• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You know because I've got that interview week after next, should I apply to anything else in between

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
If you've seen my latest Blog entry on here, you'll know I confirmed an interview for a Post Office job earlier, the interview's at 10 AM (5 AM Eastern) at a place on Brightside Lane, Sheffield.

Anyway, because there's a possibility I might not get that job, although I'm looking positively at the interview, should I apply for anything else in between?

I kind of already have done really, but not heard back yet from some of the good stuff (see one of my Blog entries from last week)

Yes! Of course we all hope you get the Post Office job, but it doesn't hurt to have something else in progress in the meantime. The more you throw at the wall, the better the chances of one of them sticking :)

Yes! Of course we all hope you get the Post Office job, but it doesn't hurt to have something else in progress in the meantime. The more you throw at the wall, the better the chances of one of them sticking :)

Well yeah I see your point, but on the other hand, if I apply for everything going that I have experience in and is the right amount of hours, if I get interviews for everything, it'd send both me and my Parents daft, all the interview prep and everything.

Need to stay positive though.

I would apply. ;)

In actual fact I've just applied on Indeed for a Christmas temp part time position in a camera shop.

I do actually know a bit about digital cameras as I've had a few... And a few years back I did a course in old school "dark room" based photography.

In actual fact I've just applied on Indeed for a Christmas temp part time position in a camera shop.

I do actually know a bit about digital cameras as I've had a few... And a few years back I did a course in old school "dark room" based photography.

We are the same age, I took those dark room classes in college. They where my favorite classes. :)

If you've seen my latest Blog entry on here, you'll know I confirmed an interview for a Post Office job earlier, the interview's at 10 AM (5 AM Eastern) at a place on Brightside Lane, Sheffield.

Anyway, because there's a possibility I might not get that job, although I'm looking positively at the interview, should I apply for anything else in between?

I kind of already have done really, but not heard back yet from some of the good stuff (see one of my Blog entries from last week)
It is always a good idea to put as many irons in the fire as possible. I do this. I sincerely hope you get this job as I think it might work out very well for you.

Always keep looking, that job interview might not work out, always keep trying... Job search itself should be a full-time "job"

Yes apply to as many jobs as possible.

You never know who will call you.

Yeah but like I said, on the other hand if I apply for everything going that I can do and suits me, and I get interviews, I'm kind of busy the next couple of weeks so it'd be hard to fit stuff in.

I've always had a hard time applying to other jobs while I'm interviewing for a job. But most people do that, and we should always be applying for as many jobs as we can. But your post has me understanding better why I have a tendency to avoid applying for other jobs, so I wonder if it is something that's difficult for us. And I appreciate understanding that this might be an issue.

It's great that you did go on and apply for another job!

I should probably add that I've only just realized that I probably have ASD and am finally able to make sense of my life after decades of not knowing what was "wrong" with me.

Janet

So true!!! In my quest since relocating I've lost count the number of applications I have submitted. I don't know if it's true, but I once heard that it takes about 100 applications before someone gets hired. Looking through my records I don't find that hard to believe.
A large part of that is where you live and what jobs you're applying for. Many menial jobs have a much smaller applicant to job ratio. The more sought after white collar jobs generally have larger applicant pools for fewer jobs. I know because I have tried to get back into IT and I see just how huge the pools are. Someone in HR told me that the sheer number of resumes they get for desktop support roles can be overwhelming. I really think we're in late stage capitalism where there just aren't enough jobs for people.

Oh, yes! I discovered that four years ago when I was looking for full-time work. It was difficult for everyone, including NTs, who were used to what I guess is now the "old-fashioned" system.

One thing I learned was important was using keywords in your resume and/or cover letter. I had a hard time with that. But the computers look for certain keywords, so it helps to hit on those. I hope my saying that doesn't cause more confusion than understanding. But if you do a Google search, I believe you will find out more about that, esp. on the job search sites like monster.com.

Janet

It has been over eleven years since I last pursued employment, so I was shocked at how it's being done now. It's all being done online and over the phone; and it usually involves dealing with people in several states. I've accepted two positions; one will hold me until the contract starts for the other one that pays much more. The second position was done completely online and over the phone. I won't see anyone face-to-face until I report for work. Apparently computers screen resumes and then forward them to a recruiter who schedules a phone interview to schedule yet another phone interview with someone else, etc, etc. I miss the days of going in and filling out an application and talking to someone then. It was easier, quicker, and made more sense.

New Threads

Top Bottom