• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When special interests are your only reason for living

Generally speaking, it might be harder to get into a field at a later age if you haven't already started, but it can happen. Maybe that's why some people say it can't happen. Kinda like saying one can't start being a medical doctor at 40 or 50. I'm not sure about being a veterinarian- I believe schooling is generally 2-4 years, but being a medical doctor or lawyer is generally like 10 years, and starting that later in life is hard to be able to make that work because of the funding and time to get to that level (or if you can manage scholarships or potentially taking on debt with financial aid/loans etc.)

Even if they are great, I couldn't afford them. Government issued insurance for poor, unemployed folk only covers doctors and therapists in THEIR networks. And anyway, what would they do? Tell me I need a Plan B? Like I said, I don't want a Plan B. Plan B districts from Plan A; and I just wouldn't be happy being a veterinary technician. Very few veterinary technician programs let you keep your credits. If you wanted to go for DVM after getting a vet tech diploma, you'd have to basically get your associate's degree twice. Where I live, vet assistants are basically techs if they have connections with the vet. Seems like you can only be a janitor in a vet's office if you have connections with the vet. My mom won't talk to her vet friend on my behalf.

Admittedly insurance coverage varies greatly, but even then, there are a lot of guides and resources available as well that may not have fees attached.

I understand you say that your mother isn't willing to speak with her friend. But that wouldn't stop you from approaching them, or anyone else on your own, would it? Sometimes we have to take some steps outside of our comfort zone to get where we want to go. Perhaps there might be organizations (and not necessarily local) who can help with contacts and information?

As you noted yourself, age is not something that would hold you back. Many professional programs want their students to come from a variety of walks of life, and so being a mature student with an unorthodox background can actually be a potential advantage. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you try talking to as many admissions advisors at as many schools as you can (and even consider overseas ones, if the credentials are portable back home - I know of MDs who went to schools in the Caribbean or Australia before returning for their residency) to see what they want, and make yourself as suitable and as interesting a candidate as you can.

As @paloftoon noted, the main disadvantage with starting later is that you may have less time to actually work in the field. But if that's what you want to do, then by all means go for it! I've seen many people in their 60s retire, and then venture out to start a completely new career out of personal interest. And if there's one thing people on the spectrum are good it, is getting really good at their special interests.

I want to add to @Stardust Parade's comments and agree that it's not unusual for people to take a longer path to a certain career.

I'll use nursing as an example. The standard path to be an RN (registered nurse) in my area is to complete a 4 year BScN degree. Some enter from high school, whereas others may have other backgrounds and experiences.

But it's quite common for many to spend ~1.5 years to get a certificate in being a care aid, another ~1.5 years from there in a bridging program to become a practical nurse, then 2.5-3 years in another bridging program to get their four year degree and become a registered nurse.

And many of those in the path are working along the way - which helps them earn money and gain experience in related fields that helps both solidify their school applications and confirm their interest in the field. And for those doing the program part time, the completion times can be even longer.

There are also many who take the long path who were trained as and have experience as a RN overseas, but on not having their credentials recognized here, started over from scratch. I take inspiration from their efforts and dedication and hope you do as well.

okay- l like to see the most gorgeous man on the planet. No certificate. No payoff. No nothing. Just being overwhelmed with feeling complete. It's okay- l accept all the criticism directed at me.

Why not do the vet tech program first? At least that way you’d get a lot of experience under your belt before you go on to veterinary school. Every vet I’ve ever known has done that. So what if you have to repeat some classes? It will also give you a better chance at getting into a program if you have the tech.

Because most vet tech programs credits are only specific to that program; they don't carry over to a another school or program for a bachelor's degree. Basically, I would have to get my associate's degree twice. Also, most of the tech programs around me only cater to typical age high school kids. Plus, vet tech schools also want you to have some experience in a vet's office before applying to their school and I couldn't find a vet who was willing to let me in exchange for so much as free janitor work.

