• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Friendly World

George Newman

V.I.P Member
What would an ASD friendly world look like and is it possible? I understand the question is generic but as I understand how vast the spectrum is I just know the answers are just as vast.

There will never be such a thing as an ASD-friendly world. Or a blindness-friendly world. Or a world that gives a damn for anyone with any disability. My husband was blind, and he had to fight just for the right to attend college for a master's degree, in spite of having top grades in his bachelor's program. That was more than 50 years go. Just read and article in Huffington Post by a blind novelist who still suffers the same prejudices my husband did.

Wow. It's such an open ended question which is difficult to answer. I don't feel able to comment on how the world would look visually but i believe wholeheartedly that it would be a much safer, fairer and easier place in which to live.

For example. Those politicians with ASD wouldn't spend years sitting around endless tables discussing things and coming up with no ideas and thus not addressing issues like they do now. They'd sit round a table, be honest, straightforward and directly analyse the problem at hand and come up with a solution that is the best fit for the majority of society and then they'd move on to the next problem.

I would say (IMO) that the majority of people with ASD think along the same lines about many things and their sense of morality and justice overrules self gain and self promotion. So i would say it would be as close to a perfect world as you could get in that respect. In terms of the world being run by people FOR people instead of being run by people for THEMSELVES.

ASD people should head up all businesses, organisations, governments etc because they would then be making decisions that see the most benefit for the greater good instead of decisions being made to benefit a select few in society.

I would get rid of a lot of road signs and traffic lights but i'm not sure what that would do for road accident statistics! lol

Purely though that whenever i go out in the car the sheer number of lights and signs and markings everywhere are absolutely ridiculous and confusing. No need for a lot of them.

Anyway. That's my effort on the topic.

From my perspective it's quite simple to imagine what an AS-friendly utopia would look like.
Until the last few decades ASD was not really acknowledged other than the lower functioning, "classic autism" example, but a few AS/HFA people managed to work through their difficulties and make a contribution. In some cases (if the theories are true) they made massive contributions despite the odds being stacked against them and even being reported as oddballs and loners in the history books.
Since then we've been acknowledged as existing and can be "diagnosed" which is a term I find difficult to use because it heavily medicalises our differences which I believe is at the root of current perception. ASD can be seen as a disability, but in doing so it brushes the strengths many of us have to one side. We do not often get the opportunities to shine because the main focus is on the social aspects in which we are weakest, rather than the aspects of our minds which may be ahead of the curve. It's as if society values sociability above intellect (did I say "if" - LOL)
My forum name comes from my personal definition dividing the two sides. ASD has given me strengths and weaknesses. My weaknesses are what I think of as "Autistic" but my strengths are my "Autistamatic" side.
Like many of us, I would never want to sacrifice my Autistamatic skills and proficiencies in order to be less Autistic and fit in socially with less effort.
To me, an AS friendly society would be as aware and encouraging of our Autistamatic aptitudes as they are currently as aware (and frequently condescending) of our Autistic social difficulties. Neural Diversity is a fact of life - it's a variety of different ways of thinking and approaching the world that may differ from the modal average model of humanity.
An ASD friendly "ideal world" would see us not being crippled by an education system that holds us back from our interests and forces us to learn in a way which may slow us down. It would see employers actively seeking AS people for tasks which we may well be well suited to. It would be a place where we would not have to wonder whether to tell people we're different or hope they didn't notice.
There's still far too much prejudice in this world, and groups who have been fighting for equality for tens, even hundreds of years are still fighting for better acceptance, yet concerning ASD, we're barely out of the starting blocks.
Back in the sixties a man could be jailed in the UK for being gay. First the law changed, then attitudes (slowly) changed and now things are much better for gay people than they were back then. Homophobia is still a big problem, but it is less widespread and it is considered socially unacceptable in all but the most backward of communities and groups within western society. Being gay is still illegal in some countries, many religions frown on it, people still get discriminated against, even beaten by thugs for being gay, but the law and the consensus is behind the concept of diversity of sexuality being normal and acceptable.
Just reducing prejudice is an uphill battle, let alone eliminating it and I doubt we'll see a truly ASD-friendly society in any of our lifetimes. Maybe the Science Fiction writers are right, and it will take humanity teetering on the brink of oblivion before we achieve the impetus to find equilibrium. I'm still going to try, though...

Last edited:
Base the answer around the world being dominated by nts, I would say, that with a few adjustments, it would be as hard as it is with all nts getting on together.

