• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your thoughts on this meme I made?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Is it accurate or not? I made it because many people think that we’re kind of unemotional, so I used pictures of kuuderes for these two versions:
73526543-64F4-4AEF-B382-085F9E19ABE7.png 259807D3-4AED-486A-AE57-BE5FE9FF2877.png

None of those look like representations of ASD people to me,
regardless of whose viewpoint they are supposed to be from.

I think I understand what you're trying to say / convey, but the message didn't come out that way. (I'm confused)

I think the issue here is that the meme is kinda requiring that the viewer know certain characters here.

I recognize Yuki (girl with glasses) and know that in the show she's basically emotionless most of the time, so she sorta works with what I think you're saying. But others who dont know her will just see an anime character who isnt really doing anything at that particular moment.

If you're gonna make a meme, ya gotta get more visually obvious. So that the viewer doesnt need to know the characters at all. There's a good reason why the visual elements in memes like this are usually a little exaggerated.

Huh, as NT I think I get your meme? Are you trying to say that the autistic stereotype is that autistics can get anxious/nervous, while the NT stereotype is that autistics are emotionless? This is what I got from your images.

Sorry, but from my perspective using Anime imagery says nothing to me.

Keep in mind the importance of visual metaphors. That we need to be seen as human beings- not cartoons.

But others who don't know her will just see an anime character who isn't really doing anything at that particular moment.

That's exactly what I saw.

Looking at two anime characters that I don't recognize feels like I'm being asked to play Spot-the-Difference.

I’m sorry to say I don’t understand what the meme is trying to convey. I just see two anime characters that don’t tell me anything. Sorry :(

Same as most others. All the pictures look very similar and don't convey anything particularly autism related to me.

One suggestion is to have more difference and a louder message in the pictures.

Something like:

How we see ourselves

im-done-funny-alien.gif

How others see us

mars-attacks-alien.gif

;)

Okay, from my archive, I shall grant you an example of an anime meme that works for anyone:

26ff708a6494a1438bf006cf288b37cd65015b8ar1-750-995v2_uhq (2).jpg

You dont need to know who either of those two characters are in order to get the joke.

Huh, as NT I think I get your meme? Are you trying to say that the autistic stereotype is that autistics can get anxious/nervous, while the NT stereotype is that autistics are emotionless? This is what I got from your images.
Sort of, for much of my youth, I often imagined that people would view an Autistic person as someone who was both socially awkward and socially anxious, as I myself and a lot of the people I know were socially anxious. I never realized until recently that NTs viewed us in a quite different light

This reminds me of the sailor moon outfit I saw in the store the other day. It was really skimpy. Cosplay it's amazing.

Sort of, for much of my youth, I often imagined that people would view an Autistic person as someone who was both socially awkward and socially anxious, as I myself and a lot of the people I know were socially anxious. I never realized until recently that NTs viewed us in a quite different light

I agree with Misery on making your images more exaggerated, possibly a lot more. I understood what you meant by the characters because I could understand their body language+expression, which is probably what’s causing confusion for other members here. The social cues are a bit subtle even for me.

As for the part on “what you imagined NTs thought” vs what most NTs actually think, I think that’s hard to convey purely from images. I would go with Tom’s approach, where you alter the words on your meme altogether. Possibly change them into something like “what I thought other people think” vs “what they actually think.”

New Threads

Top Bottom