• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What really moves you?

Hadassah

Ok, so ever since I was a child, I'd get overly moved by certain music, stories, animals, etc. Could it be an aspie trait? ;) So tell me, what has moved you/moves you to the point that it's almost "over the top"?

Here are mine:

-Shakespeare's Sonnets
-Movie soundtracks
-If someone touches me, like puts their hand on my shoulder etc.
-If I see someone who seems lonely or an outcast (has had a rough life)
-If I make some kind of connection with an animal
-If I'm close to anything really old and historical. For example old books & buildings, or being in museums.

Music. when everything's right, my mood, the song, everything, I see it in my head and it just... moves me. Gets my mind going on things and ideas flowing.

Good art work, with lots of detail in it also helps me in becoming creative. History as well, though I do tend to stray a bit towards military history rather than history as a whole.
Talking to people like me also helps a little. Heck, I'll just settle for being friendly.

I love movie soundtracks. The best ones are often audio metaphors for a theme or feeling at a point in time or place.

Sometimes I wonder that if I could describe my life with A/S, it would be by having people hear the second track (Main Title) of the John Barry soundtrack from "King Rat". Certainly nothing flattering, but it might elegantly explain my sadness and despair in a way that nothing else could.

Don't bother looking for the MP3 online though. There's one source I found and it's the wrong music. Guess people would have to buy the CD or come to visit me to actually hear it! Oh well...in any event, yes- music can move me in many ways.

Music; it moves me more than anything else.

The last song/instrumental that greatly moved me was this Vangelis piece from Cosmos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Movies and music!!

Emotional movies make me cry so easily, I get so wrapped up in the characters that I can fully empathize with them if the story is strong enough. Funny how that doesn't work in the real world. Sometimes videos and stories if they hit the right strings in me too.

Music is the opposite though. It makes me feel so good and I get caught up in the beats pretty easily. Doesn't matter if it's a sad song though, as long as the tune is good, it will make me feel good. I also enjoy songs with amazing original beats. Anything by Damon Albarn is gold to me, especially Gorillaz. On a side note, I saw them in concert, best show evvvaaah!! I also love Pink Floyd, Archive, and Eels. Genius music at its best.

Something on TV moved me the other day. I was watching a programme about the 2nd world war and there was a brief black and white clip of an SS guard, a mother and her young child (about 3 or 4 years old) beside some railway sidings at a concentration camp. The SS guard was trying to separate them and they kept trying to keep together. I don't cry that often but this made me cry like I hadn't done for a long time, probably my childhood. Its been several days since I saw the programme and I am still disturbed by it now and always will be.

Clouds fascinate me. Like snowflakes each one is unique. The calm serenity of wispy clouds hovering over a cumulonimbus cloud as it dances with the sun, reveals no hint of the turmoil occurring at ground level. We live on an amazing planet.

Music can really move me, but usually I have to feel good about the words too. Though there are some instrumentals that I like. The arts in general move me, art, theatre, dance.

I have come to realize, that movie soundtracks are definitely the ones that move me the most... My soul feels like bursting to them.. So many emotions, longings.. Here's one from Anna Karenina, which makes me gasp for air at times :,) (This scene in the movie I had to watch over and over again, so beautiful -Levin in the morning field, seeing Kitty passing by in her carriage, wind playing with her ribbons, ah, so longing..)

I've come to realize I don't think I have this trigger that "moves" me at all... at least, not from what people mean here (from my understanding). But maybe I just haven't found the right thing... music doesn't move me at all. To me it's notes arranged to appeal to the general populous.. and considering I've listened to plenty of music that is defined as "discordant", or in simple terms "off" or "detuned", I'm not sure I'm processing that right even.

I have come to realize, that movie soundtracks are definitely the ones that move me the most... My soul feels like bursting to them.. So many emotions, longings.. Here's one from Anna Karenina, which makes me gasp for air at times :,) (This scene in the movie I had to watch over and over again, so beautiful -Levin in the morning field, seeing Kitty passing by in her carriage, wind playing with her ribbons, ah, so longing..)

Yes, well-done movie soundtracks amount to audio metaphors, often capturing the essence of a film or particular scene. An amazing process! ;)

Hehe, yup! Right about that sir ;) I actually collect movie soundtracks, I always buy the ones, that move me the most! <3

Hehe, yup! Right about that sir ;) I actually collect movie soundtracks, I always buy the ones, that move me the most! <3

Me too!

Bernard Herrmann, Maurice Jarre, John Barry, John Williams, Randy Edelman, Ron Goodwin, Jerry Goldsmith and others.

Awesome composers...

Me too!

Bernard Herrmann, Maurice Jarre, John Barry, John Williams, Randy Edelman, Ron Goodwin, Jerry Goldsmith and others.

Awesome composers...

Awesome!!!! :D

Good ones! Oh oh and also James Newton Howard, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore! ;)

@King_Oni Yes, maybe you just haven't found what really moves you yet! I hope you find it someday :)

Last edited:
Music (depends on mood and lyrics )
Art (classical, old, historical )
Books (history, true story, adventure )
Animals
Zelda
Musicals
Dance
Soulful songs

Nature, music, dark chocolate, touching/hugging, football, photography, humor, pine trees, friends, history

When I was a kid I befriended troubled kids-those kicked out of other schools, overweight kids & new kids who didn't fit in

Any time Optimus Prime dies
When (with the older I get) any character I like in any film or TV show dies
When animals are mistreated
Whenever I hear this
Possibly the only piece of music that kicks me off, 100% of the time.
Good photography
Real beauty
When people are bullied
When someone who has had a rough life, finally gets something they deserve.

New Threads

Top Bottom