Aspies get annoyed with aspies. I base this on going into youtube and watching videos with aspies talking. I can go on and on, and fumbling my way through something, but when I hear them doing it, I actually have to switch off the ramble! Of course, that is rather uncomfortable, knowing I am "guilty" of the same thing, but I do say, that when I am trying to form my words and cannot, I do apologise for it, because it sounds awful to me.

I think that being in a world, where nts are open minded in helping aspies; now that is something to behold.

Last edited:
An ASD friendly world for me would mean a world in which I had total control over my environment at home, at work, in the supermarket, etc. I cannot possible hope to control what happens in the whole world, but I can control my immediate personal space, and that is what I try to achieve as much as possible.

An ASD friendly world for me would mean a world in which I had total control over my environment at home, at work, in the supermarket, etc. I cannot possible hope to control what happens in the whole world, but I can control my immediate personal space, and that is what I try to achieve as much as possible.

Absolutely 100% agree with this Progster and is the way i go about my life also. I believe the primary source of my struggles and unhappiness are due to the fact that i find other people unpredictable and i can neither control nor predict their behaviour nor tell whether they have an agenda or not. Which is why i find many things extremely stressful.

A whole different planet with less raging sunshine and less biting cold and people who are sensitive. People who don't want to scream and yell and would NEVER in a million years even think to create something as stupid as a leaf blower. Would never consider making GEN-X chemical just so an egg can slide off a pan. Would never think of killing people en mass or letting them sit on the side of the road cold and in pain. Would never make trucks that blast through the streets. In fact, no streets.

A planet where people did not have to dominate and kill to survive.

Maybe NTs are here because this world is harsh. The are the ones who have had to kill or be killed. I thank NTs if that is case. They have made our world at least safe enough that I can sit in a ball and try to be safe.

Maybe somewhere in space. But I don't see it possible in any form on earth. The problem is our species is inherently too clannish/violent.

space.jpg

Maybe somewhere in space. But I don't see it possible in any form on earth. The problem is our species is inherently too clannish/violent.

View attachment 47371
Could be possible :) Maybe our genetic material is different and we can find our place ? Optimistic, not impossible.

What would an ASD friendly world look like and is it possible? I understand the question is generic but as I understand how vast the spectrum is I just know the answers are just as vast.
I couldn't begin to picture what an ASD friendly world would look like. I think this is partly because I am so jaded by the almost openly-hostile anti-ASD world we still live in. That much said this is food for thought because if I took the time to think about this, I might be better able to describe a work environment that would be better suited towards personal success.

I believe that most NTs accept the world as it is, complete with the "stacked deck" on racism and privilege. They are afraid to lose out in life if they don't learn to cheat and use favors to establish themselves in the world. The person who is on the spectrum can see the unfair distribution of wealth and power, and they want to chisel away at that. Most do it by enacting fairness in their lives. To others, kindness and fairness are signs of weakness and stupidity.

Anyone on the spectrum is seen as socially unfit to be part of any team. The NTs are highly competitive, so any opportunity to knock someone over is taken as an accepted form of moving forward to enhance civilization. Image is another concern for NTs. No matter how wrong you are, if you keep saying it, people are bound to believe you. Anything that benefits the ego is fair game.

Those of us with ASD play by different rules because we see the world beyond the individual. Nts don't care about the world. They care about getting something from their "entitlement". They don't root for the underdog - they want to smash the underdog. It proves their superiority.

Our kindness and consideration makes us unreliable as allies. They might humor us with false friendship and patronizing agreement. This is one example of how it is that we don't understand NTs. Their words can be intentionally misleading. We worry about our honesty and reputation for guarding the truth. That's like oil and water.

In the defense of NTs, they are expected to understand and accept something that is unclear and sometimes invisible to them. In truth, the majority of the world functions on the NTs level. We are expected to join them, or at least accept them. Everybody needs to spend time in one another's shoes.

