• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What operating system are you using?

Still using Windows 7 64bit. Sadly at this point Linux really has nothing to offer for my needs, and driver compatibility is still an issue.

I've contemplated building a Hackintosh (Mac clone for those of you not familar) with one of these and a Sandy Bridge CPU, with money of course being the only barrier. I could do it right now, but I've made enough bad financial decisions :/

Last edited:
The desktop (that I use) is windows XP, we have a laptop with vista on it (but that's up north with my dad who fixed it after my husband spilt coffee all over it, it will be for our daughter when we get it back) and my husband's new laptop has windows 7. I really need a new computer or to upgrade this one but it's having the cash.

I still use XP SP3. Mostly because I don't see any particular upsides into upgrading. I've heard nothing but complaints about people with Vista or 7 actually. XP is still running smooth here, and I prefer a smooth system when I'm working with music apps. Also, I have some audio hardware which doesn't have the most stable Vista or 7 drivers but has stable XP drivers.

yep, i can relate to that! win xp for my music programs, mac snow leopard for video editing and photograph stuff, iOS (iPad) for generally everything else!

By the way, I'm interested - how aspies sensitive to the new OS and software versions and interface changes? I can very quiclky adapt myself to any interface and unknown software. Several years ago I worked on old Mandrake Linux (named Mandriva now) distribution with about 10 very different window managers and desktop environments and I learned all of them in about 30 minutes. Also no problem with new interfaces like Unity or Metro or new ribbon interface in MS Office 2007-2010. My colleagues (neurotypical) always afraids new interfaces and new software versions and considers Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 very uncomfortable and hard to work systems.

I asked because I heard that aspies mainly dislikes any changes because it makes them anxious or stressed. And such my ability looks not so typical for an aspie.

By the way, I'm interested - how aspies sensitive to the new OS and software versions and interface changes? I can very quiclky adapt myself to any interface and unknown software. Several years ago I worked on old Mandrake Linux (named Mandriva now) distribution with about 10 very different window managers and desktop environments and I learned all of them in about 30 minutes. Also no problem with new interfaces like Unity or Metro or new ribbon interface in MS Office 2007-2010. My colleagues (neurotypical) always afraids new interfaces and new software versions and considers Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 very uncomfortable and hard to work systems.

I asked because I heard that aspies mainly dislikes any changes because it makes them anxious or stressed. And such my ability looks not so typical for an aspie.

maybe it's different if it's something you're interested in? plus it's a spectrum disorder, so everyone's slightly different. but I agree about NT people being a pain about things like this changing! ;) It's amazing how many times I come across NT people who haven't the inclination to work out what to do, and just moan about something! I think NT moaning is worse than Aspie problems. Then again, maybe it's us aspies who need to moan back more but are afraid to do so?* I often get asked to fix things and help show NT people how something works tech wise. So I try and avoid those people as much as I can! :) I usually have no idea about something new either, but my obsessive interest in learning "how something works" usually makes it look to them like I already know the answers! I don't, I just think about the problem rather than moan to someone else to fix it!

Ooops, this has triggered a mini-rant from me!, :banghead:

*because we all know we can't upset the NT world order, can we?! :{

Tarragon said:
maybe it's different if it's something you're interested in?

I think that this is probably a kind of a "technical intuition" - as sometimes I feel like I already know the work principles of mechanisms and software.

Now replaced my Xubuntu to Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity and restored Windows 7 after trying the Metro interface on Windows 8 RC. Will wait until the final release of Windows 8:)

By the way, I'm interested - how aspies sensitive to the new OS and software versions and interface changes? I can very quiclky adapt myself to any interface and unknown software.

Maybe the problem is not that we have problems adapting (we learned to live in a NT world, I think of that as a great adaptation), but we just don't like it. When Ubuntu shifted its interface to Unity, I stepped back, changed my distro to Arch Linux and started using GNOME Shell, even being also a new interface (my complains were because Unity was very buggy). It turned out that I liked Gnome Shell very much, despite the general critics all over the web.

Last edited:

I'm pretty adaptable. I've used Windows XP, Vista, and 7, as well as a couple of different versions of Ubuntu (mostly on the slower machines I've owned). Ubuntu was fairly frustrating for me; I didn't have any particular problems learning how to work it, but for what I do on computers - mostly word-processing, email, and music - the effort and time wasn't really worth it to me.

I'm using OS X Mountain Lion now - just got a new Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty neutral on the issue of Windows vs. Mac. They both have their strong and weak points. But this is definitely the nicest *computer* I have ever owned, so I have no complaints whatsoever. :D

I'm running a few different Linux distros. As much as I love games , I just can go back to Windows ! I had to replace my dad's SATA drive this past weekend and completely reinstall the windows os. Not a "big deal" except for the fact that after getting the reinstall disk from HP (as his recovery partition was lost) the complete reinstall of windows took hours !! Grrrr So much "bloat ware " and stuff you don't need ! lol

Something I have not seen much of on here: Windows 8? Has anyone tried the final release? I see a lot of love and a lot of hate towards it on teh interwebs.

Something I have not seen much of on here: Windows 8? Has anyone tried the final release? I see a lot of love and a lot of hate towards it on teh interwebs.

I tried it once when I was at Best Buy with my girlfriend (a Windows 7 user). We both hated the interface. For me, disliking the interface isn't saying very much since the type of GUI that I like is vastly different from anything that Windows has ever had. Still, the design felt awkward and uncomfortable.

I have Windows 8 and sometimes (sometimes) it's tolerable. But I much prefer predictable behaviour from my computer. :stomp:

Windows XP for the desktop for now since I am trying to save up for an iMac.

Then for the laptop it's Macintosh OSX Tiger. My macbook is ancient. :laugh:

New Threads

Top Bottom