• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Shaun-Junior Bishop

Hi all,

As some of you may know I have recently been diagnosed with ASD and i have just recieved a short letter to confirm that i fit the criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder in both the DSM-5 and the ICD-11 and in the letter it stated i would receive a full diagnostic report in the next few weeks.

Im just wondering what it will say and contain because the assessor did not cover my sensory issues much and didnt really ask how they affected me. She didn't ask how my learning was in college but she did ask what GSCE's i got from school and just general life stuff.

Just wondered if anyone that has recieved a full report that is on the higher functioning side of autism would be able to give me an idea of what it will tell me.

I got a report like what your talking about. I was basically what they talked to me about and the answers I gave put into paragraph form. They also gave me recommendations on therapy and if I needed and support or not.

Last edited:
The "full report" will cover what tests and assessment tools were used in arriving at the diagnosis, and the scores on each of them. This is useful in case someone questions your diagnosis in the future or wonders what data were used to arrive at your diagnosis.

It's nothing for you to worry about. Most of it is professional jargon anyway. Put it away in a safe place when it arrives, in case you ever need to show it to anyone.

It can also be useful if you need to apply for disability or other government benefits.

Because you're in the UK! make sure you keep it! as I presume you're over the age of 25! there isn't any education in most of the UK or very many services! if you are labelled high functioning! so make sure you keep it ,the DWP will pick it apart with a fine tooth comb, GPS also are not a fount of support you've got to look after yourself.

if you are labelled high functioning

It may not mention that at all. Whilst it is still mentioned more than it should be, increasingly diagnosticians in the UK are moving on from notions like "high functioning". You are as likely to get a diagnosis of "ASD" or "ASD 1/2/3" as you are "Asperger's" or "HFA".

My experience here in a central USA state was the same. Technically, I was diagnosed as having ASD traits at a level 1.

When the psychologist, my wife at the time and I sat down to chat thru the diagnosis, the psychologist said, that ASD1 meant that I didn’t require significant help and I could live independently as a whole but periodically would need help depending on the extent of my additional psychological challenges.

It may not mention that at all. Whilst it is still mentioned more than it should be, increasingly diagnosticians in the UK are moving on from notions like "high functioning". You are as likely to get a diagnosis of "ASD" or "ASD 1/2/3" as you are "Asperger's" or "HFA".
Will it say what level am i at in the report? because my letter just confirmed the diagnoses. Im only asking because i am really struggling in education and i feel i need support and i just want to know how i will know what support i will be entitled too

It should do Shaun. Functioning labels like "high functioning" don't really mean anything useful so they are gradually being dropped. Countries which use the US DSM manual don't use them anymore and the rest of the world is moving away from them too. They actually work against us, not for us.

You may be classed as ASD 1, 2 or 3 which relates to the amount of help you need and whether you have any other issues or conditions you need help with.

Whichever system they use, they should explain it in the report. If they don't or you need clarification, we can certainly help then, but until then it's just speculation. Tell us more once you have the report and we'll gladly help if you want us to :)

It should do Shaun. Functioning labels like "high functioning" don't really mean anything useful so they are gradually being dropped. Countries which use the US DSM manual don't use them anymore and the rest of the world is moving away from them too. They actually work against us, not for us.

You may be classed as ASD 1, 2 or 3 which relates to the amount of help you need and whether you have any other issues or conditions you need help with.

Whichever system they use, they should explain it in the report. If they don't or you need clarification, we can certainly help then, but until then it's just speculation. Tell us more once you have the report and we'll gladly help if you want us to :)
The organisation i went with 'integrated autism service' was actually really good. They were so nice and didnt push me when it was too much. They have given me a follow up appointment in January to discuss the report and any support i will need and stuff. I just get complusive thoughts when something is in the unknown. Not sure if its common in asd but its like it just repeats over and over in my head

I was supposed to get a full report in the mail but never did. Didn't surprise me though, because this doctor failed to follow through on any paperwork he'd offer to get to me.

I was supposed to get a full report in the mail but never did. Didn't surprise me though, because this doctor failed to follow through on any paperwork he'd offer to get to me.
Im sorry to hear that, the person i got my assessment from seems to be nicr. I have another appointment with her in January

I am in Wales, UK.
I lived in Wales for a few years - down south. Back in England now, but not far from the bridges :)
Adult Autism services in Wales were terrible then (around the turn of the century) and still aren't great by all accounts, but you should get a full report.
There's quite a lot of Welsh autistics I converse with regularly.

New Threads

Top Bottom