Where I live, a vet assistant is basically a tech that had hands on training and never went to school for it. They basically do everything a tech does...and in some rural areas (which I live) they might as well be techs. Every vet assistant I knew got the job because they had a relative who worked at that particular vet's office or had a relative who was friends with the vet. I need help on what to say and how to say it when asking. Where my mom could help me. I have a VERY monotone voice, despite all the speech therapy I had as a kid and am deeply self conscious about it.

I’d suggest looking for ANY kind of veterinary job experience you can get, even if means being a janitor in a vet’s office. You might have to think outside the box a little. Also, there are bachelor’s degree programs to become a vet tech. They do exist, I just think the associate degree programs are more common.

If you want this bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get there. My dad’s best friend is/was a vet and the first job he got before even becoming a vet tech was a janitor in a vet’s office cleaning cages and feeding the animals.

And you’ll need to learn to speak for yourself rather than have your mother do it for you if you want to succeed at anything first which I’m sure you can learn how to do.

The desire is there, you just need to make a plan to figure out how you’re going to get there.

I’d suggest looking for ANY kind of veterinary job experience you can get, even if means being a janitor in a vet’s office. You might have to think outside the box a little. Also, there are bachelor’s degree programs to become a vet tech. They do exist, I just think the associate degree programs are more common.

If you want this bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get there. My dad’s best friend is/was a vet and the first job he got before even becoming a vet tech was a janitor in a vet’s office cleaning cages and feeding the animals.

And you’ll need to learn to speak for yourself rather than have your mother do it for you if you want to succeed at anything first which I’m sure you can learn how to do.

The desire is there, you just need to make a plan to figure out how you’re going to get there.

I don't mind being a janitor. I used to volunteer at a small outpatient vet's office, but that was several years ago and I saw the vet neuter a cat without proper anesthetics. The cat SCREAMED. I was told it was normal and that the cat was just "high". Since he was the vet, I figured he knew what he was talking about and took his word for it. My job consisted of cleaning tables and holding up the tails of dogs when they needed their anal glands cleaned. That only happened when the other vet was there and I honestly think he just made that up for me so I would feel included. It was such a small office there was literally nothing for me to do.

They told me they would give me training, but they never did. I couldn't make it to the main hospital everyday because it was over two hours away, both ways via bus, and by the time I got there, everything was over. If I did want to get there when everyone else did, I would have to catch a bus at 3:AM...the buses did not run that early. None of the other vets on my bus route would take me. I asked at least 3. I also moved back in with my parents after there was an arson in my apartment building and a stabbing on my street.

But yeah, being a janitor doesn't bother me. If I was cleaning at a people hospital, nursing home or daycare center, it would be a different story. Human excrement really freaks me out, but cleaning up after animals never phased me. I honestly found the smell of the cat litter worse than the actual cat excrement. I honestly used to like the scent of cat urine. I remember walking around the cat house at the zoo thinking, "What is that wonderful smell?" Than a few years later, we get a kitten who goes through the spraying phase and I remembered the "wonderful" smell from the zoo and realized what I was actually smelling. Honestly, it still never bothered me that much. I don't think I've ever encountered an animal smell that was repulsive.

I don't mind being a janitor. I used to volunteer at a small outpatient vet's office, but that was several years ago and I saw the vet neuter a cat without proper anesthetics. The cat SCREAMED. I was told it was normal and that the cat was just "high". Since he was the vet, I figured he knew what he was talking about and took his word for it. My job consisted of cleaning tables and holding up the tails of dogs when they needed their anal glands cleaned. That only happened when the other vet was there and I honestly think he just made that up for me so I would feel included. It was such a small office there was literally nothing for me to do.

They told me they would give me training, but they never did. I couldn't make it to the main hospital everyday because it was over two hours away, both ways via bus, and by the time I got there, everything was over. If I did want to get there when everyone else did, I would have to catch a bus at 3:AM...the buses did not run that early. None of the other vets on my bus route would take me. I asked at least 3. I also moved back in with my parents after there was an arson in my apartment building and a stabbing on my street.

