• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are autistics drawn to bodies of water?

Oh yeah, the prices get REALLY crazy. It's even worse for beaches.

My family has a place down on an island that most people seem to have not heard of... it's a very small island. Thin. There's only room for exactly one main road.

It's a very expensive place to begin with, no matter what sort of house or condo or whatever you have.

But then there's the price jump across the road.

A house that might cost, say, $800000 on one side of the road (and it's NOT a big house) would cost an absurd 3 *million* if it was on the OTHER side of the road, the side closest to the beach. With no changes to the house itself.

Think about that: It's a difference of... well... the width of a small, single lane road. That's it. So it's like, 5 seconds less of a walk to the beach? But the price jumps up by millions. And that's not an exaggeration either.

Completely ridiculous. I mean, it doesnt matter where you are on that island: walking to the beach hardly takes any time at all. But such a price jump for being on a specific side of a very normal road? I just... I dont get it. And no, these houses dont necessarily have an actual direct view of the water. They're just on the other side of the road.

I'm not sure I even want to understand. It's a headache waiting to happen. I can only process so much dumb.

Better view of the incoming tsunami or hurricane ;0)

Seriously, I would love to live near a warm climate ocean, but you can live in like the mid west US which only has occasional tornados to worry about for so, so much less.

Last edited:
Better view of the incoming tsunami or hurricane ;0)

Seriously, I would love to live near a warm climate ocean, but you can live in like the mid west US which only has occasional tornados to worry about for so, so much less.

Aye, that's true.

And I hate every inch of it.

The midwest, I mean.

Just thinking about it gives me an eye twitch.

My parents always wonder why my mood is so consistently bad. I dont even answer anymore, I just point at a window.

I do not know if autistic folks are attracked any more then NT ones. Beach and Lake front properties are hugely popular as is visiting those places.

View attachment 63353

Very true, but I think we are more dangerously attracted to water especially as children.We took my son to the harbor yesterday to visit some friends who were fishing and it took every ounce of strength from both my wife and I to keep him from jumping into that very deep water. Needless to say we didn't stay long.

Everyone is drawn to water. It sparkles!

No wait, it's the other way around: we, humans, like sparkles because water sparkles. That makes it visible in the landscape. If water was a dull black we'd be drawn to dull black. We'd design dull black jewlery and wear it to galas.

Allistics have this James Dean thing about never showing that they're drawn to anything, so you have to account for that when researching who's drawn to what.

Aye, that's true.

And I hate every inch of it.

The midwest, I mean.

Just thinking about it gives me an eye twitch.

My parents always wonder why my mood is so consistently bad. I dont even answer anymore, I just point at a window.

I was looking up unususual things found on beaches and this is really sad

I hate water. I hate moisture. I have trouble showering because of this. I have trouble with intimacy because of this. i find this surprising that there is an agreement that large bodies of water is cool, when it terrifies me because theyre so powerful, and wet.

There are all kinds of sensory stimulation around water but it isn't the chaotic stimulation of random human stuff. The lapping of waves is very regular soft white noise. The breeze, the sun and the warm sand, and the calling of gulls is very pleasurable. The feel of textiles is annoying to many of us but the feeling of water flowing against the skin has no roughness. I also think the playfulness of water is something many neurotypical people find undignified or childish leaving us high functioning folks feeling judged a bit.

The best swimwear is no swimwear.

hmm Interesting THIS CALLS FOR A POLL.
I was very clumsy and uncoordinated as a child. (Probably still am today.) It was difficult to learn to swim and for a long time, I could only dog paddle. It took me years to learn the sidestroke and then the breaststroke and finally the crawl.

I was able to swim underwater the full length of an Olympic pool before I developed the ability to keep my head above water in coordination with taking breaths. That level of coordination that other people do effortlessly was insanely difficult for me. I persisted only because I enjoyed the water so much. I still don't do any swimming in surf.

Now I like water. I shower every day and like swimming and diving in the Adriatic sea, but it wasn't always like that, At the age of 3 I didn't want to go to sea and just played in sand on the beach and also hated bathing. At the age of 8 I went to swimming school (that was mandatory in 2nd grade of primary school) and hated it, at the end I failed to learn to swim. I learned to swim around the age of 10 and to dive at the age of 15. My biggest problem was the fear from water. Now I enjoy swimming and diving, but I am still afraid of jumping into water

I want you to know that when you say "bodies of water" I envision human bodies made of water.

I learned to swim around the age of 10 and to dive at the age of 15. My biggest problem was the fear from water.

I managed to learn the dog paddle by age 12 after a barely successful swimming class. I was able to swim underwater without a problem. It was the coordination of breathing with stroking that always did me in. The timing would get off and I'd end up floundering. The dog paddle keeps your head above water all the time, avoiding this. Since I could swim underwater for quite a long way, I felt comfortable diving in the deep section. I'd touch bottom, shoot back to the surface then swim to the edge while holding my breath.

Something like the ocean would be frightening if you weren't careful. There's only one direction to go safely. Anything else could take you into deep water. There's also the possibility of a rip-tide one has to be careful about. Any kind of surf messes with my ability to breath.

I think everyone is drawn to water, it seems to have a soothing effect and I'm certain studies back this up, even just close to it without necessarily going into it...

I don't swim much, I do know how to, but always find a walk along a river or lake to be enjoyable... And I also like walking on frozen ice in winter, when it's thick enough to do that safely...

New Threads

Top Bottom