• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When special interests are your only reason for living

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
Special interests have always been my main autistic trait. If my parents tried to take them away from me like I hear some parents do, I probably would have attempted suicide. Ever since I learned what a veterinarian was and that the role wasn't restricted to the lady we took our pets to once a year or even just pets, I always wanted to be one myself. But since I wasn't good at math I was told I couldn't be one.

I eventually realized I had dyscalculia and could get help for it and that a pre vet major wasn't ALL math like my mother made it out to be. I got sick around 15 due to some meds I was taking that were supposed to help me sleep but actually made me do nothing but sleep, and then again at 20 when taking one for anxiety that made me dizzy all the time to the point I couldn't walk.

People were telling me I was too old to apply for veterinary school. That didn't make since but I asked the American veterinary association and they said there isn't one and that they prefer applicants that are in their 30's and 40's over the typical 20's something. So people can't hold that over me any more. But honestly, if I could never be a vet for whatever reason, I possibly would kill myself. Let me have my dreams people. Let me work to obtain them even if they aren't possible for me. Let me THINK they are possible. Don't try to kill them at 4 like my mother tried to do because it was something she couldn't do.

But become a vet is pretty much my only reason for living. I tried to explain it to my mother and she just went on about how I will go to Hell if I kill myself. I wasn't saying I wanted to kill myself, I was saying that becoming a vet is the only reason I haven't tried yet and that I don't appreciate her not supporting me. Oh, and there is no limit for how many times you can apply for vet school. I heard of a lady with lots of educational disabilities who tried five times before getting accepted. She eventually got in and now works with special needs animals. I wish I could remember her name. It was on a show called "Animal Miracles" hosted by Alan Thicke on a defunct TV channel called "Pax". Anyway if she can do it so can I. I just wish people would accept the fact I will spend my whole life trying to be a vet and wish they would stop telling me to do other things. They don't get it that THIS is what I want to do and pretty much the only reason I choose to live.

I don't have any dreams anymore that are so intense. When I was young I used to think that I had to be a scientist or I'd die. That didn't work out. Then it was a professional photographer. The funny thing about that is that I made it (on a small scale doing portraits weddings and anything else that came my way) but doing it for money took all the joy out of it. My clumsiness and lack of social skills kept me from making it at a professional commercial studio. Took a couple of years but that dream ended as well.

Don't imagine that you will die if your way is blocked. You are more resilient than that.

Being a vet is something you can do at any age. First, you have to get a BS (preferably in biology) at a 4-year institution and then apply to veterinary school. To my knowledge, super-advanced math is not a requirement but something more advanced than basic algebra is probably required. (It wasn't when I looked into a BS in biology but that was 40 years ago.)

Vet school is actually more difficult than studying to be an MD because you have so many different animals to understand. Everything's biology is different. There are plenty of vet assistant jobs, wildlife biology jobs, lab jobs, zoo jobs, animal handling and training jobs, so even if you don't get into vet school, there are still paths forward. Many of those don't need an advanced degree but a Master's always helps.

Good luck with your dreams!

Last edited:
I don't have any dreams anymore that are so intense. When I was young I used to think that I had to be a scientist or I'd die. That didn't work out. Then it was a professional photographer. The funny thing about that is that I made it (on a small scale doing portraits weddings and anything else that came my way) but doing it for money took all the joy out of it. My clumsiness and lack of social skills kept me from making it at a professional commercial studio. Took a couple of years but that dream ended as well.

Don't imagine that you will die if your way is blocked. You are more resilient than that.

Being a vet is something you can do at any age. First, you have to get a BS (preferably in biology) at a 4-year institution and then apply to veterinary school. To my knowledge, super-advanced math is not a requirement but something more advanced than basic algebra is probably required. (It wasn't when I looked into a BS in biology but that was 40 years ago.)

Vet school is actually more difficult than studying to be an MD because you have so many different animals to understand. Everything's biology is different. There are plenty of vet assistant jobs, wildlife biology jobs, lab jobs, zoo jobs, animal handling and training jobs, so even if you don't get into vet school, there are still paths forward. Many of those don't need an advanced degree but a Master's always helps.

Good luck with your dreams!

If being a vet doesn't work out, I'm planning on being a wildlife rehabilitor or focusing on my art. But I just wish people would stop telling me to give up on being a vet because of how hard THEY think it will be. Vet school being harder than human medical school seems like one of those opinion things. For someone who just doesn't like animals, vet school would be hard. But for someone who loves learning anything they can about them it would be challenging, but not insanely impossible like people make it out to be. It seems like everyone wants to tell me I can't do anything THEY deem too hard. Human medical school would be insanely hard for me because I don't like humans very much; but then again I'd never apply for human medical school.