But yeah, being a janitor doesn't bother me. If I was cleaning at a people hospital, nursing home or daycare center, it would be a different story. Human excrement really freaks me out, but cleaning up after animals never phased me. I honestly found the smell of the cat litter worse than the actual cat excrement. I honestly used to like the scent of cat urine. I remember walking around the cat house at the zoo thinking, "What is that wonderful smell?" Than a few years later, we get a kitten who goes through the spraying phase and I remembered the "wonderful" smell from the zoo and realized what I was actually smelling. Honestly, it still never bothered me that much. I don't think I've ever encountered an animal smell that was repulsive.
Ok... but you’ve just given a bunch of reasons of why you can’t do any of the things that were suggested to you. If you were really serious about being a vet you’d have dealt with all the things you say you “can’t do” and found a way to work through them. Just saying.

Ok... but you’ve just given a bunch of reasons of why you can’t do any of the things that were suggested to you. If you were really serious about being a vet you’d have dealt with all the things you say you “can’t do” and found a way to work through them. Just saying.

I'm trying, really trying. I try all of these and either they don't work or I don't have a way to access them. I live in the middle of nowhere with no car.

There's no reason in the world that you can't get your DVM and become a vet if that's what you want to do.

Any reason for living is a good reason for living, even if others don't 'get it'. There have been times when my special interests have been the only thing that kept me putting two feet on the floor every morning. Those times didn't last, but they got me through to times when I wanted to live for life's own sake.

There are a lot of things I wanted to do in life that I never pursued. Most of them are things I was interested in, but lost interest in because I was discouraged or outright forbidden from doing them. One example was figure skating - I loved watching the figure skaters on TV, and always dreamed about being one of them. When I was all of...maybe 8 or 10 years old, my parents said it was "too late" because in order to be one of those skaters "you would have had to start when you were two". (I now know that was a ridiculous thing to say. I also now know that my parents discouraged me from anything expensive, because we didn't have money. Rather than say "sorry honey we can't afford it" they made up some cockamamie story about how those skaters I admired were ripped from their homes as toddlers by a communist government and forced against their will to become skaters, and it was too late for me, I would never measure up to them. What a crock of excrement.)

I notice in your profile that you are about my age. There's no reason why you can't, at your age, become a veterinarian. Since you live in a rural area, and most people get into veterinary work due to family ties in your area, you may be unable to get there where you live - you may have to move to somewhere with better opportunities (it sounds like your mother is quite toxic so it would be better for you to move away from her anyway - so there are two good things about moving). So your first step may be to figure out how to move to somewhere with better opportunities in the field - and start working on your DVM from there. Other commenters have it right when they say you might have to think outside the box a bit - but that doesn't mean you can't get there. It's going to be harder than it would be if you had family connections to veterinary work, but that's not too much of an obstacle. You're just going to have to work around it.

So? How exactly am I supposed to apply anywhere when everything is closed due to Covid? I guess everyone else who is stuck at home due to Covid is just being "lazy" too. Good to know.
You could be researching university programs online for your bachelors degree and narrow down what you want it to be in. Make an appointment with a career counselor at one of them to discuss your options and have them help you map out a plan.

Special interests have always been my main autistic trait. If my parents tried to take them away from me like I hear some parents do, I probably would have attempted suicide. Ever since I learned what a veterinarian was and that the role wasn't restricted to the lady we took our pets to once a year or even just pets, I always wanted to be one myself. But since I wasn't good at math I was told I couldn't be one.

I eventually realized I had dyscalculia and could get help for it and that a pre vet major wasn't ALL math like my mother made it out to be. I got sick around 15 due to some meds I was taking that were supposed to help me sleep but actually made me do nothing but sleep, and then again at 20 when taking one for anxiety that made me dizzy all the time to the point I couldn't walk.

People were telling me I was too old to apply for veterinary school. That didn't make since but I asked the American veterinary association and they said there isn't one and that they prefer applicants that are in their 30's and 40's over the typical 20's something. So people can't hold that over me any more. But honestly, if I could never be a vet for whatever reason, I possibly would kill myself. Let me have my dreams people. Let me work to obtain them even if they aren't possible for me. Let me THINK they are possible. Don't try to kill them at 4 like my mother tried to do because it was something she couldn't do.

