• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What should I wear to my job interview this Friday?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I’m being interviewed for a job as a museum preparator, and I’m wondering what I should wear. The museum is dedicated to the Doukhobors, a Russian religious community that set up base in my region for awhile. Would wearing a suite be appropriate or would it be too over-the-top or pretentious? Should I be more casual? What is your advice?

Whatever @Au Naturel says maybe disregard. His suggestions maybe perfectly comfortable but you may not get the job. Lol.

If you can stroll thru there, you can see what staff wears. You can also call front desk and ask what employees wear. You can go online and see if staff is shown.

But l would guess conservative like banker lawyer look, with black low heel, toe covered shoes. Hair pulled back, minimal jewelry and natural makeup, neutral fingernail polish. You can't go wrong.
And don't forget to smile☺

Whatever @Au Naturel says maybe disregard. His suggestions maybe perfectly comfortable but you may not get the job. Lol.

In consideration of their history I was actually going to suggest in jest a birthday suit.

Seriously though, can't go wrong with a business suit, though semi-formal is probably okay.

I'm assuming this is the larger one in Castlegar? Haven't been to it though I've been to the one in Grand Forks.

In consideration of their history I was actually going to suggest in jest a birthday suit.

Seriously though, can't go wrong with a business suit, though semi-formal is probably okay.

I'm assuming this is the larger one in Castlegar? Haven't been to it though I've been to the one in Grand Forks.
I just checked that site out. They are my kind of protestors!

What do the staff seem to wear? You have been already i guess? Good luck with your interview!

I’m being interviewed for a job as a museum preparator, and I’m wondering what I should wear. The museum is dedicated to the Doukhobors, a Russian religious community that set up base in my region for awhile. Would wearing a suite be appropriate or would it be too over-the-top or pretentious? Should I be more casual? What is your advice?

You said Doukhobors? :) You'll find a few vintage photos in this photoset, pictures my dad took in the late 1950's in the B.C. interior and the prairies, yes he was Russian but not Doukhobor, and a part time preacher... Pictures By My Dad, 1957 to 1961 @VictorR

More on the topic - I've always been told to dress one level up for the job you are applying for, ie. whatever you might wear for work, dress a little better

And I believe at least some Doukhobors know about these photos, based on what I've seen on a page of links...

Last edited:
Leather shoes, dress socks, slacks, a button up collared shirt, and a blazer. Make sure it's all ironed. Good luck!

Remember, your image is your commodity. Sell your image. Be the face of the museum. Make them believe they need you at first sight!

A suit is the typical attire for an interview, as far as I'm aware. I prefer 3 piece suits myself, and I take great care with colour schemes for shirts, ties, socks and such like. Not to have it all matching - but to ensure that it compliments and adds to a general theme.

The only thing I do to jazz up my look is a little pin badge on one of the lapels of my suits. As I like birds, I have different badges of birds. Subtle, yet quirky.

original_seagull-with-a-stolen-chip-fun-enamel-pin-badge.jpg

Ed

I would wear something similar to this:

https://www.josbank.com/p/1905-coll...D2fhpSejtN9pzsRJ2A-5tAWRI834GgjIaApTxEALw_wcB

Def a suit. It shows respect. To me what others wear is what you’d pick after you have the job but I’d think your first job is to impress and show deep respect for the person interviewing you. BE BOLD! Wear a suit and make sure your hair is cut and your clean shaven.

I use to hire ppl, you need to make an impression so they do not forget you!

One rule of thumb I was told in prep classes on the subject was to dress one level above the type of clothes you will wear on the job.
366-3665981_drawing-cloaks-greece-ancient-roman-toga-drawing.jpg

...another thing I remembered. If you can time the appointment, after lunch is great. Why? Because they are not hungry and in the afternoon they will remember you better. If someone is hungry or looking forward to a good lunch, then this isn’t their best time for you to talk to them - because, well, they are hungry!! :)

...another thing I remembered. If you can time the appointment, after lunch is great. Why? Because they are not hungry and in the afternoon they will remember you better. If someone is hungry or looking forward to a good lunch, then this isn’t their best time for you to talk to them - because, well, they are hungry!! :)

For academic research on the topic of more favourable decisions post-lunch, see
Extraneous factors in judicial decisions and The irrational hungry judge effect revisited: Simulations reveal that the magnitude of the effect is overestimated

That's interesting that so many people suggest a suit. I've never worn a suit to in an interview. I've always worn dress pants, button-up shirt, tie, dress shoes, and that's it. I've done close to ten interviews and gotten every job. Maybe it's different in different areas, I don't. Either way, I will be praying for you!

That's interesting that so many people suggest a suit. I've never worn a suit to in an interview. I've always worn dress pants, button-up shirt, tie, dress shoes, and that's it. I've done close to ten interviews and gotten every job. Maybe it's different in different areas, I don't. Either way, I will be praying for you!

It depends on the interview/job, most definitely!

Getting every single job opportunity is very unusual.

I would recommend that you call the place up beforehand and ask what is considered appropriate. Maybe ask it like this though- should you be in a suit, or is a nice (collared) shirt and nice slacks enough. It can be good to ask because it shows that you know to ask for help if you aren't sure about something, but that is as long as you know how to ask for help too. Best wishes.

New Threads

Top Bottom