• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone nonverbal sometimes ?

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
Hey everyone sometimes I feel like I just can’t get any words out to anyone.sometimes Even if I want to talk I just can’t I feel trapped inside myself. Or feel like I’m being too repetitive.

Anyone else feel like this?

Sometimes I can't find/don't know the words for something and at those times I think I can relate to the trapped feeling -- especially if whatever I want to communicate is important.

Hey everyone sometimes I feel like I just can’t get any words out to anyone.sometimes Even if I want to talk I just can’t I feel trapped inside myself. Or feel like I’m being too repetitive.

Yes! If there are a lot of other people around and it is very noisy. Or other situations where there is a lot of sensory overload. Sometimes I feel this way around my own very large family. If there is anymore than three or four people, I get uncomfortable.

When I'm out and about, it's simply uncharacteristic of me to say much of anything to total strangers.

I can go for so long without saying a word to anyone that it can be difficult to speak at times, even when I need to! :eek:

When I’m out and away from home AND get tired and hungry, I have a very hard time finding words and I’m also too tired to remember to smile etc.
I talk to my dog every day so I won’t forget how!

Not exactly nonverbal, but very inarticulate. I trip over my words a lot trying to figure out how to coalesce my thoughts into words. I like to have everything perfectly phrased and concisely stated. If it’s not, I ramble or look like an idiot.

How about when you don't want to say anything, because you see no need to add to the idle chitterchatter

Yes, sometimes, if I'm overwhelmed by senses or emotions. I often find it hard to articulate myself or even speak when under pressure to speak.

When in a social situation, and when I have been so angry ( the latter is helped by meds to keep anger moderate).

I avoid huge social situations. Can cope with very small social settings ie four people.

I had Selective Mutism at school from ages of about 14-18, my mind either went completely blank when someone addressed me or I just couldn't get the words to form at all, like I was trapped inside myself, so all I could do was nod (barely) or shake my head.

I don't have it now, I learned to overcome it, but sometimes I still get overwhelmed by everything happening around me - especially in a noisy, social environment, so I hardly talk at all. It's not the same as in my teens, but I do still go blank sometimes and stutter over my words.

I have began to loose words more and more these days in conversations and its simple ones that i DO know so yes

This very morning I took an A4 piece of paper with me to a doctors appointment,
detailing a list of various changes in both physical and mental health over a period of time.

I mostly avoid making appointments.
(My leg has to be hanging off, so to speak)

I dislike the whole process. A lot.

I don’t have much to say today either. (Verbally)

I handed her the list and let her know she’d have to ask me questions.

It was the only way communication was going to happen between us.

So, yes.
There are times when I can’t organise and deliver the information I need to succinctly within a time scale, such as a Dr’s appointment.

And other times where I don’t want to speak.
I haven’t fell out with anyone, I’m not deliberately ignoring anyone,
It’s hard work trying to hold a conversation and I’m already weary.

My dog is great company on those days.

My son has mentioned the same thing exactly, I am still trying to figure everything out about him, I used to get upset with him when I asked him a question and he didn't answer me, I remember saying at least you could answer me. I am afraid I just didn't understand back then. Now I do.... I realize there are times he doesn't talk or a yes or no answer is all I can get if that. and he has recently as a matter of fact said he feels trapped. Of course It is hard for me to understand all that he feels or lack of, but I am trying and this forum and the people in it have all be so nice and extremely helpful! Thank you all who post and answer! I have been on other sites but not like this one.... All I can say is Thank You!

I can lose my ability to articulate or speak if very overwhelmed but that is rare. I used to experience my mind going blank and being unable to speak when put on the spot by a teacher at school. Often when I wake up in the morning my brain is wide awake and busy but I can't seem to speak and it can take up to half an hour to get words out, though I don't recall having that problem my whole life.

If it's important I make notes: scripts for phone calls, lists taken to appointments

In casual conversation with people I am close to and/or very comfortable with I can ramble because I find my thoughts better if I verbalise them. I think/talk my way into understanding myself and my environment.

Last edited:
When it happens that I am very overwhelmed I find it really difficult to speak. I have to use large amounts of energy to do so. But I have to do it if I am working. But it makes me feel more exhausted, more emotional, and reactive to situations in an angry mode like. Not because I am angry but more like desperate because I didn't learn yet how to ask for help and explain that I am not feeling well.
When I am in a place with lots of people, noise, lights and so on I feel I go in to what I call a zombie state, I move mechanically but my mind is completely empty ; if someone talks with me I can not really make sense what the conversation is about and I disconnect totally. Nothing makes sense, the purpose of existing disappears, everything looks shallow, unreal, unnecessary.
I use words only when necessary; I look at words with a lot of distrust.
If any of you is interested in practising telepathy please share your knowledge with me, I would love to communicate this way instead:)

Yes, usually when I'm upset or in a social situation with strangers. Also having a family, except for my dad and my brother, that doesn't listen and talks over the top of me makes it worse.

Absolutely. Its one of my primary signs of a shut-down when emotionally overwhelmed. I physically cannot speak; nor would I have anything to say. Mind is usually overloaded and racing too fast to even come up with a coherent sentence anyway. In those states I usually stare at a spot on the floor and go into lock down.

There's also the small talk scenario, whether running into a neighbor or something. This can be either having nothing to say/not knowing how to carry the conversation along, or simply not wanting to talk at all.

And yes, also the wanting to talk but not being able to spit it out or say it how I mean to. I've missed way too many opportunities and conversations in life because I couldn't spit anything out in real time.

New Threads

Top Bottom