• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your experiences with/thoughts on wearing a sunflower lanyard

In which situation are you wearing a sunflower lanyard or simelar

• A what? (I don't know what it is)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Never, but I would if I had one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never, I don't like to wear it

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Some times, in specific situations

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • All, or most of the time

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's not applicable where I live

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kriss72

they/them/their
V.I.P Member
I would like to hear others experiences with wearing a sunflower lanyard, I know it is not well-known in all places/countries.

I wear mine most of the time when going outside my home. I do it to signal to others that I might have a difficult time, and my sunglasses and headphones aren't a fashion statement.

I tell my self that staff is more helpful and patient with me when I wear it I have not had any bad experiences, and I'm not so afraid to stand out, but I'm also not 100% comfortable with it

I don't need one really, even though I get stressed in crowded public places if strangers stand too near me or young children are too loud, it still doesn't make much difference to my behaviour or capabilities.

Also I wouldn't want to stand out. If I did wear one, people would probably stare more, wondering what invisible disability I have. Yes, around here strangers are way too concerned of what other strangers are doing. I could wear one whenever I have one of my sinusitis flare-ups (or Irritable Sinus Syndrome) to let people know that I don't have anything contagious when I'm holding a tissue to my nose and my eyes are puffy and I'm heavily sneezing, all these being more severe than if I was to have a virus.

It seems vague and possibly too discreet to offer much help. At the same time, I do like secret messages and codes. I have not worn one nor been with anyone who has, but I hope that it helps those who choose to wear it. :sunflower:

I didn't know about it, thank you for telling me. I probably wouldn't wear one, as a lanyard, but I love sunflowers and now I know of that significance, I would probably wear a sunflower on clothing, not because anyone would get the symbolism (I don't think it's too well known here in Australia) but because I know of it's significance. That's enough for me.

I didn't know about it, thank you for telling me. I probably wouldn't wear one, as a lanyard, but I love sunflowers and now I know of that significance, I would probably wear a sunflower on clothing, not because anyone would get the symbolism (I don't think it's too well known here in Australia) but because I know of it's significance. That's enough for me.
I have a sunflower wristband that I carry all the time, (I have a lot of different wristbands on all the time), there is also a sunflower pin on the small bag I always carry around with my essentials inside :)

Yeah I really don't know how well known it is - the shopping center I go to every Saturday tells about it on their info screens - like, "someone with a sunflower might need extra time" with a picture of a lanyard.

It's not really well known or recognized in North America in general. We also don't tend to wear lanyards as much, in my experience (see also Anyone else recognise this in themselves?).

That being stated, I will often wear a sunflower lanyard when traveling through airports, and I keep a spare in my travel bag. I've found that where it's been spotted and recognized, that the security screeners are often more patient and take time to explain things, both of which I find helpful in reducing travel related anxiety.

I don't need one really, even though I get stressed in crowded public places if strangers stand too near me or young children are too loud, it still doesn't make much difference to my behaviour or capabilities.
Yeah it's not really helpful in those situations.
Also I wouldn't want to stand out. If I did wear one, people would probably stare more, wondering what invisible disability I have.
Yes, that is one of my concerns too, but then I'm the kind of person that makes parents shy when their children comment on me anyway :)
Yes, around here strangers are way too concerned of what other strangers are doing. I could wear one whenever I have one of my sinusitis flare-ups (or Irritable Sinus Syndrome) to let people know that I don't have anything contagious when I'm holding a tissue to my nose and my eyes are puffy and I'm heavily sneezing, all these being more severe than if I was to have a virus
Could be an idea for that purpose...

It seems vague and possibly too discreet to offer much help. At the same time, I do like secret messages and codes. I have not worn one nor been with anyone who has, but I hope that it helps those who choose to wear it. :sunflower:
The staff in the shops, airports, amusement parks, libraries etc that support it here have all been trained in looking for it, and what it means.

The staff in the shops, airports, amusement parks, libraries etc that support it here have all been trained in looking for it, and what it means.

That's very encouraging. I think it will spread... like a field of sunflowers.

:sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower::sunflower:

Our hospital is pretty progressive and liberal leaning with their employment policies and practices. I had to look it up, as I've never heard of any mention of the "sunflower" to symbolize anything. I've been wearing an "autism puzzle" on my ID lanyard for years now, and I think maybe 3 people have recognized it as such. Plenty of people wear the "LGTBQ rainbow" and I think nearly everyone has an understanding of what that is.

I think there is a general lack of publicity when it comes to certain things like colors of ribbons and different symbols. Then again, some people sort of "rebel" against anything perceived as "identity".

I would love to wear one. It’s a good hidden detail that you can tell people without physically telling them. I think it’s a cool idea to have. If you want to wear one, go for it. I have a strawberry lanyard I plan to wear at my new job in the future.

I looked into it, and decided it would be lost on the bulk of Australians so I bought a T shirt instead. I plan on getting more, as my way of bringing our shared neuro issues into awareness.
I did see a lot gorgeous sunflower T shirts, but they would be lost on Aussies, too, in relation to our neuro challenges. I do want them as well though. They would look good matched with the lanyard. I like co ordinating colours and themes in clothes.

Not sure if it means anything in my country (fellow Americans: do people outside the spectrum know what this is near your area? That doesn't seem to be the case around my parts), but I love the idea.

I would love to wear one. It’s a good hidden detail that you can tell people without physically telling them. I think it’s a cool idea to have. If you want to wear one, go for it. I have a strawberry lanyard I plan to wear at my new job in the future.
Does the strawberry lanyard have a special meaning? Congratulations on the new job :)

I looked into it, and decided it would be lost on the bulk of Australians so I bought a T shirt instead. I plan on getting more, as my way of bringing our shared neuro issues into awareness.
I guess people need to start wearing them before they get known in the public. I can't take having my arms uncovered, so always have something on top of my t-shirts.
I did see a lot gorgeous sunflower T shirts, but they would be lost on Aussies, too, in relation to our neuro challenges. I do want them as well though. They would look good matched with the lanyard. I like co ordinating colours and themes in clothes.
Yes, I think that could look good.

Had to look it up (Thanks @tree). I think it would depend on where I was/lived. In some places or situations it might be useful, but in others perhaps a target.

My home airport also has a sunflower sticker that one can have put on their boarding pass for those who wish to be more discrete.

images

At airports, I've seen others wear a sunflower lanyard several times in Canada, but only once in the U.S.

Outside of airports, the UK is the only place I've seen people wear a sunflower lanyard, and in the cases I've seen, it was worn in lieu of a work or school lanyard.

The UK is the only place I've worn one outside of an airport.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom