• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are autistics drawn to bodies of water?

The most enjoyable form of water I find is rain - it's soothing and pleasant. I find looking at bodies of water calming. Being near a river however really unsettles me. I wouldn't want to live near the ocean. Perhaps by a lake, but not by a river.

I'm cautious when I'm near water as I had a rather traumatic experience once, when swimming in the sea and sinking down to my knees in some weird kind of sand. I thrashed and kicked and somehow I got out. I rushed back to the beach and my parents and never went in the sea again.

Whilst it was all said and done in 10 to 15 seconds, I never went in open bodies of water again. I'm also very cautious when I'm close to water. I don't like boats and I'd never go in a canoe or kayak. I suppose what's best for me is admiring the water from afar.

I think the most unnerving water I saw was on. Geography field trip. At the top of a very tall hill is a huge hole that goes into a cave. There is a waterfall going into this abyss and at the time there was no safety barrier or anything. Even approaching as close as 10 metres or so utterly terrified me.

geograph-2993850_cc261217-by-Karl-and-Ali.jpg

gaping_gill.jpg

Caves are another thing I find deeply unnerving.

Ed

Last edited:
I've heard many times that we are drawn to water and always tried to understand why.

Two theories come to mind.
The negative ions moving water creates is good for the body and nervous system.
This is the reason Niagra Falls is famous for lovers, dates and honeymoons.
The negative ions create good feelings that we may or may not be aware of thus releasing
the feel good hormones.

I love those ridged waterfalls that can be mounted on the wall and water flows continously down
into rocks then is recyled back up to keep the water falling.
I would have one in the house if I could afford it.

I do like the beach if it is in a natural state and not full of cabanas and people. I like the damp sand
at water's edge and nice clear blue water to float on or just stand in.
Some people do not like the salt in the sea, but, I do and how it feels on my skin as I dry off in the sun.
Being beside nice lakes is good too.
Although I don't care to be in them due to snakes, ameobas and alligators.

Second theory is it does make us think of the womb.
When I was a baby in one of those blow up baby pools about 5 inches deep, I remember being in one
and Mom had forgotten the towel. It was on the back porch not far away and when she went to get it
I had the thought I wanted to go under the water and breath!
She saw me slip under and grabbed me out before I drown.

Here are my two theories:
1. Water allows a stable, controlled rotation in any direction. For those of us who benefit from vestibular stimulus/stimming, this is awesome! It allows both gentle full body pressure and a completely controlled rocking in any way we want. Any direction. I can imagine this is very beneficial to the inner ear and that part of the brain that deals with direction and balance of the body.
2. There is a proven calming reaction in humans when water goes over their faces, called the diving response. Heart rate goes down as well as blood pressure, as well as lots of other physiological reactions designed to minimize the chances of drowning since the body thinks that's the only reason the head would be submerged. But it's a very interesting literal reaction we have to having water flow over our faces, barring any fear or discomfort that might overwhelm that. And in spite of it being a survival mechanism it has interesting, sometimes helpful effects.

I do not know if autistic folks are attracked any more then NT ones. Beach and Lake front properties are hugely popular as is visiting those places.

26virus-briefing-britain-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

I do not know if autistic folks are attracked any more then NT ones. Beach and Lake front properties are hugely popular as is visiting those places.

View attachment 63353

Exactly. Seems most everyone wants to live close to the water or at least have a view of the water. I have heard even apartments and condos with a view of the complex's swimming pool cost more.

I think we like all things from the natural world more than NTs. Since we have less interest in the human social world, this shouldn't be surprising.

I am the exception ATM in that i'm not drawn to water prehaps due to a childhood experience.......
I was 8 years old and a nun within a swimming lesson (catholic school) used a stick when i was scared and struggling to swim to 'motivate' and give me confidence in the water
This has left me with a fear of water, also my difficulties with co ordination makes swimming a struggle, that said i do enjoy the flow and sound of water.

I had sort of a similar experience with swimming lessons.

I think I was around 8 or 9, I dont quite recall, but the local community center (in a very rural, quiet area) was doing swimming lessons. My mom signed me up for... some reason.

Looking back now, it's very clear that they had no bloody idea what they were doing. My first "swimming" experience consisted mostly of being sort of yanked underwater while not yet holding my breath... you can imagine the stupid that resulted from this. Not a fun experience.

I ended up actually learning swimming entirely on my own. In a pool one day years down the line, just sort of lifted my feet from the pool floor and started kicking at and pushing the water. Kept this up until I could move freely. Which didnt take long.

So I avoided a fear of water, which is good. These days I'm particularly drawn to the ocean. Nothing else puts me in a good mood like that does.

Exactly. Seems most everyone wants to live close to the water or at least have a view of the water. I have heard even apartments and condos with a view of the complex's swimming pool cost more.

Oh yeah, the prices get REALLY crazy. It's even worse for beaches.

My family has a place down on an island that most people seem to have not heard of... it's a very small island. Thin. There's only room for exactly one main road.

It's a very expensive place to begin with, no matter what sort of house or condo or whatever you have.

But then there's the price jump across the road.

A house that might cost, say, $800000 on one side of the road (and it's NOT a big house) would cost an absurd 3 *million* if it was on the OTHER side of the road, the side closest to the beach. With no changes to the house itself.

Think about that: It's a difference of... well... the width of a small, single lane road. That's it. So it's like, 5 seconds less of a walk to the beach? But the price jumps up by millions. And that's not an exaggeration either.

