• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's Good Today?

Even though I've been sick, I have had such wonderful bonding time with my daughter lately. Whether it's knitting, cooking together, watching Disney movies, playing board games or video games, taking stargazing walks, or going to the archery range, we've just gotten so close.

She's my little sweet heart forever and ever.

I have been so weak and dizzy lately, sleeping almost all the time. But this afternoon, my cabin fever got the best of me, and it was either go mad with boredom, or get out and see the world.

So my daughter and I walked this evening through pitch black woods with only moonlight and our eyes adjusting to guide us. It was so peaceful, but a little tiny bit scary. A bat came out of the trees and chased us down the trail. I haven't screamed like that in years. It was really funny, looking back.

Then we walked all the way home (I was in my wheelchair, my daughter on foot), I think like 2 miles at least, uphill. We ate at Burger King on the way home and they gave us free nuggets.

It was so cold out! I almost couldn't handle it, but I'm now rewarded with three big fat comforters, and a warm, snug home. I'm actually snuggling right now with my daughter, and we're warming each other's feet up. Brrrrr!

Last edited:
Today was really nice. We woke up early and then took a late morning nap.

In the mid-afternoon, we got dressed and went down to the little old town area. We visited an antique mall and looked at beautiful minerals and gemstones, and petted a whitetail deer pelt.

We found a sticker there for "The Last Jedi", a movie we both despise (except for the Reylo scenes). I touched the sticker and then tagged my daughter and yelled "Last Jedi touch!" She yelled "Heyyyy!" and then tried to give it back to me, but I had my fingers crossed. "No fair!", she playfully pouted, until I reminded her that I touched the sticker first, which meant I already had The Last Jedi Touch. So we went outside and found stuff to give the touch to, so we wouldn't have it anymore. I gave it to an old sign, and she gave it to a cruddy looking leaf sorta hanging sadly on a tree. It was very funny.

After a while, we meandered down our favorite trail that winds next to the creek. Slowly we made our way to the church where my kiddo goes to youth group. We made lots of jokes about knocking on the youth leaders' front door (they live on the church property), and asking to go to the bathroom in their house (if you think about the grammar of that sentence, it implies just randomly, on the floor or something). It was funnier in person, and better laughed about with a teenager. I guess you had to be there.

On the way back, I saw the moon raise above mackerel sky clouds, so beautiful and big and yellow. It was so silent and fair. I'm very thankful for my wheelchair. I want to get out of it. It's really my life goal right now, and I am walking more and more, but the pace is slow. Nevertheless, I'm so happy I have it. I can go anywhere, do anything, and really experience life with my daughter, where when I was very sick, I was homebound.

So she's at youth group now. She'll be home in about a half hour. I went to the store and now I'm chilling in my p.j.'s (nothing finer!) and I think I'll do some knitting in a minute.

Swam with my open water swim group, for first time in three weeks. We, often, meet on Sundays, however, I worked throughout the past three weekends, so it was really nice to meet up with them, again.

We are supposed to have an abundance of rain in the coming days. I love the rain, and we are, definitely, in need, here.

What a nice idea for a thread, by the way.

Last edited:
Who can sleep? I am riding on an adrenaline high!

I woke up at one a.m. to my daughter screaming. She had forgotten to set her alarm on her phone, so she did that and then checked her messages. A counselor from the best college in the region, and one of the best in the nation (in a list that includes Stanford and Harvard) had messaged her to let her know that she had been accepted!!

How wonderful!

A blessing on her head for success and wealth, all the days of her life!

New therapist I had my first session with yesterday feels like she might be the best therapist I've seen thus far. Going with my gut on this one.

Ed

A beautiful, warm, sunny Florida day and breakfast at First Watch.

I saw a field of shiny black angus cattle next to the road I was driving and two huge
Sandhill cranes. A lot of Osprey also.

I started the day waking up to a loud explosion. A powerline blew out on the corner, and we had an outage for hours. So, after getting tired of going to the bathroom by candlelight, and not having anything hot to eat, we went down to McD's for breakfast, where we ate yummy breakfast sandwiches, and drank coffee that tasted like gasoline. And then it was onto the creek trail through the little forest, for a nice walk to the library.

In the forest, we saw seventeen ducks in the creek, all swimming in a line. I sang gently to them, and they all started quacking and came up the steep bank, and waddled to us. One female especially liked my singing. She sat there right in front of me, looking at me, with her ear cocked towards me to hear my song.

