonald's hamburgers and Campbell's Soups. Stock values for those two companies were among the very few that actually grew after 2008 because people reverted to eating cheap food.

In times like these, you know the mantra- "cash is king".

This economy has been growing for the last eleven years. Inevitable for it to cycle downwards...no matter what catalyst sets off an inevitable recession. Eleven years is quite impressive, but there's no strategy or policy that can put off the inevitable given that all economies are dynamic and cyclical in nature.

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't owe money asides from my mortgage which we renewed in summer on a 5 year fixed term. So anything going wrong with interest rates won't be an issue for another 4.5 years. Only thing I'm going to focus on for the next few months is saving up money as it's always good as a safety net.

I can't see my job being at risk as it's in the transport industry and keeping lorries and trucks on the roads keeps the food and pharmaceuticals in the shops.

For the most part the news is focused on new cases and deaths. It forgets how many tens of thousands have recovered. So whilst it might end up affecting a lot of people - the time spent out of work will be minimal in the grand scheme of things.

The wheels will keep on turning.

Ed

What are 'things' and what is 'okay' if 'things' is an all encumbering statement as to everything, then let me tell you, even before all this, things were never 'okay.'

but what is 'okay' It was before we faced many problems as a society and individuals, but still we persisted in our day to day lives. Smiles were had, and through the hardships, and even in our worst times, there is some light. Things were already horrible, yet we survived, and through our survival, we found a bit of life to live to make things better.

Even in the worst case scenario, there will be things that stay as they are, and with the things that turn bad, through the hardships are sprinkled a bit of light to keep us going.

I am confident that no matter how bad it gets, even if we are forced into survival, there will be victories with loss, good with the bad. And when it is dark with little but misery. That candle of the good that shone dimly with all the lights of normal pleasures in life drowning it out, the smallest of candles will shine the brightest when it is dark.

Long story short, yes. The hype will fizzle out as the media shuts up about it and directs their attention to something else, and the outbreak will disappear over time. I don't know when, but this is not the first time this has happened - there was H1N1 and SARS before this. Yes, there will unfortunately be segments of the population who are more vulnerable and may suffer complications, but you can do the research if you need the facts.

Keep hands clean, avoid contact with others, minimize travel and more importantly do not freak out.

Mass quarantine is a legitimate fear, as most of urban China and all of Italy are currently under mandatory mass quarantine. It's possible that in China the penalty for quarantine breakers is shoot to kill-a pic is going around showing a dead man lying face down in a pool of his own blood on a Wuhan sidewalk. The conspiracy press thinks he "bled out from the virus", but it looks to me like he was simply shot dead, from the pattern of blood relative to the way his body was laying. The quarantine has lasted so long in Wuhan that the night air is filled with the agonized screams of the dying, and people are throwing themselves from their balconies, their bodies torched where they fell. The idea of mass quarantines lasting long enough that people start dying of starvation more than the virus is not only legit, but a reality, especially given the global panic.

You must be quite terrified then!

I'm not convinced home delivery will necessarily be a viable option. All sorts of things can happen from shortages in certain items, to low staff members - if they are staying home with sick family, or are sick themselves - and also there are so many people suddenly trying to have their groceries home delivered. A friend in a capital (in Australia) told me yesterday that there were no delivery windows available for one of our biggest supermarkets and that the other big chains server was down.

No, I'm not saying 'panic'. I am saying a little prep doesn't hurt.

I was at the store today and the lines are longer than I have ever seen them. People are buying everything and some shelves are empty.

I don't know where you are but it's been similar here in Australia. It was several weeks ago that the government here asked us to stock up on a few extra things each time we went shopping just in case. Seemed sensible and easy enough to me yet it was largely dismissed by people in the community as not necessary, fake news, sensationalising etc etc. Now people are getting concerned and so are rushing, and yes there are shortages.

I have spent all my savings stocking up on the things I need.

I'm not glad that you've had to spend your savings but I am happy that you have what you need. Food and other essentials won't go to waste.