Most people who are or were vet students said it was hard because they didn't really get to socialize that much and probably would have been better at human medical school. But I've said it before and I will say it again, human beings, especially NT ones are very strange. I just wish people would let me persue being a vet and make my own decisions before telling me to give up because it wouldn't work out for them.

Oh and thank you!

Go for it. Keep trying.
Impossible dreams require unstoppable wills.
Love your avatar by the way.

Last edited:
If being a vet doesn't work out, I'm planning on being a wildlife rehabilitor or focusing on my art. But I just wish people would stop telling me to give up on being a vet because of how hard THEY think it will be. Vet school being harder than human medical school seems like one of those opinion things. For someone who just doesn't like animals, vet school would be hard. But for someone who loves learning anything they can about them it would be challenging, but not insanely impossible like people make it out to be. It seems like everyone wants to tell me I can't do anything THEY deem too hard. Human medical school would be insanely hard for me because I don't like humans very much; but then again I'd never apply for human medical school.

Most people who are or were vet students said it was hard because they didn't really get to socialize that much and probably would have been better at human medical school. But I've said it before and I will say it again, human beings, especially NT ones are very strange. I just wish people would let me persue being a vet and make my own decisions before telling me to give up because it wouldn't work out for them.

Oh and thank you!
Unfortunately, you have run into people who confirm that where there is a will, there is a won't. The proper response to this is: "Illegitimi non carborundum!" or Don't let the bastards wear you down!

Last edited:
I don't know why people feel the need to stomp on the dreams of others. You can do literally anything you want- you may come across some unique challenges that NT individuals wouldn't have to deal with, but nothing that can't be worked around. Don't mind them- perhaps their intent is in the right place, but I let a teacher discourage me from writing when I was in highschool and I regretted putting it to the side for years until I finally sucked it up and continued writing. I felt really silly that I let her discourage me from something I loved. People don't seem to understand how important the things others love can be to their identity, so while they maybe discourage to reduce disappointment or because their desired path isn't financially prosperous, or they don't yet have the skills to be successful is doing a service, it can be really crushing. Keep going- you're never too old! A friend of mine with similar challenges (undiagnosed, but fairly certain they are on the spectrum) was homeless and an addict for most of their life, finished highschool in their 30's and now have a doctorate. Good luck on your journey!

I was told in high school to get a job when I finished because I wasn't smart enough to go to university. Now I have a degree in psychology. I even got through statistics (very math heavy) on my first try.

You write intelligently and with passion. I think you'll get there despite what those in rl say.

;) Animal riddle..

If a Gopher could go for it, how many goes would a Gopher go for?

As many as it takes! So go for it. Keep the dream alive.

NEVER EVER stop dreaming about youre goals as its this that gives you the strength to keep fighting towards them.

I even have it my papers (when they diagnosed my Mild ID ) that i wouldent amount to anything or make it in the working world BUT i DID regardless the very small odds (only to later have to step down again from working my self to an early grave) BUT the important thing here i GOT to the top of my dreams i MADE it. As can and will you so GO for it and dont stop keep trying.

Last edited:
Even if you fall short of a DVM degree, there's plenty you can do with animals with even a BS in veterinary science. You could do animal research, and I don't mean the evil stuff where animals are tortured with chemicals as part of cosmetics testing but research towards improving the lives of animals. You could be a surgical assistant at a vet hospital. You could do all sorts of fulfilling animal work even if you don't get accepted into a DVM program. I want you to pursue your dream as the rest of us here do, but I don't want you to feel like a failure if for some unforeseen reason you fall short of a doctorate.

