• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What really moves you?

Anything that evokes thoughts of strength & power, struggle and defiance, or success in the face of all odds tends to move me. It might be apparent why. :)

Seeing that scene from the film "Shawshank Redemption".

Where Andy Dufresne escapes...and is standing in a stream...raising his hands and head towards to night sky...in total triumph. He is free.

I love that. I wish I could have such a moment. Maybe someday!

Music's been the one constant that's driven much of my life. I can't stand most rap or any heavy metal, but I love a lot of soft rock. Sadly, most pop music;s gone completely down the drain in the last decade, but I still enjoy the Backstreet Boys. I'm a big fan of Rascal Flatts, and Michael Jackson's music has been a large part of my life too.

Like so many of you, music can really move me. Some pieces move me to joy, others to sorrow. I used to have trouble with this when I was performing because I'd get so wrapped up in the music and words that everything else, the audience, the bright lights, everything would fade away until the music was all that remained.

Gentleness also moves me whether it's toward myself or between others. There is something beautiful when an old woman caresses the cheek of her husband, or when a child reaches out in perfect trust to his mother or father.

Music (especially meaningful songs with belting at the end of it) dogs, tears, and outstanding acting on plays. The last is my number one.When an actor can capture an emotion so equally intense, it's hard not to cry. It's like an electric current of emotion straight to the heart. And not every actor can do that. It touches me soooo deeply.

When many people come together with a common purpose. I love songs sung by many people, stories that involve all of us banding together to accomplish something greater than what an individual could have, unity in the face of adversity & the resulting progress moves me to tears.

I agree with the music comments, it's a very visual experience.. every time I listen to something I like there's a virtual music video playing in my head.

It's amazing, it's usually tied into a few of my obsessions at the time too.. unfortunately for my mother this meant I played said songs many of hundreds of times (if not thousands)

Emotionally - very little, some of my friends say that films and adverts make them cry.. this isn't me at all, I can be very po-faced and very little of it ruffles me. I empathize (somewhat) to certain things but it doesn't move me to tears etc.

Although music has done many times, certain visual images etc.

Definitely music, I need a combination of lyrics and instruments. Certain books and movie scenes can also affect me.

Often I'm moved by nature. I can feel such joy from a sunny summer day, or walking alone through a rain storm.

I am capable of falling deeply in love with certain songs. I spent over a month listening to Black Sabbath's "Hard Road" over and over again.

An enticing path up a hill or mountain.

An expanse of water, with a rocky shore, or waves peeling in on a sandy beach.

Double black diamonds.
(not me skiing, but ski this, many times I have)

Good food.

Music but, not simply listening to it, that's just hearing a collection of notes and, sometimes, words arranged in a pleasing order. Performing music on a stage is what moves me. I know every performer out there will or has said the same - that's because it's true.

Nothing in this world compares to the energy, the raw power, the total vibe that happens between a musician and the audience when that musician is on the sage in front of thousands of fans and, every mind, every heart, every voice is 100% focused on every note of every song.

No one has ever managed to describe the feeling in words, it is one of those rare things that you really do have to experience to fully understand. It honestly makes no sense to me that I am not immune to it, that I feel it and love it the same as an NT would. it is a social interaction, social energy, it's public, I'm the center of attention, if I make a mistake or blunder, thousands, if not millions will see and hear it (due to live broadcast possibilities.) I have to talk to, interact with the audience. I'm expending every ounce of my own energy reserves, pushing my mind, body, voice, all of myself to give them more, to do more, be more. It's all social and emotional and, that sounds pretty anti aspie but, I and other aspie performers I know love it the same as NTs, it's the one thing I've found in this world that NT or aspie, the experience and, love of the experience is the same, the one time I'm just like everyone else that does what I do.

The first string part of Sam cookes a change is gonna come makes me tear up every time. Also listening to pale blue dot by Carl Sagan. There are others but those are two off the top of my head right now.

Machines, big, complex machines. I have had the pleasure of working on some really fantastic machines in my lifetime. My fascination with machinery has gotten me into trouble because at times I have bitten off more than I can chew. I just need to learn to say "no".

Thrills. In my younger days I was quite a risk taker. Mostly dirt bikes and snowmobiles. I liked to ride off road as fast as I could. I scared myself a lot, but what a thrill! Sadly, those days are long gone.

New Threads

Top Bottom