But become a vet is pretty much my only reason for living. I tried to explain it to my mother and she just went on about how I will go to Hell if I kill myself. I wasn't saying I wanted to kill myself, I was saying that becoming a vet is the only reason I haven't tried yet and that I don't appreciate her not supporting me. Oh, and there is no limit for how many times you can apply for vet school. I heard of a lady with lots of educational disabilities who tried five times before getting accepted. She eventually got in and now works with special needs animals. I wish I could remember her name. It was on a show called "Animal Miracles" hosted by Alan Thicke on a defunct TV channel called "Pax". Anyway if she can do it so can I. I just wish people would accept the fact I will spend my whole life trying to be a vet and wish they would stop telling me to do other things. They don't get it that THIS is what I want to do and pretty much the only reason I choose to live.

I don't know about it being a special interest, but my music absolutely became a lifeline after my mom took my books away when I was 12, and refused to let me have any alone time except for bedtime. There was a time I could identify any current country music song on the radio within a second or two. And I spent a lot of time in my later teens thinking about what I absolutely could not do without if my parents (well, mom, really) took it away, the way the seemed to be determined to take away everything that was important to me. Music was one of my absolutely necessary things. Not telling what the only other thing was. Yet.

Generally speaking, it might be harder to get into a field at a later age if you haven't already started, but it can happen. Maybe that's why some people say it can't happen. Kinda like saying one can't start being a medical doctor at 40 or 50. I'm not sure about being a veterinarian- I believe schooling is generally 2-4 years, but being a medical doctor or lawyer is generally like 10 years, and starting that later in life is hard to be able to make that work because of the funding and time to get to that level (or if you can manage scholarships or potentially taking on debt with financial aid/loans etc.)

So what am I supposed to do if I can't do all that? Becoming a veterinarian is my only reason for living. I already feel like I'm walking on a tight rope and when I read things like this, it gets shorter and shorter. People who try to "help" just want to talk me out of wanting to be a vet instead of helping me. If they truly wanted to help, they could talk to a vet for me about getting a kennel cleaning volunteer job and vet tech training (lots of rural places train their "techs" themselves.) But noooo, they just want to talk me out of being a vet....making me just want to kill myself sooner. I don't think therapists truly want to help me.

So what am I supposed to do if I can't do all that? Becoming a veterinarian is my only reason for living. I already feel like I'm walking on a tight rope and when I read things like this, it gets shorter and shorter. People who try to "help" just want to talk me out of wanting to be a vet instead of helping me. If they truly wanted to help, they could talk to a vet for me about getting a kennel cleaning volunteer job and vet tech training (lots of rural places train their "techs" themselves.) But noooo, they just want to talk me out of being a vet....making me just want to kill myself sooner. I don't think therapists truly want to help me.

If you have or have the means to make money, even say as a grocery store, you can save your money up for veterinarian school. Then get your credentials through schooling and achieve your dreams, but later in life. You can't expect people to just simply help you - ultimately, you have to "help" yourself. You know you want to become a veterinarian now, and there's nothing wrong with that. So, you're right- since you know want you want, do whatever legal means necessary you can to make that dream a reality.

If you have or have the means to make money, even say as a grocery store, you can save your money up for veterinarian school. Then get your credentials through schooling and achieve your dreams, but later in life. You can't expect people to just simply help you - ultimately, you have to "help" yourself. You know you want to become a veterinarian now, and there's nothing wrong with that. So, you're right- since you know want you want, do whatever legal means necessary you can to make that dream a reality.

I agree, there will always be people who try to talk you out of things they don't agree with. If it's something that's really important to you, and reasonably possible, then you just have to keep going and keep trying, and not let anyone talk you out of it. ('unreasonable' would be things like living on another planet in the near future, or becoming a professional athlete if you have absolutely no coordination, or something like that).

You hear all the time, in the music business about people who have become recording artists (sometimes very successful ones) when everybody in their life was always telling them they'd never make it, and it was too hard. For that matter, I think a number of actors have the same story. If you want something bad enough, and you're passionate enough about it, don't let anyone stop you from pursuing it. Even if you don't succeed, you've been doing something you love, which makes life worthwhile.

New Threads

Top Bottom