• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are autistics drawn to bodies of water?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member
This is from my YouTube channel "Aspie With Attitude" where I recently uploaded a video about why children who are on the autism spectrum are drawn to water.

I haven't found many videos from autistic YouTube creators explaining why autistics, especially young children on the autism spectrum are drawn to bodies of water. There were plenty of information on useful websites that I had found on Google since I wanted to make this video on the subject.

I am myself as an adult, 40 years old feel that I get drawn to water. I love going for a swim and frolic in the water. It's been my joy in life and still have sensory challenges personally, I haven't mentioned in the video what my personal choice of swimwear are, it's very quirky. I like to make videos of myself for the channel of my swimming or frolicking in the water, I can't at the moment due to the pandemic.

I go to pools regularly and I also like swimming in clean safe bodies of water. As a 40 year old adult, I still like frolicking on inflatable devices and due to the wide range of sensory stimulation, this is why I love water so much.

This is from my YouTube channel "Aspie With Attitude" where I recently uploaded a video about why children who are on the autism spectrum are drawn to water.

I haven't found many videos from autistic YouTube creators explaining why autistics, especially young children on the autism spectrum are drawn to bodies of water. There were plenty of information on useful websites that I had found on Google since I wanted to make this video on the subject.

I am myself as an adult, 40 years old feel that I get drawn to water. I love going for a swim and frolic in the water. It's been my joy in life and still have sensory challenges personally, I haven't mentioned in the video what my personal choice of swimwear are, it's very quirky. I like to make videos of myself for the channel of my swimming or frolicking in the water, I can't at the moment due to the pandemic.

I go to pools regularly and I also like swimming in clean safe bodies of water. As a 40 year old adult, I still like frolicking on inflatable devices and due to the wide range of sensory stimulation, this is why I love water so much.
What isn't there to be drawn to. The water is awesome. :cool: I think the question should be why aren't you drawn to the water. smh neurotypicals these days :rolleyes:

My son is drawn to water. He once escaped the yard and jumped into the canal next to our house. It was a 2 meter drop into shallow water, followed by 3 deep sections that were over his head. It took me a half an hour to find him and it was the most frightening thing in my life to date. I don't know how he didn't either break a leg or drown.

Water has always been comforting to me. When I was younger I was almost convinced I was really part of the water or a sea creature as I felt more connected to water than to people. The main issue is I can't stand water on my face but I have a swim mask that covers both my eyes and nose so I am ok.

Water is just comforting. I like the feeling of being off the ground and floating a bit and the water flowing around me. Every pool,lake,puddle,rainstorm,hose,sprinkler,running tap etc I would be there. There were not places for me to get hurt with bodies of water when I was younger but I scared my parents a few times being outside in bad storms. Once it starts raining even now it's hard not to run outside even if it's not that safe to do so.

Not sure why I feel connected emotionally but it's most likely that it was the most calming thing in my life even when people were not.

Totally agree. l feel a deep need to live by the ocean. It's where l am happiest. My world can be upside down and backwards but the ocean helps calm me.

Water has always been comforting to me. When I was younger I was almost convinced I was really part of the water or a sea creature as I felt more connected to water than to people. The main issue is I can't stand water on my face but I have a swim mask that covers both my eyes and nose so I am ok.

Water is just comforting. I like the feeling of being off the ground and floating a bit and the water flowing around me. Every pool,lake,puddle,rainstorm,hose,sprinkler,running tap etc I would be there. There were not places for me to get hurt with bodies of water when I was younger but I scared my parents a few times being outside in bad storms. Once it starts raining even now it's hard not to run outside even if it's not that safe to do so.

Not sure why I feel connected emotionally but it's most likely that it was the most calming thing in my life even when people were not.
I agree, with this. The water calms me too.

Last edited:
Bodies of water hold a tremendous amount of deep low energy. In that respect, I too find them calming. But at the same time, bodies of water can be rough, stormy and dangerous (meltdown?). I've lived close to large bodies of water most all of my life and I feel incomplete when I'm away from them.

I love rain.
Water is not my thing, I used to say-- I hate the beach and the people it attracts, and I do not care for swamps. Then I think of nice lakes & clear places and desire that.

The dangerous attraction is more common for [ASD]2s & 3s. 1s will take a little more care in that pursuit.

It may remind us of being in the womb.

I don't like swimming pools much and I find being on a boat boring.

But I do like being by the water and walking along the shore. Where I live there are 3 ocean nearby beaches, the marina, a wide river, two lakes and an island I like to spend time around. The ocean beaches here are not like the huge crowded sandy ones in California. They are much more rustic.

I'm drawn to water, too. I find it very calming. Plenty of beaches near where I live, in fact, today I plan a walk along the beach.

I am the exception ATM in that i'm not drawn to water prehaps due to a childhood experience.......
I was 8 years old and a nun within a swimming lesson (catholic school) used a stick when i was scared and struggling to swim to 'motivate' and give me confidence in the water
This has left me with a fear of water, also my difficulties with co ordination makes swimming a struggle, that said i do enjoy the flow and sound of water.

I am the exception ATM in that i'm not drawn to water prehaps due to a childhood experience.......
I was 8 years old and a nun within a swimming lesson (catholic school) used a stick when i was scared and struggling to swim to 'motivate' and give me confidence in the water
This has left me with a fear of water, also my difficulties with co ordination makes swimming a struggle, that said i do enjoy the flow and sound of water.
hmm Interesting THIS CALLS FOR A POLL.

Snohomish county, Washington.
full
(My oldest [a daughter] was born in Olympia, when we lived in Tumwater [1984].)

New Threads

Top Bottom