I totally get where you are coming from....I would be hard pressed to be happy if I couldnt spend so much of my time on my special interest which is animal behaviour and animal keeping. I also always dreamed of being a vet....then I started uni and found it wasnt for me because I needed a more practical interaction with the animal as a whole, instead I moved to more practical animal professions and worked as a vet tech for several years. Eventually I went back to uni studying animal behavior and now work in behaviour management and animal training - a perfect fit for me. My point: if you know which direction you want your life to go, it will go there, but it may take a path you did not anticipate but would not want to miss! Enjoy the ride :)

Uh, thanks for the advice about what to do instead if I don't make it to veterinary school. I know your hearts are in the right place; but honestly I do not appreciate it when people tell me what I could do instead. One of my problems related to this issue is people telling me what I could do instead. Veterinary technician, assistant, researcher, zoo keeper, etc. DVM or VMD is my goal, my only goal. I'll most likely be an assistant for training and experience, that is if if I can ever find a vet who will give me the chance. I was having problems with this pre covid. Thank you, but DVM is my only goal. Than maybe move to South Africa and work at this meerkat rehabilitator. They actually let you hold and touch them unlike at a zoo. I don't like zoos. They don't let you touch the animals. Even the little ones that can't seriously hurt you. If all I can do is look, I might as well save my money, stay home and just watch YouTube.

Love your avatar by the way.

My friend from DeviantArt did it for me.

Last edited:
Of course you should go for your DVM by all means, we just don't want you to think your life is not worth living just in case it doesn't work for you. We're just concerned for you when you say that your only reason to stay alive is to get your DVM. We're just noting that life doesn't always go as planned. I know that from hard experience. By no means am I or the rest of us telling you that you "can't" get your DVM, by all means go for it, and you definitely have the smarts to pull it off. It's just that when you infer that your life will be over if you don't get there we get worried.

My parents were told that I would forever be a worthless lump who would forever be stuck in his childhood bedroom and not be able to get a college degree or be of any worth to society. I mostly proved them wrong, except for getting a job. If people irl are telling you that you don't have the capability to be a vet, by all means show them both of your middle fingers and then ignore them. We are NOT telling you that, we are just saying that it always helps to have a Plan B, especially when you start saying your life will be over if you don't get 100% to your goal. We're concerned, that's all.

Of course you should go for your DVM by all means, we just don't want you to think your life is not worth living just in case it doesn't work for you. We're just concerned for for you when you say that your only reason to stay alive is to get your DVM. We're just noting that life doesn't always go as planned. I know that from hard experience. By no means am I or the rest of us telling you that you "can't" get your DVM, by all means go for it, and you definitely have the smarts to pull it off. It's just that when you infer that your life will be over if you don't get there we get worried.

Because becoming a vet pretty much IS my main reason for living. Why can't people accept that? Unlike my mother, my reason for living isn't to stand there looking at trees. Yeah, she never would listen to me when I told her how depressed I was. Just told me she would call the police and have me locked up if I didn't stop telling her and that I would go to Hell if I killed myself so I stopped telling her how depressed I was. I'd go to a therapist if I could find one that understood autism in adults and didn't lie about it. But I'm convinced such therapists don't exist, not on my insurance anyway. I feel all a regular therapist would do is try to talk me out of being a vet or having a plan B. I don't need to pay someone to hear that.

I'd go to a therapist if I could find one that understood autism in adults and didn't lie about it.

I understand where you're coming from as there are definitely many doctors, psychologists, and counselors who might have some understanding, but aren't really into it.

Two authors whose books I've recently read or are reading provide counseling and therapy services with experience / specialty in adults on the spectrum. Both are doing online/video sessions and taking clients.
Kathy J. Marshack, Ph.D. – Licensed Psychologist
Eva Mendes LMHC, NCC Experienced Couples Counselor

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from as there are definitely many doctors, psychologists, and counselors who might have some understanding, but aren't really into it.

Two authors whose books I've recently read or are reading provide counseling and therapy services with experience / specialty in adults on the spectrum. Both are doing online/video sessions and taking clients.
Kathy J. Marshack, Ph.D. – Licensed Psychologist
Eva Mendes LMHC, NCC Experienced Couples Counselor

Even if they are great, I couldn't afford them. Government issued insurance for poor, unemployed folk only covers doctors and therapists in THEIR networks. And anyway, what would they do? Tell me I need a Plan B? Like I said, I don't want a Plan B. Plan B districts from Plan A; and I just wouldn't be happy being a veterinary technician. Very few veterinary technician programs let you keep your credits. If you wanted to go for DVM after getting a vet tech diploma, you'd have to basically get your associate's degree twice. Where I live, vet assistants are basically techs if they have connections with the vet. Seems like you can only be a janitor in a vet's office if you have connections with the vet. My mom won't talk to her vet friend on my behalf.

Why not do the vet tech program first? At least that way you’d get a lot of experience under your belt before you go on to veterinary school. Every vet I’ve ever known has done that. So what if you have to repeat some classes? It will also give you a better chance at getting into a program if you have the tech.

New Threads

Top Bottom