Are things going to be okay?... are people going to be okay?

Yes things will be okay. Everything might not be great or perfect though. Will people be okay? Most us will, yes. Some people already aren't okay. For the most part I'm happy to stay home (easy for me :p) because then I won't be spreading anything to those who are much more vulnerable than me. I think we should take covid-19 seriously BUT also keep it in perspective.

Turning off the news, as you said you're doing, for the most part is a great idea. Just look for the big updates from your government (and WHO) so you know what is expected of you. :)

Long story short, yes. The hype will fizzle out as the media shuts up about it and directs their attention to something else, and the outbreak will disappear over time. I don't know when, but this is not the first time this has happened - there was H1N1 and SARS before this. Yes, there will unfortunately be segments of the population who are more vulnerable and may suffer complications, but you can do the research if you need the facts.

Keep hands clean, avoid contact with others, minimize travel and more importantly do not freak out.

Indeed.

Also, note that the CDC has pages full of all of the info you could possibly need, related to what to watch for (in yourself and in those around you, remember that elderly/infirm/immuno-compromised are the ones that are truly at risk, so if you or people you know are in that category, be extra careful), what to do to protect yourself, and what to do if you get sick. It's an easy read, and it's all simple stuff. I just went through it myself. Can get to it right from their front page.

No, I'm not saying 'panic'. I am saying a little prep doesn't hurt.

Aye, preparation is never a bad thing.

The problem: There is a big difference between "preparation" and "hoarding". The second one involves buying seriously ridiculous amounts of stuff in one giant blob, and only makes it harder on others. Again, "alert, not anxious". Be logical about prepping. Dont be anxious/paranoid about it. Think carefully and examine your own situation before doing anything. Part of the reason for shortages is people NOT doing that, and just going out to stores and going "I NEED AN ENTIRE HOUSE MADE OUT OF TOILET PAPER RIGHT NOW". Dont do that.

No cat would ever pull a little cart. You must be thinking of a dog.

I dunno, depends on the dog.

Were it my dog, people in line might find themselves startled when suddenly the cart is slammed into their shins at high speed, as he attempts to get them interested in trying to take it from him.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I've been spending WAY too much time lately typing on this accursed thing. Can always tell, I start to get "warning pains" in my neck and upper back. It's a bad habit, too. Time for a break! Methinks I'll focus on other activities for a few days. So might vanish for awhile. I wish you all the best in that time.

Looks like the attorney generals of Kentucky and Tennessee also heard about these guys.

They may be prosecuted for profiteering under existing state laws. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch...

Tennessee AG cracks down on men who hoarded thousands of sanitizer bottles amid shopper scare

LOL...an update. It appears they have donated their supply of hand sanitizer. No doubt Luca Brasi and Vito Corleone probably convinced them to do the right thing. Making them an offer they could not refuse. :p

The Man With 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer Just Donated Them

Tennessee man who stockpiled hand sanitizer donates 17,700 bottles ahead of investigation

I was dreading coming into work today. The reason being - I knew the news talk would be relentless.

Sure enough it has been - all morning. Its given the boring people at work a lot to talk about. Strangely enough, it's making them even more tedious to listen to than usual.

I think my job would be a lot more enjoyable if I could use headphones. Unfortunately my manager said I'm not allowed to. I keep looking for jobs elsewhere, but nothing suitable is forthcoming at the moment.

Ed

Bleagh. Our health club is closed. We went for a swim last night and it felt so good!

The vet school where I took my sick cat for an ultrasound on Friday is closed down, and my local vet never got the results sent.

The public library was supposed to close today at 9 p.m., but now their website says they closed yesterday afternoon.

I had a return and an order pickup at Penney's last week, and checked to see if the mall was even open. It was, but I don't know for how long.

Some places are closing bars and restaurants, or they are only open for takeout/delivery orders.

My bank is supposed to be open through Friday, but will they be?

I'm starting to feel the claustrophobia! And I don't have a balcony to sing from. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom