• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which Kind of Dating Profile Do You Prefer?

Do you prefer to read...

• longish, in-depth dating profiles

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • short, light-hearted dating profile

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • short, deeper dating profiles

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
When you read dating profiles, do you prefer those that are longish and give lots of information about the user, or shorter profiles?

If you prefer the later, would you prefer to read short profiles that are fun, light-hearted, and attention-grabbing (like a television or radio commercial), basically only touching on things such as job, musical tastes, and a few hobbies, but not a lot of info about the user's personality? Or do you prefer the short profiles that briefly mention topics that are "deeper", perhaps more relevant to compatibility, such as religion, political views, and goals in life? Of course, you could prefer a combination of the two, but which aspect is more attractive to you?

I prefer the last option: she actually says something without it being a wall of text.

Of course, I actually read the profiles, which puts me ahead of 95% of guys if anecdotal evidence from my friends says anything. o_O

I prefer one that's multiple pages, lol

But in all seriousness, I like a profile that gives me some basic information that can be summed up in bulletpoints (age, location, children, and whatever else you have) and below that some text that comes across as interesting and paints me better picture how this person is in life.

I don't mind a wall of text, but at least it should be a good read. I've seen plenty of these texts which were outright horrible, uninspiring and made me want yell out loud "why would anyone ever want to date you?!"

The thing with short profiles is that it doesn't always paint a good picture. If I were to judge someone on their musictaste, I'd probably be missing out on certain things, just because even preference in music seems hard to judge someone on. I can like certain music for very specific reasons which might not even reflect the general group who is into those genres. And that's where it starts when you go into short bulletpoints.

Yes, of course you could chat with someone and that's what usually happens... but as much spare time as I have, I still don't want to waste it on someone with whom I most likely wont connect but just looks pretty

I chose the short deeper dating profile, even though I've never been on a dating site.

Those page long descriptions are actually preferred by me but as I can't seem to remember the beginning when I'm halfway they aren't an option.

And for those commercially styled descriptions, I think they are a lie and let you imagine an image too good to be true, so it can only be lower than your expectations.

I like the long, wall-of-text profiles as long as they are organized into paragraphs, but sometimes I'll read profiles or even forum posts that aren't paragraphed (is that a word?) if the content is interesting. When people provide lots of non-shallow personal info in their profiles, it's refreshing and pretty much the only time I find people interesting. I feel confident deciding whether to contact them or not. Most profiles I come across leave me with a sense of boredom and dissatisfaction, feeling like I still know absolutely nothing about the person.

Tot
Only four votes? My poll is lonely.
Totally agree. 99% of profiles on personal ads are generic. Boring. Always thinking the grass is greener, so women flirt with lots of men, while shallow men judge purely by looks and what they imagine. The prettier women tend to be empty in personalities as they never developed it beyind their make up, which the media and mags brainwash them to wear in public at all times, or they lack confidence. And men undress women everyday, flirting on dating sites with false truths. If 90% of people were really like their generic profiles, they wouldnt be single in the first place. Everyone lies unfortunately, and so everyone hurts sooner or later.

I like short funny ads. Long serious ones are frightening to me. I met one woman because she posted a short funny ad with a very humorous reference using a line from a film. In person she was funny, had a great warm smile and a lovely laugh. We dated for about two months.

I chose the last one. I'm a writer, a blogger, an rper... word limits are my game. ;) If you choose the right diction, you can form coherent sentences that explain things well without writing a wall full of text.

Then again, I also like to put everything up front, too, and meh. At least I would know about everything before contacting them, you know?

[QUOTE="bentHnau, light-hearted, and attention-grabbing [/QUOTE]

Well Bethnau I'm going to go sideways a little here if you don't mind. I think light hearted may be mandatory for all, because it says I'm fun and I'm not a stalker, who's going to show up with a wedding ring or wedding dress.:confused: Some people think a long profile is, (I'm cute, I drink beer, and I eat food). Basically it comes down to if your a hot republican guy, who's looking to score, than why ruin you're odds with cute liberal Berkly chicks with too much offensive info. On the other hand if you're looking for true love, a plain guy or girl might have a better chance with showing their values and interests to attract a like minded person. This however takes more courage as dates will be fewer. So it's quality verses quantity.o_O Personally I go for playful honesty if that isn't good enough, it was going to crash and burn anyways. Unwillingness to meet me halfway is my deal breaker, learned that one the hard way.:confused:

Last edited:
I chose the last one. I'm a writer, a blogger, an rper... word limits are my game. ;) If you choose the right diction, you can form coherent sentences that explain things well without writing a wall full of text.

Then again, I also like to put everything up front, too, and meh. At least I would know about everything before contacting them, you know?

Hey Effy boiling things down to their pure essence is a art form that takes time to perfect. Makes for a good writer if you do tho. I'm a cards on the table kind of person too, it would seem we are in the minority in the world. Is, (meh) appropriate there? I love that word meh..meh reminds me of a sheep. ha ha! sorry couldn't resist:D bad Mael Aaah! now I'm going to hear a sheep every time I see my screen name, my evilness is ruined.o_O

Last edited:
I prefer one that's multiple pages, lol

Someone just like yourself, dude. :p

I'm middle of the road. I would like them to be open about some things, but if they tell you everything at once then you have nothing else to talk about. The short ones and one-liners, I believe, sound like what a salesman would do and they are just trying to sell themselves to as many people as possible. It really takes something to put yourself out there and open up to strangers and say some things about yourself that is more in depth. It's a fine line - too little info and I wonder what they are hiding and too much info and it's too overwhelming. It should be fun to get to know someone and they shouldn't be so closed that trying to get to know them is like pulling teeth - too exhausting.

Last edited:
Someone just like yourself, dude. :p

I'm middle of the road. I would like them to be open about some things, but if they tell you everything at once then you have nothing else to talk about. The short ones and one-liners, I believe, sound like what a salesman would do and they are just trying to sell themselves to as many people as possible. It really takes something to put yourself out there and open up to strangers and say some things about yourself that is more in depth. It's a fine line - too little info and I wonder what they are hiding and too much info and it's too overwhelming. It should be fun to get to know someone and they shouldn't be so closed that trying to get to know them is like pulling teeth - too exhausting.

The way you put it I would think that if someone were to give a multiple page profile of herself, that I would know everything.

I guess I'd like someone to be able to write books about herself and still be enticing and wanting me to ask questions. Perhaps I like a certain complexity in my women, lol. If you can't make me think you're to be summarized in a 15 part book series, the series is still on-going and me wanting more... I'll gladly pass.

If I look at my own dating profile(s), which are quite long... if someone doesn't take time to read it and feels overwhelmed chances are we won't be a good match either. Most likely because the way a profiletext of mine would seem like I'm rattling off information to someone, is not even close to what I'll be in person. In person I'll probably be chucking information at someone easily twice the speed... if anything, I guess intense does summarize me quite a bit, lol. So I suppose that regardless of content, a large wall of text does tell more about me.

New Threads

Top Bottom