After a while, the duckies left to continue their parade downriver. In the woods we saw woodpeckers, juncos, crows, ravens, and scrub jays. As each bird sang, we would quietly and tenderly sing along to the "beat" of each birdsong, filling in the empty spaces with our own melodies, sort of like soft jazz. It caused most of the birds to pause on a nearby branch or on the ground to listen. Squirrels liked our songs too.

Then we went to the library, where I encouraged my daughter to try something new. She has taken 5 years of Spanish, and just finished 12th grade Espanol, so I brought her into the Children's room, and we found the libros en espanol. I challenged her to read as many books in spanish as she could, so she'd be ready for college spanish. She selected Percy Jackson, and she's going to try to read the whole series in spanish. She says that she understands most of it. She knows all the verbs. It's just a few nouns that she hasn't learned, but the rest of the text is so easy to understand that she can figure it out.

They also have the Harry Potter series en espanol, and that's another one that'd be fun to try. We found a Carmen SanDiego book. It was titled "Donde esta Carmen SanDiego?". My daughter is so silly. She looked up at me with mock concern and sadness in her playful eyes and said, "Everyone always asks, 'Donde esta Carmen SanDiego?', but no one ever asks 'Como esta Carmen SanDiego?".

Once we got home, my daughter went into another room, and I felt so energetic. I jumped from my wheelchair and snatched up the walker. Before she could come out of the other room, I jogged out the door with the walker. I went up and down the driveway, in the bright sunshine. I felt so proud of myself, because it's been hard to walk since my last illness. But I just felt so amazing today. Maybe it was the gasoline coffee? Maybe the rejuvenation of being in the woods, among the animals? Or perhaps the fact that my daughter was the first person on the planet to truly ask with deep compassion, "How is Carmen SanDiego?"

All I know is the power is back on, I have a smile across my face, and my daughter is watching The Incredible Hulk smash the living daylights out of Loki. Life couldn't be better.

Last edited:
Once we got home, my daughter went into another room, and I felt so energetic. I jumped from my wheelchair and snatched up the walker. Before she could come out of the other room, I jogged out the door with the walker. I went up and down the driveway, in the bright sunshine. I felt so proud of myself, because it's been hard to walk since my last illness. But I just felt so amazing today. Maybe it was the gasoline coffee? Maybe the rejuvenation of being in the woods, among the animals? Or perhaps the fact that my daughter was the first person on the planet to truly ask with deep compassion, "How is Carmen SanDiego?"

All I know is the power is back on, I have a smile across my face, and my daughter is watching The Incredible Hulk smash the living daylights out of Loki. Life couldn't be better.

This is the best news I've heard all day. Thank you for sharing, YD!!

I have to do a zoom chat in a few minutes. And you know what? I've found the silver lining.

I brushed my hair and teeth and put a nice sweater over my nightgown, and I'm sitting in my plush, over-pillowed bed, waiting for a very professional zoom chat to start, and the other person will never know what cozy luxury I am sitting in right now. For all appearances, I am business casual and sitting at a table.

Blessings:

I got a plexiglass insert with a hole in the middle for my a.c., so it looks all professional, and blocks the heat.

REAL steak was bogo at Freddy's so I got good thick steaks for real cheap. No hamburger here!

I am resting while my robotic vacuum does all the work. It looks like a little roly poly bug. And I swear it's a toddler or a puppy. Every few minutes I have to go over and ask "Okay, what do you have in your mouth this time?" lol

I later cleaned the filter, and read a little notice that was printed on it. "When In Trouble, The Goovi Robotic Vacuum Will Emit A Series Of Bees." That gave us a good laugh. All I can say is "God bless China."

The sunny day cooled off and now it's lovely out.

I had salad and pasta for dinner.

There is ice cream in the freezer.

A certain someone (who is normally a sweet heart to be around) realized how irritable they were, and so they quarantined themself in their bedroom so that I can have peace.

I didn't even have to use my A.K., I have to say, today was a good day.

Last edited:
I started the day waking up to a loud explosion. A powerline blew out on the corner, and we had an outage for hours. So, after getting tired of going to the bathroom by candlelight, and not having anything hot to eat, we went down to McD's for breakfast, where we ate yummy breakfast sandwiches, and drank coffee that tasted like gasoline. And then it was onto the creek trail through the little forest, for a nice walk to the library.

