• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DiverseWonderland

I can do anything!
So we know about the "Social Guidelines" and what is considered "Normal" These days but what i want to know is what do you all do that you consider "normal" for yourself or what do you do that most others don't do?

For instance I will play by imagining something in my head but on the outside i'm just pacing around the area in a circle Or the way i talk and maybe even my posture/body language might not be considered the "Norm" (Or i'm just to dramatic sometimes or not dramatic enough) and some of my interests might not be what people my age are normally interested in. Anyways what is your Guy's version of "Normal" :) (Sorry if my question wasn't specific enough)

Special interests are very common for us and can be very specific or idiosyncratic. So if an Aspie's thing is push Vacuum Cleaners made between 1950 - Early 60's most of us wouldn't consider it unusual. Very active imagination is also widespread, as well as non adhesion to typical age interests or behaviors. We can be considered old or young for our age.

To me, how I experience life is normal to me, just like anyone else would do.

My normal is not being normal. I just like to do my own thing, not be interrupted, and not have to be around people often.

Normal is overrated, weirdness is wonderful. Whilst many of us have things in common and exclaim "me too!" when someone else highlights something we share, there is so much variety amongst us that there is no normal.

I think the big unifying factor amomgst us is that people who believe in the concept of normal and consider themselves to be normal, very often think we are weird.

Last edited:
My normal is keeping to myself, avoiding social events (or avoiding people in general-they're a pain to talk to), collecting stuffed animals, reading, and binge-researching autism.

My normal is just being me. I may or may do do things that other people do. I eat, walk, work, do chores, sleep at night, drink, listen to music, watch documentaries online, use the internet - these are all 'normal' things that the majority of people do, human things. Things I do that not so many others don't do are: I obsessively collect music: digital, CDs and vinyl records, I speak several languages fluently, I can't stand eggs or tomatoes, I don't like sports or most TV shows, I can't stand TV commercials and refuse to watch them, so I almost never watch TV, I'm female but have no interest in fashion or 'girly' stuff, I have no idea about pop culture so don't get people's references, I don't play video games, I have a flat, boring voice and wear the same clothes all the time, I look and sound a bit different and have a silly sense of humour. All of these things are a part of my personality and are normal to me.

Paul Simon's song says it best: ...a good day ain't got no rain,
and a bad day's when I lie in bed and think about what could have been...Slip sliding away.

My normal is just being me. I may or may do do things that other people do. I eat, walk, work, do chores, sleep at night, drink, listen to music, watch documentaries online, use the internet - these are all 'normal' things that the majority of people do, human things. Things I do that not so many others don't do are: I obsessively collect music: digital, CDs and vinyl records, I speak several languages fluently, I can't stand eggs or tomatoes, I don't like sports or most TV shows, I can't stand TV commercials and refuse to watch them, so I almost never watch TV, I'm female but have no interest in fashion or 'girly' stuff, I have no idea about pop culture so don't get people's references, I don't play video games, I have a flat, boring voice and wear the same clothes all the time, I look and sound a bit different and have a silly sense of humour. All of these things are a part of my personality and are normal to me.
I also loathe TV commercials! They are bar none my least favorite thing in life and I'm serious. I stopped playing video games back in the 90's. I have very little facial expressions and I wear the same clothes all the time. I am just now learning how to look like you give a crap through your physical appearance. I have a ridiculous, nonsensical sense of humor.

Define "normal"?! Contrary to popular belief, Aspies and full blown Autistic people are just as "normal" as NT people IMO.

Last edited:
Contrary to poplar belief,

iwtb.png

New Threads

Top Bottom