From my perspective it's quite simple to imagine what an AS-friendly utopia would look like.
Until the last few decades ASD was not really acknowledged other than the lower functioning, "classic autism" example, but a few AS/HFA people managed to work through their difficulties and make a contribution. In some cases (if the theories are true) they made massive contributions despite the odds being stacked against them and even being reported as oddballs and loners in the history books.
Since then we've been acknowledged as existing and can be "diagnosed" which is a term I find difficult to use because it heavily medicalises our differences which I believe is at the root of current perception. ASD can be seen as a disability, but in doing so it brushes the strengths many of us have to one side. We do not often get the opportunities to shine because the main focus is on the social aspects in which we are weakest, rather than the aspects of our minds which may be ahead of the curve. It's as if society values sociability above intellect (did I say "if" - LOL)
My forum name comes from my personal definition dividing the two sides. ASD has given me strengths and weaknesses. My weaknesses are what I think of as "Autistic" but my strengths are my "Autistamatic" side.
Like many of us, I would never want to sacrifice my Autistamatic skills and proficiencies in order to be less Autistic and fit in socially with less effort.
To me, an AS friendly society would be as aware and encouraging of our Autistamatic aptitudes as they are currently as aware (and frequently condescending) of our Autistic social difficulties. Neural Diversity is a fact of life - it's a variety of different ways of thinking and approaching the world that may differ from the modal average model of humanity.
An ASD friendly "ideal world" would see us not being crippled by an education system that holds us back from our interests and forces us to learn in a way which may slow us down. It would see employers actively seeking AS people for tasks which we may well be well suited to. It would be a place where we would not have to wonder whether to tell people we're different or hope they didn't notice.
There's still far too much prejudice in this world, and groups who have been fighting for equality for tens, even hundreds of years are still fighting for better acceptance, yet concerning ASD, we're barely out of the starting blocks.
Back in the sixties a man could be jailed in the UK for being gay. First the law changed, then attitudes (slowly) changed and now things are much better for gay people than they were back then. Homophobia is still a big problem, but it is less widespread and it is considered socially unacceptable in all but the most backward of communities and groups within western society. Being gay is still illegal in some countries, many religions frown on it, people still get discriminated against, even beaten by thugs for being gay, but the law and the consensus is behind the concept of diversity of sexuality being normal and acceptable.
Just reducing prejudice is an uphill battle, let alone eliminating it and I doubt we'll see a truly ASD-friendly society in any of our lifetimes. Maybe the Science Fiction writers are right, and it will take humanity teetering on the brink of oblivion before we achieve the impetus to find equilibrium. I'm still going to try, though...
This site only lets you hit agree once. But agree agree agree. Kudos.

My grandson just came down to ask for a ride to work - so my current thought is that all people would know to give more advance warning when they need you to do something. :) (At least he has learned not to wait until the last minute though).
I think acceptance and understanding is the biggest thing. Acceptance is what is needed for any kind of prejudices (not having to condone things, but accepting that others have their own equal rights to agree or disagree, but still accept and respect.) And as @Tom said
The problem is our species is inherently too clannish/violent.

49573_6d58d95cebddecc53052d9e9ca600b0c.jpg
this world is becoming more and more violent and resistant to other ideas outside their own.
I've been pondering some thoughts on neurotypicals and (not meaning to offend any neurotypical) I've come to a conclusion. HFA thinking is more realistic because the details we pick up on and notice that NT's do not. While they are seeing what they perceive, I think we are seeing more of what actually is happening. I think we have more to contribute to the world than they will allow. And if they could see that and realize just how useful our way of thinking and seeing things can be it could make this world a better place to be. But first there has to be understanding of what autism is and is not.

I've just got to use this opportunity to add this. One of the things that drives me absolutely crazy about NT's I am around is lack of awareness of the reality of, well, anything. I have seen someone spend five evenings after work shopping with different friends and each time coming home with 2-3 bags of outfits, shoes, bags, whatever, then by the end of the week are saying they rarely go out shopping and haven't bought anything in so long. I just sit and think to myself - "What the heck? What reality do you live in?" Or stand there with their hand still in your piggy bank and say they are not. Or blame another person because they are not anywhere near these affectionate book characters or movie characters that they keep reading about or watching. I was with someone at an airport and she saw a young couple kissing and hugging as they were saying their goodbyes and she said that's what she wished her husband would do. She actually was mad at him for weeks because he didn't do that. I tried to explain that after being married 25 years you do act and do things differently than this young couple who may not even be married and you don't know what the circumstances are. I happen to like living in reality.

I think it's possible to create a world where most people strive to understand and accomodate diversity.

It would never be perfect, nothing ever is, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

Idk, but I can say the absolute last thing you want is a ASD only society.

I believe people here are sincere when they say autistics are more (insert positive attribute). But its still optimistic fallacy. ASD folks are just as bad as NTs, but their intensity, black and white thinking and poor logic skills makes them as a group much more unpredictable/dangerous at managing a society. Being society avoidant to begin with is not a good start.

Rather then some idyllic society, like the 'Shire' in the 'Lord of the Rings.' something chaotic and closer to 'The Lord of the Flies' is more probable.

New Threads

Top Bottom