In the forest, we saw seventeen ducks in the creek, all swimming in a line. I sang gently to them, and they all started quacking and came up the steep bank, and waddled to us. One female especially liked my singing. She sat there right in front of me, looking at me, with her ear cocked towards me to hear my song.

After a while, the duckies left to continue their parade downriver. In the woods we saw woodpeckers, juncos, crows, ravens, and scrub jays. As each bird sang, we would quietly and tenderly sing along to the "beat" of each birdsong, filling in the empty spaces with our own melodies, sort of like soft jazz. It caused most of the birds to pause on a nearby branch or on the ground to listen. Squirrels liked our songs too.

Then we went to the library, where I encouraged my daughter to try something new. She has taken 5 years of Spanish, and just finished 12th grade Espanol, so I brought her into the Children's room, and we found the libros en espanol. I challenged her to read as many books in spanish as she could, so she'd be ready for college spanish. She selected Percy Jackson, and she's going to try to read the whole series in spanish. She says that she understands most of it. She knows all the verbs. It's just a few nouns that she hasn't learned, but the rest of the text is so easy to understand that she can figure it out.

They also have the Harry Potter series en espanol, and that's another one that'd be fun to try. We found a Carmen SanDiego book. It was titled "Donde esta Carmen SanDiego?". My daughter is so silly. She looked up at me with mock concern and sadness in her playful eyes and said, "Everyone always asks, 'Donde esta Carmen SanDiego?', but no one ever asks 'Como esta Carmen SanDiego?".

Scrub Jays. How Lucky! I've only seen one when I was checking out the Lake Wales Ridge. I enjoy Jays.

Even though I've been sick, I have had such wonderful bonding time with my daughter lately. Whether it's knitting, cooking together, watching Disney movies, playing board games or video games, taking stargazing walks, or going to the archery range, we've just gotten so close.

She's my little sweet heart forever and ever.
I have the feeling that you have raised your daughter to be her own person, and probably autonomous. And, with the interests that you have given her, she is going to be a wonderful woman. Should a relationship be in her future, I think you probably have taught her to recognize people who are accepting and real, by example. If my surmise is correct I think you are giving her the confidence and skill to make good choices. Our world needs more women like her.

Last edited:
In the midst of utter despair, hopelessness and feelings of helplessness and grief, this year, I have spent lots of time in bed all day, relapsed on drugs many times.

I don't judge myself for this because relapse is part of recovery.

Anyway, today, I had no drugs, I told myself that laying in bed excessively is going to make me even more depressed than I am, and went to bed in the early hours of this morning, hoping I could tell myself this today when I woke.

My mood was low when I woke, I could have quite easily stayed in bed, thinking, what is the point?, yet, I do not want to make myself physically ill as well as mentally ill, so I got up, went for a walk, chanting the Maha Mantra (the thing the Hare Krishna's do) - I'm not a Hare Krishna, I'm not even religious, I do believe in God though, and Krishna is God, so I hope Krishna (God) didn't mind me chanting the mantra as I walked, it relaxed me a bit.

I then had a meal at Wetherspoons pub.

I went to the arts centre I do go when I manage to get out - early closing, because of this ruddy jubilee bank holiday, malarkey.

I went for a read in the park.
I then went for a cuppa at Costa and talked to 2 new people I had never met, which was nice in the sun.
I then went to Tesco to get some food, and talked to some people in the park I knew for a little bit.
I came back and sat in our lovely nature garden at the end of our block, and talked to an ex-neighbour and his mate.
Did a bit of tidying up at home, washed up a bit.

This is all small stuff for most people, yet for me, I feel like it's a big achievement compared to laying in bed until evening time, which is what I have been doing for many days this year.

Last edited:
Doing restoration on a slab of fossils that was broken during shipping into three pieces. This is a couple of Selenopeltis trilobites with a lot of brittle stars - pre damage. Echinoderms like brittle stars are fragile and rarely fossilize well.

received_1032138714264267.jpeg

I'm roasting another batch of coffee beans today since I was running low. Organic coffee. Ugandan for caffeinated and Sumatran for decaf (CO2 decaf process method rather than solvents). I freshly grind 4 Tablespoons of whole caffeinated beans and 2 Tablespoons of decaf beans every morning for my drip brewing and have one large strong cup of black coffee that the 6 Tablespoons of whole beans make.

Absolutely perfect day and I can hide in my book cave guilt free because chores are done and I have the day off.

New Threads

Top Bottom