Completely ridiculous. I mean, it doesnt matter where you are on that island: walking to the beach hardly takes any time at all. But such a price jump for being on a specific side of a very normal road? I just... I dont get it. And no, these houses dont necessarily have an actual direct view of the water. They're just on the other side of the road.

I'm not sure I even want to understand. It's a headache waiting to happen. I can only process so much dumb.

Those beaches...it's like flies to a pile of dung :eek:

Can't recall ever being drawn to water growing up so I guess I'll be an exception. That, and the fear of drowning in anything deep really turned me off to it. Not to say I don't enjoy swimming though and that fear of drowning has subsided since, just not keen on taking that risk though.

Oh yeah, the prices get REALLY crazy. It's even worse for beaches.

My family has a place down on an island that most people seem to have not heard of... it's a very small island. Thin. There's only room for exactly one main road.

It's a very expensive place to begin with, no matter what sort of house or condo or whatever you have.

But then there's the price jump across the road.

A house that might cost, say, $800000 on one side of the road (and it's NOT a big house) would cost an absurd 3 *million* if it was on the OTHER side of the road, the side closest to the beach. With no changes to the house itself.

Think about that: It's a difference of... well... the width of a small, single lane road. That's it. So it's like, 5 seconds less of a walk to the beach? But the price jumps up by millions. And that's not an exaggeration either.

Completely ridiculous. I mean, it doesnt matter where you are on that island: walking to the beach hardly takes any time at all. But such a price jump for being on a specific side of a very normal road? I just... I dont get it. And no, these houses dont necessarily have an actual direct view of the water. They're just on the other side of the road.

I'm not sure I even want to understand. It's a headache waiting to happen. I can only process so much dumb.
It's you're own private stretch of beach. You can't just walk up to your neighbor's beach unless you are real friendly. Secondly I'd also like to point out if you look in certain areas it's not that expensive.

When I couldn't sleep I used to drive to the lake and quietly watch the distant lights on the gentle waves. I spent many mornings waking up after. What's not to love about it?

This is a pic of Iron Gate Reservoir near my land taken in May 2018 during the brief interregnum from the drought. Sadly the earthen dams along the Klamath River are unsafe and are likely to be ripped out since the cost of demolition would be cheaper than the cost of bringing them up to current codes. :(:mad:

lago.JPG

I have heard a theory that at one point in the very distant past humans were amphibious or semi-acquatic creatures. We were that way long enough so that the genetic adaptations we evolved largely stayed with us. Our bodily features suggest that we stayed in water most of the time.

Los Angeles beaches are simply an extension of the overcrowded hell-on-earth of the city. Horrible.

It's you're own private stretch of beach. You can't just walk up to your neighbor's beach unless you are real friendly. Secondly I'd also like to point out if you look in certain areas it's not that expensive.

Actually, it's not private beaches. There arent any sections on that island that feature that. When I said the island is small, I meant *really* small. In order for tourists to be able to do anything, there's just no room for private beaches. Hotels (usually small ones, but there are many of them) sort of co-exist on the same sides as these houses. All of it is public beaches, and that's exactly what makes it so bloody strange.

As it is, from our residence, we just cross the street and walk right past those houses. Usually, there is a sort of odd, constricted yet shaded path going between them (and there are many of those paths all over the island), complete with a paved walkway and occaisionally a bench and table. And then you're on the beach behind those places. The fact that the beach itself is a bit odd adds to it. It's got random blobs of tall grass and tends to be covered in mysterious spiky things, I never figured out what those are but you really dont want to step on one. You have to walk some distance to get past the spiky minefield. I got one stuck in my foot once, that was fun. As it is, the extra nice beach sections are typically behind hotels, or a couple of public parks.

But yeah, that entire island is bloody expensive. Which includes for tourists, if you're going to stay there be prepared to spend a few thousand. I think the reason is purely that it's so ridiculously tiny (neighboring islands are a little less pricey? I think? I dunno, I'm not a house scientist). There's no room for more stuff on it and simply not alot of residences available, and limited hotel rooms even, so if you're going to buy even a tiny place, you're going to have your finances sucked out of your ears. It's the sort of tiny where they dont even have a freaking Walmart. No Walmart! I tell ya, a place has to be REALLY freaking small for that company to have not sunk their shadowy claws into it. Almost uncivilized. Seriously I've never quite mentally gotten past that part. A place without a Walmart is hard for me to conceive.

I always thought it was a natural thing for human beings in general to be drawn to the beauty and the properties of water anyway, not especially particular to autistics. I don't know, though. Maybe to a minority, water is just dihydrogen monoxide . . . ?

I always thought it was a natural thing for human beings in general to be drawn to the beauty and the properties of water anyway, not especially particular to autistics. I don't know, though. Maybe to a minority, water is just dihydrogen monoxide . . . ?
Hmm, that might very well be the case. However, It also seems that a huge portion of autistic people seem to be drawn to the water. I don't think that's the same with the general population.

Im going to say something really weird below...

I love the sound of Rain, I like to swim...

When i take a shower, i like to sit in the tub and put my hands over my ears as the shower beads down on my head, it makes it sound like it is raining.

I dislike being wet for long periods.

I am afraid to go into lakes or non-salted bodies of water due to the real fear of brain-eating Amoebas.

I am the exception ATM in that i'm not drawn to water prehaps due to a childhood experience.......
I was 8 years old and a nun within a swimming lesson (catholic school) used a stick when i was scared and struggling to swim to 'motivate' and give me confidence in the water
This has left me with a fear of water, also my difficulties with co ordination makes swimming a struggle, that said i do enjoy the flow and sound of water.

Did the nun hit you with the stick?

New Threads

Top Bottom